Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Does this sound wrong to anyone else?

clintondane

A guy on trademe is selling a manual '05 Blitzen sedan and claims that witth an ECU reflash, freeflow exhaust from turbo back and lightened pulleys is making 200kw/atw :oThat seems heaps for what seem like very few mods ??? Abdul, here in dunedin has done HEAPS to his legacy including link, possum buikt engine etc etc and makes 219atw. Curious and curiouser. That kinda power definitely appeals to me, lol.

05 would be twin scroll? they are basically an sti in drag.... should be about 180 ish standard.... 03 sti impreza can get 200 with tune and free flow, i know, i've got the ecu data on my computer, and ws there when it did dyno run. i dont see how it isn't possible...

Sti in drag, lol. Good to know man, call it my stupidity and lack of mechanical apptitude ::) I just figured a car making 206kw would lose a heap of power between the crank and the wheels, so much so that a simple tune and exhaust etc wouldn't make that much of a difference. Glad to be proven wrong though and learn something, cheers. Definitely makes me see the manual Spec B BP/BL's in a different light and more keen to stick with Subis.

i'm very tempted to pick up a leggy as a track car. they are quite a bit heavier, yeah, but still, the power is there.

sti in drag, well, that's kinda how i see it. single turbing an older leggy with an sti ecu gets some damn good results i've heard... rev d however, you can just reflash the computer to do whatever you'd like, within reason. flash the sti tuning with lower boost... remove speed cuts etc. you could get a standard ish leggy to have some serious up and go with a laptop and some patience.

kamineko said:

just to be negative, i would also be considering the reliability of a highly strung factory engine

As reliable as the foot on the gas!....Tis a hi spec motor....well tuned we assume....so......Can be called a race engine A?

As Kaminko would say.... So long as it crosses the finish before it finishes itself All good!!

A knocky tune ??? Have spoken with a few people in the know that agree 200wkw is possible with the minor mods he's done but worry about the long term reliabilty of the engine etc. I dont know what the pistons, rings, crank etc are all like in the BP/BL legacy engines? Forged aluminum pistons, cast, who knows, not me thats for sure.

200 is no prob for those engines

200 isnt a huge number

Properly built engine - check, Properly tuned - check, Properly driven ---?

IF all three above are correct then the engine will last a long time - change any of the above and engine will fail

For what its worth those BL/BP have

twin scroll, and dual avcs...

From factory they produce max torque around 2400rpm !

Still have my BL Blitzen (atm) , have a guy coming back to me on Wed re-buying it

And are in two minds whether to sell it or not - its one fab car

(i had posted that it was sold , but that fell over with a time waster !!)

• 2 weeks later...

I think some people are not looking at the fact that if mods are carried out correctly, effectivley and wisely good reliable power can be gained.

I carried out the work on the blitzen in question and I was also shocked at the power output, the pulley kit gains on average of 8kw alone.

The car has been very reliable and is an awsome car to drive, it has power in every gear at any rpm.

If modifications are carried out correctly, good gains can be made.

webup']

[quote name='clintondane said:

I just figured a car making 206kw would lose a heap of power between the crank and the wheels

/quote]

They do! Almost 30% of power at the engine is lost on these AWD cars by the time it hits the wheels.

My 05 GT is putting down too much power for the transmission now and when its opened up in 3rd gear doing 120kmh up to redline it slips like crazy.

Getting the valve body modded in the USA which will help but I may end up replacing the tranny at some point.

Hmmm how much power are you making at the wheels then? Can't imagine 200kw would trouble the transmission?

clintondane']

[quote name='clintondane said:

I just figured a car making 206kw would lose a heap of power between the crank and the wheels

/quote]

They do! Almost 30% of power at the engine is lost on these AWD cars by the time it hits the wheels.

My 05 GT is putting down too much power for the transmission now and when its opened up in 3rd gear doing 120kmh up to redline it slips like crazy.

Getting the valve body modded in the USA which will help but I may end up replacing the tranny at some point.

Hmmm how much power are you making at the wheels then? Can't imagine 200kw would trouble the transmission?

Remember, transmissions dont give a fuck how much POWER you are making, its the torque output that over loads them

True enough and i do understand the difderence between torque and hp. Even making 200wkw i cant imagine those few mods would increase the torque to dangerous levels? What do they make standard, 340ish nm/torque. It is a valid point and itd be good if the guy that did the work could provide a torque figure to put things into perspective. Be good if it was an a curate torque reading too, not these uncalibrated etc numbers like some on here post, ie: "my car makes 250kw and 1200nm of torque". Not even lamborghinis with massive V12 engines make that much torque.

clintondane said:

A guy on trademe is selling a manual '05 Blitzen sedan and claims that witth an ECU reflash, freeflow exhaust from turbo back and lightened pulleys is making 200kw/atw :oThat seems heaps for what seem like very few mods ??? Abdul, here in dunedin has done HEAPS to his legacy including link, possum buikt engine etc etc and makes 219atw. Curious and curiouser. That kinda power definitely appeals to me, lol.

That doesn't seem unrealistic. My BH with a diff back exhaust, intake resonator removal and a tune made just shy of that on the GCP dyno day a year ago.