Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

cheap spare key for bp5?

i ve just bought a 04 bp5 turbo, nice ride but only have one key. Got a quote from subaru hamilton, 580 for one key!scare me a bit. Does anyone know where to get a cheaper one?

resurrection.inc said:

Ok i dont think your listening to me mr minit in the malls in chch ric and northlands do replacement transponder keys u take your original and they do there thing they cut the key and program it

I very much doubt Mr Minnit can reprogram a new Subaru transponder

key cutters as in Mr Mint, beveridges , lock shop CAN cut Subaru transponder keys

No they dont program them, they dont have to - as the COPY your trandsponder key frequency

So effectively you end up with two keys with the same frequency and NO coding is required

However there keys arent equipped with remote door/boot function

Ichi Ban said:

key cutters as in Mr Mint, beveridges , lock shop CAN cut Subaru transponder keys

No they dont program them, they dont have to - as the COPY your trandsponder key frequency

So effectively you end up with two keys with the same frequency and NO coding is required

However there keys arent equipped with remote door/boot function

might not that easy mate, you cant just copy the code from the original key, the code will change every time you press the button or use the key, the car wont accept keys being copied like that, you have to get the car programmed to accept any new keys.

the chip transponder keys ARE NOT rolling code

As I stated they can NOT do remote door opening on there keys but they CAN do keys which have the same transponder code = car will start

But why start a thread , if you not prepared to take on info

infact why post a thread at all if you what YOU know is that genuine is the ONLY way

Ichi Ban said:

As I stated they can NOT do remote door opening on there keys but they CAN do keys which have the same transponder code = car will start

infact why post a thread at all if you what YOU know is that genuine is the ONLY way

Thank u :)

Ichi Ban said:

cheers mate, ll give it a try.

One of our genuine keys ceased working with the remote central locking/factory alarm. It did however still start the car no problem and our car has the factory immobiliser. Winger technicians re-synched the key back to the car to get the remote functions working.

As I understand, the immobiliser circuit in the key is energised by a radio signal emitted by the car when the key is inserted in the barrel. The key sends a code back to unlock the immobiliser. Locksmiths have equipment that can replicate the transponder.

The remote central locking function in the key is more like an alarm remote and probably requires the manufacturer's specific unit to work - like you can't buy a uniden alarm remote and try to get it to work on your mongoose alarm.

Definitely go back to the dealer you bought the car from though - if you did buy from a dealer.

When I bought my BP, the dealer showed me a large drawer full of keys for various vehicles if their yard. They invariably have one key in the ignition that they know is for that car, and keep a tag on. It arrived that way when imported.

I was told by the dealer that the spare key is often not shipped with the car, but arrives independently. If it's battery is flat (and they often are) it's hard for the dealer to take the time to figure out which car it's for... So it ends up in a drawer somewhere in the yard, and isn't passed on to the new owner.

I found my spare key in the drawer by taking all the BP keys out & trying them in the ignition... The only $ I had to spend was for a new battery.