Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Wastegate Position????

STiNGR

Got me a gate I'm wanting to put on. Car does not have aftermarket headers. Wondering where the best/easiest place I should fix the gate. Was thinking the up pipe but thats a c**t of a job to do aint it?

Any help or suggestions would be mint.

Will be fixing it to a 1999 wrx.

But you just have to have an external ::) The most essential of all basic modifications.......

Just get a manifold off a twin turbo, on the passengers side there's an open hole that used to have an up-pipe to the secondary turbo, weld an external to that old up-pipe flange and run it over on that side.

Koom said:

But you just have to have an external ::) The most essential of all basic modifications.......

Just get a manifold off a twin turbo, on the passengers side there's an open hole that used to have an up-pipe to the secondary turbo, weld an external to that old up-pipe flange and run it over on that side.

Nice cheap solution but would it be as effective being so far away from the turbo?

Not really any difference between up there and mounting on the collector before the up-pipe like most people do (IMO better actually). The only shorter place I can think of is just below the turbo (and brake master cylinder etc) but that takes alot of stuffing round to fit and make it work.

johnny5 said:

Those sta pipes dont fit that well beware

Agreed, dont get the up pipe from STA parts, needs modifying to fit. I think the 'easiest' option would be to mount it off the headers before the up pipe. Make sure whoever does it is a quality welder tho, if they do a shit job the welds will crack from the weight of the gate when driving over bumps etc and you'll have leaks.

1CE']

[quote name='johnny5 said:

Those sta pipes dont fit that well beware

/quote]

Agreed, dont get the up pipe from STA parts, needs modifying to fit. I think the 'easiest' option would be to mount it off the headers before the up pipe. Make sure whoever does it is a quality welder tho, if they do a s*** job the welds will crack from the weight of the gate when driving over bumps etc and you'll have leaks.

Or get them to make a braket to secure it better!!

Ive always been told that the closer to the turbo the better?

Yeh closer to the turbo is better, but its a lot bigger job getting a gate fitted close to the turbo will lack of room. Will still function well mounted off the headers. Bracket is a good idea, i had one made for mine after the welds cracked

have tried lots and lots of setups on my old v3 and my older v2 i had

drilling straight into the driver side manifold works - arc weld it on instead of mig welder

if your after the "gangster screamer bro!!" definatly put it straight off the drivers manifold - point it down and backwards on an angle - beware u can see it through the front wheel arch how ever

if your after better boost controll then plumb it off directly under the turbo flange - either run it up above the turbo or have it hiding underneath the turbo - either way u can go to a screamer pipe or plumb it back into the downpipe on a angle

i had power gains in going from external down on the collector to a fully custom setup i made which mounted it up above the turbo and it plumbed back in - when plumbing in the angles are whats most important - as turbulence is a killer

stay away from the STA up pipes - it does say "may require modification" on the reciept for a reason

the turbo mounts to low - if you run a v3-6 intake - it hardly fits on

the gate fouls on the down pipe - cant bolt the gate on

plus theyre those stupid oversized up pipes - the pipe is farrr larger than the holes in the flanges - got flow? lol its rediculous

i brought one - was so far off fitting - i hacked it up and used it for parts lol waste of money

oh BTW the only gains i ever saw in using a external over an internal was the fact i could hold 20psi till redline - where as most people would taper down to around 16 odd psi

only reason i could achieve it was because the factory spring in the internal is 7psi - i ran a 1 bar spring with a hks evc upping the boost to 20 - the softer spring starts to "blow open" as the exhaust manifold pressure gets that high - with external with a hard spring it over came that

realistically theyre quite useless unless your having that problem (thats what i found anyway) - as the new VIRM states even a plumbed wastegate must be certed -

unless your after the "screamer auu"

bold statement i know but screaming them is wasting power

WRXONP said:

oh BTW the only gains i ever saw in using a external over an internal was the fact i could hold 20psi till redline - where as most people would taper down to around 16 odd psi

only reason i could achieve it was because the factory spring in the internal is 7psi - i ran a 1 bar spring with a hks evc upping the boost to 20 - the softer spring starts to "blow open" as the exhaust manifold pressure gets that high - with external with a hard spring it over came that

realistically theyre quite useless unless your having that problem (thats what i found anyway) - as the new VIRM states even a plumbed wastegate must be certed -

Same result I got, held boost at top end, better top end power.

It's been in the virm for at least a few years now - states any mod to the wastegate needs cert

Had the trouble when trying to get pink sticker off my first sub a few years ago

Modding even includes welding it shut - best way around it is use a bracket to he gate firmly shut (if u just leave actuator on it will blow open above 16 psi) and when wof time comes refit internal actuator and plumb vac hose to it and remove external and put blank flange on it

Or do tithe legal way and get it certed or else stick to internal

1CE']

[quote name='WRXONP said:

/quote]

Same result I got, held boost at top end, better top end power.

i had my wastegate in the exact same position as brad. Using a vf30. and that still tapered off towards redline.. using a mint hks evc 6. same as ichi

WRXONP said:

if your after better boost controll then plumb it off directly under the turbo flange - either run it up above the turbo or have it hiding underneath the turbo - either way u can go to a screamer pipe or plumb it back into the downpipe on a angle

Exactly what Im after plus factory boost just not doing it for me.