• Raised $0.00

Dumb question

johnny5

Yes more flow

BUT

stock afm does not like a straight inlet to turbo

Causes issues and bends recommended for afm

If running no afm then straight is good

U saw how I have mine custom setup so has few bends to keep afm happy and is all stainless steel so good flow

stock afm tune only has air flow vs volts and temp compensation

when i was deciding on an intake i did some research on the matter and the general consus was that a bend or 2 between afm and turbo is best for afm readings not to get screwed by the spooling turbo

vorigan']

[quote name='johnny5 said:

Is there anything to gain power wise from twisting the standard turbo? I thought it was twisted to fit bigger turbos with massive inlets

/quote]

there is by allowing a better undisturbed intake and a re-tune to benefit more

i read this and thought "hmm what do you mean by 'gaining power'"?...

if you mean peak kw, then the gain might be 1-10kw imo, so not much at all.

if you're talking about boost threshold and low to mid power improvement then yes i believe this is more where you will see and NOTICE the gains.

:P just to clarify because im a stickler.

inside the maf there is a screen that corrects air flow ive never had anything but more constant running and over all tune from making the airflow as direct as possible with the exception of how close it is to the turbo intake but in saying that 300mm away hasn't even caused an issue, but maybe im just lucky

vorigan said:

inside the maf there is a screen that corrects air flow ive never had anything but more constant running and over all tune from making the airflow as direct as possible with the exception of how close it is to the turbo intake but in saying that 300mm away hasn't even caused an issue, but maybe im just lucky

the v7 (just like the op) have no screen

maybe the screen ones are fine..who knows

i just checked for the v7+ insert type ones

yea also same caution abt not having too close to the turbo for insert tupe meters..

hmm be good to do a lor of maf with and without bend and see if it really is any different at all...

i have logs of with bends so if anyone has a no bend intake i can log that and we can overlay the differences

edit: ur a lucky guy - not many ppl command the same amount of knowledge as u..very enviable position!

pappu']

[quote name='vorigan said:

/quote]

yea also same caution abt not having too close to the turbo for insert tupe meters..

hmm be good to do a lor of maf with and without bend and see if it really is any different at all...

i have logs of with bends so if anyone has a no bend intake i can log that and we can overlay the differences

edit: ur a lucky guy - not many ppl command the same amount of knowledge as u..very enviable position!

you own a v7 right papu.why dont u reflash without afm?

pappu']

/quote]

really to be honest ive never noticed it wasn't there cheers for that, what ive yet to see is anyone using 2x maf to reduce voltage as per GTR.

i dont know crap really just luckier than some :)

DUSWLO']

/quote]

you own a v7 right papu.why dont u reflash without afm?

thats something i have been considering for a bit

currently have it tuned with afm and maxing out injectors at 235ke

(possible to make a bit moe as running rather rich 10.8 --> if go at 11.5-7 can get bit more)

anyway, i find more ppl who i do stuff fo run afm so easier to refine tunes for afm atm

maybe once i cant refine anymore then move to mafless

that wuill also mean pushing engine way more than now... undecided yet

10.8 dam man do u like using gas lol

Both shred and soichi recommend that if there is surge occurring from AFM signal than just lengthen the intake so AFM is further from turbo

Some people run AFM straight onto the turbo on RBs with no problems

Soon as I hit few psi boost it gets 10.8

Under that on low loads I run it leaner so on normal driving it's bit better on gas than stock tune was

Maybe the screened hot-wire afm on rb don't get affected as much as the insert type ... Perhaps??

Anyway I reakon if u twisting turbo on a suby then best to go no afm and really turn up the burner heheh

here we go again comparing subaru to nissan

there to diffrent cars that run 2 diffrent afm.yes both orange sticker but there diffrent

fukn hell

To be honest most people pop the screens out anyway - u should really head up to 11.5 to 12 lol 10.8 is super rich

Did u try the AFM closer and have issues or is this just a theory ? I've ran a AFM with no screen right on the end of a silicone intake on my old suby - ran a AFM right off the turbo on my old rb - on the rb30 it was barely 3 inches off the turbo - had no issues

DUSWLO said:

there to diffrent cars that run 2 diffrent afm.yes both orange sticker but there diffrent

fukn hell

Orange sticker on a Nissan is actually a vg30dett AFM

Do some research buddy they're both hot wire AFM they all operate in the same fashion

DUSWLO said:

fukn hell

why do you troll?

comparing the different cause and effect on AFM was interesting i thought. The comments left are constructive and what works for a subbie, neither stating one was 'better' than the other specifically so im left going.. WTF to your comment. move on troll.

Brad - just ignore him in this instance. waste of your time.

both oranges are hotwire afm so same principle on both as far as operation.. not actually comparing nissan to suby bro just saying abt the afm only..i only have knowledge of the insert type so unsure how much that differes on sensitivity and interference vs hot wire

damm wrx on p u beat me to it lol :)

anyway , never tried afm cloe to turbo

if someone does it i wud be keen to log it and post results of far and close afm on similar load and see what readings look like

(just a rough graph shape comparison not exact numbers before ppl get anal abt different setups etc lol)

yea man once i get my 02 wideband more permenantly installed in downpipe will tune bit leaner to 11.5-11.7..maybe 11.9 max..wana stay off the 12 zone on pump gas for now...

afm to close to the turbo rages quits on you pappu, on a subbie it needs to be a reasonable distance away from it as Brad mentioned - i think you will find the bend only acts as artificially 'lengthing' the route the air travels, and moving the afm as far away as pos on a straight inlet has the same effect

i was simply saying there diffrent things.yes both orange sticker but in order to work it had to be sent away to collaborate with nisaan.

there for something will obviously be diffrent thats why you can run them close to them turbo.