Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

How to go lower. Legally.

Hi guys

I am relatively new to this forum, and am wondering of a way to get my 92 BC5 sitting a bit more flush in the guards, without having to use adjustable suspension (can't be bothered with the hassle of cert and suspension). I currently have king springs in it, but am wanting a bit more depth.

Can anyone help?

Thanks a bunch

Jared

please show respect the care when describing law enforcement - anything else isnt tolerated around here.

On the lowering question - and trying to do it lawfully i thinks a good approach, do to so you can put 'lowering springs' on your factory struts. Dont every cut your factory ones, and make sure the lowering springs remain captive and you will be 100% legal.

You can get 'lows' or 'superlows' depending on how 'flush' you want to get, have a look around for pictures of cars you like, im sure people will be able to tell you what brand and type spring they used.

edit:it sounds like you might have LOW king springs, and want superlows?

Often there are second hand springs for sale on here or TradeMe, else you can buy brand new ones

In regards to adjustables as well...people think because you have a cert you can go as low as you like but thats not the case.

On the cert plate you have a percentage of the height that is legal, usually 5%...this makes it + or - 20mm from the measurement stated on the plate in most cases, so the lowest you can really go is 80mm from ground. Most of the time theyll have a measurement on the plate...like a subaru might be 360mm and +/- 5% from that which means you can only raise or lower it 18mm from that measurement.

This can and will get you a green sticker on a police check.

Be aware.

STiNGR said:

Is the measurement for the "how low to the ground" point taken from the lowest point of the vehicles body inc bumpers or is it taken from the lowest chassis/suspension point??

I've had many cops measure in many different ways. One used his note book to measure how low my side skirts were to the ground. One measured from centre caps to highest point of the gaurd line. One measured lowest point of exhaust to ground.

It is taken from the lowest structural point, it doesn't include bumpers, sideskirts, exhaust pipes or any external modification.

More often than not, the rear diff is the most lowest structural point in the car.

It can be lower then 100mm if it's certed as such, but not otherwise.

OP: if I were you, I'd measure the height of the rear diff on level ground, and then you'll know how much lower you can legally go without requiring a cert. I think you'll be surprised how high it is. On my old BG legacy it was pretty much slammed on adjusties, and was only just under the 100mm limit.

Scoobydoo said:

It is taken from the lowest structural point, it doesn't include bumpers, sideskirts, exhaust pipes or any external modification.

More often than not, the rear diff is the most lowest structural point in the car.

It can be lower then 100mm if it's certed as such, but not otherwise.

OP: if I were you, I'd measure the height of the rear diff on level ground, and then you'll know how much lower you can legally go without requiring a cert. I think you'll be surprised how high it is. On my old BG legacy it was pretty much slammed on adjusties, and was only just under the 100mm limit.

Sweet thats what I thought.

Scoobydoo']

[quote name='ADIKT said:

One measured from centre caps to highest point of the gaurd line.

/quote]

This is the correct way to measure that the height as stated on a cert plate is still within the allowed tolerances.

Most accurate way.

That way youll get to know if its in line with the 5% of the cert plate or not.

Swindog said:

In regards to adjustables as well...people think because you have a cert you can go as low as you like but thats not the case.

On the cert plate you have a percentage of the height that is legal, usually 5%...this makes it + or - 20mm from the measurement stated on the plate in most cases, so the lowest you can really go is 80mm from ground. Most of the time theyll have a measurement on the plate...like a subaru might be 360mm and +/- 5% from that which means you can only raise or lower it 18mm from that measurement.

This can and will get you a green sticker on a police check.

Be aware.

well you can sort of go as low as you want. as long as it passes all of the handling and travel tests performed by the certifier. i'm certed at 78mm from the ground. my rear diff collects coke cans that are lying down, makes a nasty sound when being dragged along lol.

yeah i know how it works. it's the measured distance from the centre point of the wheel hub to the gaurd for both front and rear, with a +/- 5% tolerance. the measurement is however it was when you gave them the car, the certifier will not adjust the car. whether it's 5mm off of the ground, or 200mm if it meets the handling and travel requirements, it will pass and be listed on the cert plate with the gaurd measurement. but that was my point, you CAN somewhat go as low as you want.

If you dont have enough suspension travel you will fail a cert too, having a cert saves you alot of trouble if you are running really low, if you get pulled up and your car is legal but the cop thinks its too low you may get a green sticker, if you have a cert plate showing the height all he needs to do is have a quick measure.

FYI my GC8 has 315mm measurement in the rear which gives me circa 100mm from the ground to my rear diff, and I can still legally go 15mm lower. my front is 325mm so I can go 16mm lower in the front