Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Speed meter questions

WRXONP

Hey guys

A few questions about speed meters like the pivot speed meter or the apexi rsm and the likes

Do they all need the factory speed sensor as the input ?

Can u use a speed meter in place of the speedo for wof purposes ??

Reason being my new car has a newer 6 speed trans fitted into it and the factory 5 speed houses the speed sensor on the out put of the gearbox - and the 6 speed model runs the speed sensor off the diff - and the duffs are very hard to source

My pickings are that if one were to not use the vss it would need to use gps ?

Cheers

I have heard 2 things about gps speed sensors,one is not legal no way ever which is what the VIRM states as well BUT i have spoken to 2 people who say they are legal as it is still a vehicle speed indicator, i am chasing a stand alone unit at the moment as one of our buses has speedo issues and the manufactorer is not interested in helping by sourcing a wiring diagram for me :(.BUT also this is a bus and runs a Hubo so vehicle milage is recorded that way.

all I can say is try it and see,and good luck

Ok cheers guys

Yea I thought about the odo - but really why is it that important. ? Guess its who u get the wof from ay

Does anyone know if u can get a gps speedo other than a gps for maps ??

I might have to source a s15 diff - then I need a s15 dash cluster as apparently the diff vss has a different signal to a gearbox vss - then I need to do some custom wiring to make the cluster work lol

Oh well got lots of time to sort this issue out

Brad

you can get a standalone speed metre pretty much all it has is a readout that has a GPS aerial in it and a couple of wires out of it ( earth,+ and maybe a engine on ) this is what I am chasing, they about $100 or so will let you know once the guy gets back to me.

the other way you could do it is by running a pickup of the driveshaft thru a converter box then to your speedo

That's exactly what I was thinking on the way to work - would have to be hall effect wouldn't it ? Would need some sort of adjustable out put to calibrate it to the Gauge

But anyway thanks heaps and I would love to know about the gps speedo

evowrx said:

workshop lads have fitted these to ritchies buses http://www.bogaard.com.au/Products/DigitalSpeedos.aspx not sure which one but must be legal there rules are tight as and regular cofs.

site should tell you a bit.

i had a uniden gps radar detector that had speed on it too but got stolen.

that may be the EXACT unit that my supplier was talking about :)

looked up on ltsa - GPS is no good for a wof - the law states that the speedo needs to show forward moving speed at all times - GPS cannot gurantee this - as it wont work in tunnels etc -

looks like im either going to have to change diff and gauge cluster - or go back to a 5 speed