Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

LLV cert issues HELP NEEDED!!!

Hi there, took car for a WOF today to VTNZ in my new home town in Tauranga. Anyway, got failed as having wheels that are too big, don't match the cert plate. Cert plate says 18" but the rims that are on the car are 19". Now this is where is gets messy. The car came into NZ in January in 2007 which is when the cert was put on. The wheels that it came into NZ and got certed with, are the exact same rims that are currently on the car. So it's a clerical error on behalf of the person whoever did the original cert when in came into NZ. All I can think is that it could be typo, mis reading of hand writing or even mis reading of the tyre at the time of cert. Does anybody have any advice on what I can do to get around this as I currently have to go and get another cert at a cost of $350. I have a guy currently waiting to buy the car but wants to wait until it has a wof. On the other hand, does anyone have a set of 18's that I can borrow for half an hour. It's just so frustrating, the car has had 5 years worth of wofs, that's 10 wofs and this has never been picked up. The rims even have japanese stickers on the inside.

Yeah I had a simmilar issue but with suspension and a new front bumper which was below cert level apparently.. Just take the car back to another more *"local"* garage, and they can write off the vtnz wof from the system and start fresh, prob pass you regardless.

True, can you "write off" a WOF once it is already loaded in the system? I know it automatically falls off after 28 days, but time is a major and I have a guy who's willing to pay good money for the car but doesn't want it til the wof is all sorted, can't say I don't blame him, I'd want wof sorted too. So need a quick fix. Anyone know of a "more local" garage in Bsy of Plenty area who aren't concerned by little sh*t like that? Or has someone got some 18s I can borrow?

• General Member

(cert thread on another forum : not sure on specifics but is relevant to having steel rims of same size failing due to cert saying alloys : guys was told is an option)

full recert may be necessary due to time involved ie full price :/

• General Member
 "yoeddynz"']Rights. My viva passed it wof today but I was advised that my wheels do not match the cert plate. Car is certed for 13x6 alloys but I have fitted widened steels in that width. Luckily the tester was a gc's and has just told me to get it sorted. I either have to swap the wheels for alloys or get it re-certed with the steels.

My problem is that I don't have any form of receipt for where the steels were widened. I'm pretty sure they were done by elite in Chch but ages ago. They appear well made, spin true, hold air and it was noted when it came to balancing that they were even.

What can I do? Kendall who certed it said I could just get one wheel crack tested and that should provide sufficient enough proof of quality to the certifier.

And how much will I expect to pay to get my plate changed for different wheels.

is op

sorry read thread and cant see any reference to the value I quoted : but same issue

the wheel thing has only bcome an issue recently for some reason, i have done a couple of plate changes for different wheels lately

its cheaper than a full cert, but only if nothing else has changed.

if a car is returned to original, the plate gets removed and sent back to LVVTA, and they take it off landata (nzta computer system)

Yoeddy, does your plate say 13x6 ALLOY on it?

EDIT found it

[quote name='"yoeddynz" said:

Yeah 'alloy'. What's annoying is that I have seen many a cert plate with just the wheel size mentioned and nothing about being alloy or steel. But unfortunately mine states 13x6 alloys. Bugger.

I rang don hoff and yeah I have to get them crack tested. b]Then he'll change the plate for $110[/b].

So I went to a place that does crack testing among other things- a marine turbo place. They would have to bead blast the paint off and then test. All four wheels would cost around $ 400! And then the wheels may well fail the test...

I'm better off getting new widened steels then...

Or alloys.

Speaking of Research....

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_LVV_Cert_Threshold.pdf

Scroll down to Wheels And Tyres. If your wheels are of a 'reputable brand' whatever that may be, and would be 'considered appropriate by the wheel manufacturer' for the car... you don't need a cert.... this is what I mean by bullshit.....

How you going with cleaning the ten years of wood shavings out of your car Joker?

Sounds like they are making changes later this year to how they note down the wheel and tyre specs to sort this out. (As per the LVVTA forums, heaps of shit that they may be they still have the info)

So it's gone from a 17" rim with 215/45 tyre to a 19" with a 215/30 tyre. Jeez, no one has picked it up in the 5 years that the car has been on the road. Can I just go to another garage and get a WOF, or will is come up on the internet system that they use and being failed at VTNZ for whatever reasons? Does anyone know the particulars on how this works? I'm happy to go pay another $50 for another WOF, but it is pointless doing so if when they go into the web system and it comes up as having failed just a few days prior? The other thing that I failed on was being 9mm out on height with the adjusties, 9mm! I mean for f**ks sake. The last 2 things that I had to the correct the woman on, yes woman doing the WOF, was the headlights, she said dip beam didn't work, but they were brand new bulbs, Narvo blues from Repco, she just couldn't see them and hadn't put her glasses on, she admitted that, also the GTB has a courtesy lamp that comes on and light up the way to whichever side that you are indicating when you have your lights on. The dumb shit didn't have the lights on and failed it cos it didn't work so I had to point out that you have to have the lights on for it to illuminate. Anyway, rant over, back to my original question, can I just go into a different garage and pay for a new WOF or will they be able to know that I just failed for whatever reasons a few days ago?

Take it to Farmer Auto - Subaru. Talk to Henry at the counter. You wont have an issue as long as the cars clean inside and out. They look after guys who look after their cars.

The last wof from there cost me $35 and got free coffees. Good buggers too.

OR come and get my 18s and try it again at the same place.

Hey thanks very much for the good advice swindog. Much appreciated. Whats your mob number & your name? Mind if I name drop? The car is mint inside and out, except that I had a big oooops while at pitstop on hewletts road after getting a silencer put into exhaust, drop into a drain on the way out and the front kit had a good crunch, but it's not too bad though. Just a 10cm crack and a bit of paint chipped.

Swindog said:

Take it to Farmer Auto - Subaru. Talk to Henry at the counter. You wont have an issue as long as the cars clean inside and out. They look after guys who look after their cars.

The last wof from there cost me $35 and got free coffees. Good buggers too.

OR come and get my 18s and try it again at the same place.

Will Farmers auto be able to tell that I failed a wof at VTNZ like a few days ago?