Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Good turbo upgrade for pre-facelift 1996 GF8 with TD04?

I've got the standard TD04 with my GF8 and am looking at an upgrade and just wondering what people think would be a good upgrade. I've got a full 3" system and I want this to bolt straight onto my next turbo. I also have aftermarket stainless steel extractors.

I don't want it to be expensive <=$300 second hand

I've had some in mind but any thoughts are welcome. Looking for something that can boost 18 all the way to redline that spools early and produces lots of air.

Also, will I need to upgrade the injectors and map sensor or anything else?

hate-evoz said:

TD05H from V2 STi! will be straight bolt on, or get a VF series turbo, Def a VF22 but will need a 95 degree silicone hose to fit etc Both very good upgrades!

Upgrade, ECU, Get V3/4 STI one, Yellow 440cc injectors, Orange labeled AFM aswell.

you're assuming the guys car is a v2 if putting on a td05??? 96 can be either v2 or v3 yer? Then if it is v2, the v3/4ecu wont plug in, but if its v3 the 90degree inlet isnt required....

sooo....sense make you dont.

I've had my ECU chipped anyway and I'm still working on tuning with the guy who sold it to me. It's boosting 17PSI now with the TD04.

I was thinking TD05H or I found a cheap VF23 on trademe. Will the VF23 bolt straight in?

What is the safe boost limit for a non sti block assuming I upgrade the AFM, sensor and injectors?

VF22/23/24/28/29/30/34 will all bolt straight on as will TD05 subaru fitments. Im guessing you have a straight inlet TD04...Any of the VF BB series will require the oil feed banjo bolts as they restrict flow.

How long it will last very much depends on your tune...throwing a chip in doesnt work so well as opposed to tuning your setup...

Im running a vf23 on V5 wrx stock engine with boltons untuned 10psi and 15psi high. Seems to go fine definitely be better when tuned. Good gains over TD04 but tuning will maximise gains.

WRXONP said:

Per face lift normally means Ver 1-2

Generally in the parts world V5/6 is referred to as facelift. Its when the clear lights/grille/bumper changed. The only difference in V1/2 to V3/4 is the bonnet isnt it?

On the turbo i was just going by the fact he said he looked at VF23.

hate-evoz said:

Heres one 16g. Which will be fine: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/engines/auction-481916410.htm

Or TD05 20g which will require are new intake hose ONLY IF YOURS IS V2 if V3 will bolt straight on.: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/engines/auction-480138449.htm

IF yours is a V3 (which I highly doubt it to be) you wont need 90degree hose.

Im picking the top one is straight inlet...most people refer to big 16g with chinese aftermarket, mse or evo turbos.

a lot of speculation here...

He has the v2.

1996 came in both version 2 and 3 with 3 obviously being the "facelift".

Hence 1996 v2 GF8.

TD05 from the STI or JDM wrx will be your easiest and best upgrade imo.

Mine pulled hard on my JDM WRX

hate-evoz said:

google it or search on here. Not that hard to find.

This is what I found so far:

TD04

390CFM at 14.7PSI

VF-22

490CFM at 18.0PSI

Small 16G

505CFM at 14.7PSI

Large 16G

550CFM at 14.7PSI

20G

650CFM at 14.7PSI

I'm confused about the 20g though. There seems to be a TD05 20G and TD06 20G. Are they the same or different?

Also how do I tell the difference between a small 16G and a large 16G?

ODB said:

The list you have up there says peak efficiency is at 14,7 pounds thus you are well..... Just blowing hot air at anything more than just 1 bar

I did some more looking and found this:

td05h-16gsmall-cfm.gif

Looks like its about 525CFM at around 16-18psi

Even if I'm just "blowing hot air in" would I still not have more air in the engine to mix with the fuel at a higher pressure?

hate-evoz said:

Large 16G is has straight inlet on compressor housing

Small 16G has bent inlet

Small 16g is a relatively common term to throw around...aftermarket chinese turbos can be bought small or big too.

Id like to know how wrx TD05s compare to evo 1-3 TD05s internally. They run the same rebuild kit i believe...not sure on wheels.

insanity007']

[quote name='ODB said:

The list you have up there says peak efficiency is at 14,7 pounds thus you are well..... Just blowing hot air at anything more than just 1 bar

/quote]

Looks like its about 525CFM at around 16-18psi

Even if I'm just "blowing hot air in" would I still not have more air in the engine to mix with the fuel at a higher pressure?

Hot air = bad. Higher chance or det, so ecu pulls timing back to compensate/stop det. Next thing you know, you're making less power while cramming more boost into an engine that probably won't like it.

There's not much point fussing over turbos with a crappy ecu and injectors. I wouldn't even bother changing it. You need to get a possumlink and yellows to get a worthwhile SAFE upgrade. Your top mount is a real piece too, not to mention that horrid intake setup, and fuel pump. If you don't want to spend at least a couple of grand on turbo computer fuel bits and intercooler, you'll be wasting your time, money, and risking your motor. The v1/2 setup is rubbish compared to later models. I know all too well, I've been battling getting power out of mine for 6 years.

I swapped out my TD04 in my v2 WRX for a TD05, and at the same time switched the standard ecu for a v2 sti RA version. I also have a 3inch downpipe and an upgraded intake so right after I did this it was running well apart from occasional boost spike issues. I installed a boost tee and set the boost to about 1bar, it goes really well and and has been running without any problems for over 10,000 ks now, I would definitely recommend this combination of mods on a v2.