Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

BOV and wastegate placement?

Is there a better place to have these?

Just asking as im about to remake my intercooler piping and plum in my wastegate (for legal reasons). The bov is about 300mm before TB at the moment and the wastegate is down on the right hand collector. Will be running BOV to atmo with standalone ecu. Internal is not an option regardless.

Is bov best on hotside closer to turbo or cold side closer to TB?

Where is the best place for external wastegate? On up pipe as close to turbo as possible on both sides of gate?

run the bov close to your throttle body, 300mm sounds reasonable - sometimes fitting it somewhere is the problem.

The wastegate - down on the factory collector is ok, or anywhere on the uppipe - just depends again where you can fit it.

Mine personally comes up off the top of the uppipe between the turbo and the gearbox, some stay down the bottom under the turbo off the bottom of the uppipe or lower again off the collector.

my wastegate is blue you can see it. my bov is black off the drivers side of the throttle body.

2012-03-21%252021.27.44.jpg

2012-03-21%252021.27.52.jpg

funkytown said:

run the bov close to your throttle body, 300mm sounds reasonable - sometimes fitting it somewhere is the problem.

The wastegate - down on the factory collector is ok, or anywhere on the uppipe - just depends again where you can fit it.

Mine personally comes up off the top of the uppipe between the turbo and the gearbox, some stay down the bottom under the turbo off the bottom of the uppipe or lower again off the collector.

your car is set up exactly how they should be IMO thats why i was asking about power steering. My BOVs hard against the fan at the moment as it got welded on the wrong angle not how i said i wanted it. Ive got spare tube just got to get the TB off to weld it on and ill weld in the IAT boss while im at it to keep it tidy.

Wastegate placement like yours is the most common just gonna be tight with where my twisted pipes sit.

Ive got all of your pics sitting in my subaru folder.

would be useful for someone to post the view of the Wastegate down underneath for comparison. no way is wrong - its just the way i had mine made.

for reference thats my IAT sensor on the ic pipe along the radiator there. Oh and that clear container at the back of the firewall with black lid is where my p/s res sits.. the water top tank is beside it on the passenger side.

funkytown said:

would be useful for someone to post the view of the Wastegate down underneath for comparison. no way is wrong - its just the way i had mine made.

my car will be on a hoist on thursday, ill try and snap a good pic of the wastegate sitting underneath!!

Here's mine with the wastegate mounted below the turbo:

DSC09047.jpg

And to give you an idea of exactly where it is, you can just see part of the wastegate in this pic (to the left, under the brake master cylinder):

DSC09052.jpg

I originally had the wastegate mounted where Jon's is, however, I made a new up-pipe/wastegate adapter without having the turbo with me (I based it on my old design) and once I got the turbo back, it didnt quite sit how I planned and the wastgate pipe ended up fouling on the gearbox. Changed it to this set-up now, was a case of putting it where it could fit. It works fine, but I prefer the original (Jon's) way better as its much easier to access the wastegate itself if you need to...

This is my orignal setup with the wastegate underneath.

DSCF4484.jpg

When I swapped to twin-scroll, I kept it in pretty much the same place but this time made sure I could get to all the fasteners from underneath the car by mounting it on slightly longer pipes (so its now slightly lower). I couldn't see how else I could mount it anywhere else as the Holset gets in the way of most options......

DSC00796.jpg

ive got your top pic. I have a s*** load of pics just wasnt sure if any one was better than the other. Ill post up a string of pics and if its your set up and you dont want it splashed up let me know and ill pull it down.

All wastegate not BOV placement.

cimg0727i.jpg

dsc00172hy.jpg

dsc00183jq.jpg

dsc00184wr.jpg

DSCF4493.jpg

P1010075.jpg

P1010089.jpg

P1010090.jpg

P1010091.jpg

P1010092.jpg

P1010093.jpg

P1010094.jpg

P1010148.jpg

turboadapter-1.jpg

twisted1.jpg

131240346_full.jpg

131240359_full.jpg

193050088_full.jpg

193050147_full.jpg

203593502_full.jpg

392530181.jpg

44569_10150249359415587_702425586_142318

008-20.jpg

DSC00120800x600.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i got my bov on the hot side of the intercooler, thus obviously dumping hot air , as aposed to dumping cooled air and having hot air rushing into the intercooler heating it up minutely when it opens. i know the difference in temperature is bugger all but thats my theory.