Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Rebuild Options... - Opinions

scooby-wrx

Hey guys,

My engine's almost hit the 200 000 km mark so I'm thinking about having a bit of a freshen up. The motor's still running very well, just suspect a slightly leaky head gasket so I though we may as well remove the motor and replace the bearings, rings, valves, valve springs, timing belt etc etc... all at the same time. Is it worth replacing the Pistons and rods or would cleaning them and re-using them be fine...?

I'm not going to be running high boost so don't think its worth forging. I was in the market for a new shortblock or a used longblock (V7 / V8) but haven't had much luck finding a low km good condition block.

I'm not concerned about the cost of new pistons / rods, but wanted to hear peoples opinions / experiences before I make my decision.

Thanks.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

funkytown said:

I can tell you as someone who just blew up their motor it adds up REAL fast.

+1.. prices definitely add up real fast. even all the minor little things makes the bill go up ridiculosly fast!

Id assume that the pistons(new rings) and rods (with new bearings) should be re-useable if you have ran a bearing or melted a piston

Ninja 8)']

[quote name='funkytown said:

I can tell you as someone who just blew up their motor it adds up REAL fast.

/quote]

+1.. prices definitely add up real fast. even all the minor little things makes the bill go up ridiculosly fast!

Id assume that the pistons(new rings) and rods (with new bearings) should be re-useable if you have ran a bearing or melted a piston

+2

just been through this with rallycar, everything you touch costs money, but its question of while your there trying to make sure you dont end up rebuilding it again

TBH if its just for a road car you wont beat something like these; standard rebuild, all done, no time delays(my motor took 8 months doing it myself, thorpy is few months in etc etc)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/engines/auction-498261551.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/engines/auction-498788408.htm

its the while your there what you put in that adds up.... new cambelt n water pump, new gasket set etc etc etc

Thanks for the responses.

I'm still trying to find a complete V7 - V8 longblock (with low mileage) if I can't find one by the end of next week I'll most likely forge my current motor as there's not much cost difference (compared to a new shortblock) The only benefit of the new shortblock would be it comes with a new crank too - although that blue printed Possum Borne rebuilt block is looking like a good option too... M...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/subaru/engines/auction-498788408.htm

I'll go +3

8 months on and the car still has 2-3 months of work left, has been done only on weekends by me and my sponsor though. I tried to budget for it but there are things you will need that you just didnt realise you needed that add up.

I know of a v8 long block that may be for sale, I can find out for you how much but i think he is looking around the 4k mark, i believe it was around 50000 (need to confirm though maybe more probably is) when taken out.

ballsrburning said:

I'll go +3

8 months on and the car still has 2-3 months of work left, has been done only on weekends by me and my sponsor though. I tried to budget for it but there are things you will need that you just didnt realise you needed that add up.

I know of a v8 long block that may be for sale, I can find out for you how much but i think he is looking around the 4k mark, i believe it was around 50000 (need to confirm though maybe more probably is) when taken out.

8 months... Woah! I'm hoping to get the whole swap / rebuild done in a week and my mechanics agreed - although he said the same thing about rebuilding my gearbox which took almost 6 months to get right! :D Thank goodness for courtesy cars! ;D

I'd be interested in a bit more info about the V8 longblock thanks - ideally I'm looking for a complete unit (including wiring loom, ecu, turbo, all sensors etc etc...) so that its an easy swap. 50 000km's is nice and low, so would be perfect!

scooby-wrx said:

8 months... Woah! I'm hoping to get the whole swap / rebuild done in a week and my mechanics agreed - although he said the same thing about rebuilding my gearbox which took almost 6 months to get right! :D Thank goodness for courtesy cars! ;D

I'd be interested in a bit more info about the V8 longblock thanks - ideally I'm looking for a complete unit (including wiring loom, ecu, turbo, all sensors etc etc...) so that its an easy swap. 50 000km's is nice and low, so would be perfect!

I am seeing him tommorow after work, will discuss with him then. I think its only the long block, no ecu, turbo, sensors or loom. I will let you know what he says.

I thought the mechanic was being a bit optimistic, now I know he was! :D

I've just had a response from the Subaru dealer regarding a new shortblock - $2500 (+ GST) complete with oil pump and cooler. I though I'd ask about the head gasket configuration to achieve the correct compression ratio as I'd be using my V3 heads on a V7/V8 block (if I went with this option).

Here's his response:

I would recommend 1mm Head gaskets for this conversion and have the heads and block CC’ed to determine the correct compression ratio is achieved.

Has the car been tuned? Or has it blown its engine? As these engines are not fragile from the factory so would recommend a standard rebuild if it is only being used on the road in standard tune and 98 octane fuel is used.

ballsrburning Thanks, will still be interested (considering the mileage). Appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting on my mechanic to do a cylinder leakage test (been 2 weeks now...!)

I've managed to source a complete V7 STI engine including all parts (turbo, ECU, Intercooler, BOV, Manifold etc etc...) done 77 000km's for $4500 which is not too bad, considering I'll have a complete motor + parts to sell.

I'd rather rebuild my current engine, but after having to wait 2 weeks for just a cylinder leakage test I hate to know how long a rebuild will take! :o and the fact that I had my gearbox rebuilt by this mechanic and have had endless problems puts me off completely!

Sorry forgot about this, seen mechanic and he does have a longblock but its just the block nothing else , no turbo or loom etc. He wants to tear it down too before he sells to check everything is fine , so probably will be a while until its available.

Been rather busy lately...

funkytown - At this rate you'll most likely be done before me! :D

Mechanic finally did a cylinder leakage test (cold) which showed no issues at all so we're planning on doing a warm test and who knows how long that will take! The V7 motor I found comes with a VF30, but I want a twin scroll VF36 or 37. Does anyone know of one for sale...? I'll also need the exhaust setup too which I think is extractors, down pipe and up-pipe (not sure if I require all...)? Oh and the sump which I can get from the company supplying the motor.

• 2 weeks later...

i would put it on hold, worst case scenario you may have to pay a couple of months rego if you get it back on the road within the 3 months.

I didn't take mine off the road as i thought it would be done in 3 months but kept adding shit to do and i now owe 146 dollars ish in rego.