Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

help!! change oil on gc8 with oil temp sensor!!!

whatchain

im currently trying to change the engine oil in my car, just remembered i have a oil temp gague. i cant fit a socket over the sump plug because theres a wire running to the plug itself for the sensor, can sum1 tell me how do i disconnect the wire or remove the sump plug with it attatched? i just tried using take the plug out with one of those adjustable wrench and things didn go well lol. but srs

20121107228.jpg

sorry i meant spanner not wrench.. it dont unplug, appereantly u have to take out the plug before u can disconnect the sensor from inside. i just did a search on google, someone said i need a size 24 spanner to get that off but i dont have one that size lol. fml

go buy a 24mm normal ring spanner, then take it home and grind a gap in the ring end so it goes over the wire without unplugging it. dont make a large slit, just big enough to get over the wire, and it still has really good purchase on the bung nut and wont round off :)

They you still have a good end of the 24 to use as a spanner as well as the split ring. The split ring spanners a DIRTY expensive to buy made split! home made FTW...

* i did this for a 13/16\'s or something to use on my AN oil fittings in s***ty places ;D

like this - just not as wide obviously.

STW2410X12.jpg

so after like 30 mins of fukin around in supercheap. it turns out i need a size 27 spanner for the plug. but now i have another problem, the plug seelf like its welded the the sump. it wouldn\'t come out. the edges of the plug now is a bit munted from me trying to get it off. if i go any harder i rekon i will probably just strip the sides off... effing bitch of a thing to get off..... i have now given up trying to do it. maybe have to take it in to get done.. after i spend all that money on oil, filter and spanner

funkytown said:

go buy a 24mm normal ring spanner, then take it home and grind a gap in the ring end so it goes over the wire without unplugging it. dont make a large slit, just big enough to get over the wire, and it still has really good purchase on the bung nut and wont round off :)

They you still have a good end of the 24 to use as a spanner as well as the split ring. The split ring spanners a DIRTY expensive to buy made split! home made FTW...

* i did this for a 13/16\'s or something to use on my AN oil fittings in s***ty places ;D

might give this a go later when i feel like changing the oil again. lol

read above.. + you can hammer over a split ring spanner and it should still work - just make sure the spanner is flush over the nut head.

a 3 sider spanner is s*** house for that job and do slip off badly.

you\'re wellies based i see. bring car into town this weekend and give me a look - bring a 27 ring spanner with you (i dont have one).

il get it off.

funkytown said:

read above.. + you can hammer over a split ring spanner and it should still work - just make sure the spanner is flush over the nut head.

a 3 sider spanner is s*** house for that job and do slip off badly.

you\'re wellies based i see. bring car into town this weekend and give me a look - bring a 27 ring spanner with you (i dont have one).

il get it off.

hey thanks for offer, im currently down at chch tho. wont be back up in welly/paraparaumu til probably like 9th or 10th december.

It wont be welded on if its the sump plug.

Itll just be tight, probably because if its aftermarket its been leaking.

OR they have glue or sealant around it.

Get your split spanner thing you made and smack it with the hammer. Or get a big adjustable wrench and smack that. Itll move.

Swindog said:

It wont be welded on if its the sump plug.

Itll just be tight, probably because if its aftermarket its been leaking.

OR they have glue or sealant around it.

Get your split spanner thing you made and smack it with the hammer. Or get a big adjustable wrench and smack that. Itll move.

im just saying the thing feels so tight like as if it\'s welded. hey funky, i will be driving back up from chch to paraparaumu anyway, maybe i can stop by then and get you to help me with this?

sure thing mate - bring the car - and the right sized ring spanner. 10mins il have it sussed. Then you can wander home and do your oil as intended and it wont be nearly as tight :) just let me know closer to the time.

Note: a good NEW crush washer in there means it doesn\'t need to be done up nearly 1/2 as tight

it\'s doesn\'t have to be that day. could do it day before or after if that suits.. unless u working. anyway, i will be keep trying to get the thing off, maybe some wd40 on the plug or something.... but if i still cant get it off then i will get u to help