Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

V7 STI stuttering at high boost, no fuel pressure in lines when off.

josephstef

Ive just got v7 which has been completely rebuilt, It was running fine for a month or so and has now started stuttering out of the blue, usually when boosting over 10 psi. It also likes stalling after driving it hard and being stopped at the lights.

First off I replaced the fuel pressure regulator to a high end aeromotive as the previouss one was reading 43psi even with -20 psi boost through it.

The new reg now reads around 37 psi when at idle which seems more promising. It now seems to stutter a lot less and idle a bit smoother (previously it was hunting all over the show until it stalled).

This hasnt fixed the problem, so now ive put new spark plugs in it, still the same.

What ive noticed is that when setting the pressure on the regulator it only holds pressure for a second. I literally had to get some one to sit in the car to keep priming the fuel pumps so i could set the pressure before it would fall to 0 psi.

So is this a problem? As when i turn off the car Im mmedialtely reading 0 psi fuel pressure on the regulator, is it because im running a surge tank?

idle pressure is 43.5 i was meaning when -20psi boost idle.

Its actually a subaru b4, just seemed easier to describe it as a v7.. haha

Im in Wellnigton.

2.5L forged cp pisonts, datrton sleaves, eagles rods.

v7 sti avcs heads with some work done to them

bosch 044 fuel pump with surge tank

walbro 255 in tank pump

id1000 injectors

Holset hx40 turbo

NGK 7 heat spark plugs.

Aeromotive regulator 1:1 ratio

funkytown said:

take it back to the tuner for investigation. you have a totally custom machine and its obviously not right.

whether its the tune or something mechanical thats the place you need to start.

you risk killing that built motor if its leaning on boost or worse.

I did it with richard and jason in christchurch, they seem to know you. Jasons comming up in decemeber so will have a chat to him when he comes to welly.

yer i do know them, and them me.

if its a wellington based car, talk to either shred or STM for a power run.$150 from memory. i put my money on them working it out real quick.

$150 is a massive saving over a ruined performance motor.

waiting and continuing to run it while its not right just risks damage.

ymmv

josephstef said:

What ive noticed is that when setting the pressure on the regulator it only holds pressure for a second. I literally had to get some one to sit in the car to keep priming the fuel pumps so i could set the pressure before it would fall to 0 psi.

So is this a problem? As when i turn off the car Im mmedialtely reading 0 psi fuel pressure on the regulator, is it because im running a surge tank?

This just sounds like you don\'t have a check valve in the system. From memory the 044\'s don\'t have a built in check valve like the Walbro\'s and factory pumps. I don\'t think thats a major issue?

Koom']

[quote name='josephstef said:

/quote]

This just sounds like you don\'t have a check valve in the system. From memory the 044\'s don\'t have a built in check valve like the Walbro\'s and factory pumps. I don\'t think thats a major issue?

Yep! Bang a check valve on the end of the 044 pump

• 2 months later...
 josephstef said:

idle pressure is 43.5 i was meaning when -20psi boost idle.

Its actually a subaru b4, just seemed easier to describe it as a v7.. haha

Im in Wellnigton.

2.5L forged cp pisonts, datrton sleaves, eagles rods.

v7 sti avcs heads with some work done to them

bosch 044 fuel pump with surge tank

walbro 255 in tank pump

id1000 injectors

Holset hx40 turbo

NGK 7 heat spark plugs.

Aeromotive regulator 1:1 ratio

What ended up happening with this? Any update on this monster?