Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

gf6 impreza hesitating to rev plus cat converter glowing

wrs_guy

i recently did a manual conversion and changed from an ej18 to an ej20e after a few problems i got it started yay..... that didnt last long as i took it up the rd for a test and it had the cat hot light on the dash also was hesitating put foot down and it had no power at all i turned back for home when i got there i found there was smoke pissing into the car. when i poped the bonnet i noticed the cat coverter was glowing bright orange.

i thought it was just the ej20e not liking the ej18 loom and ecu.... so pulld it out and changed the crank and cam seals on the ej18 and threw it bace together so now it is running an EJ18 the factory motor for the car. i just took it for a drive and its doing the same plus when i take the handbreak off now the car idles rough.

i drove it to my parents when it was auto and the motor was fine could anybody tell me whats causing my problems as ive tryed both motors and pulled the plenum on and off to make sure i haddent left wires off

cheers ethan

i tryed to run the ej20, since then i have put the ej18 in and its still doing the same thing with the original motor in it

And i just took the exhurst off just behind the cat and it seems to still be lagging like hell so not blocked behind the cat i guess..?

is there some think i didnt do when i did the manual conversion the only thing i haven\'t done is hooking up the reverse lights.. but could that do anything? I know i need a another tps as it threw the check engine 31 code (ill go up to pick a part 2mwro for that) any think else anyone thinks i should try replace while im up there??

i found the problem but dont know how to fix it, the cat is getting "red hot" as cyl 1 and 2 are getting no spark at all which would mean half the fuel getting pumped in is going straight out the exhurst (i just pulled the leads off and the car ran the same) what would cause this?? ive tryed 2 different types of coils both with the same result only gettin spark in coil cyl 3 and 4

Ok, start from the start

What exactly has been changed, what sensors are you using from the EJ20 or the EJ18

If you kept everything (and that\'s EVERYTHING) from the EJ18 and just used the 2L block, it should have been ok, or at least able to run relatively happily. Not quite right but passable for sure. The ECU will compensate (to a degree....) for the larger displacement as it\'ll be seeing higher load through the AFM. It\'s still not ideal but will at least run.

Do those two plugs share a coil? (I have no idea if those are Coil On Plug or not sorry)

It may be as simple as a broken wire? Are you 100% sure the coils themselves aren\'t working, and it\'s not just fouled plugs not firing from all the cranking it had at the start?

• Admin

Just to be clear here, you put together an EJ20 with EJ18 heads/everything else, it didn\'t run very well so after minimal troubleshooting (I\'d saying running on 2 cylinders would have been pretty apparent) you ripped the motor apart and made it a EJ18 again, which still has the same problem?

I\'m going to seriously suggest you slow things down a bit and maybe enlist some help from some people with a bit of experience first.

i have REMOVED the ej20 motor as i thought that was my problem.. the car is running the factory ej18 now all i have changed now is the the g-box from auto to manual, and its running the top mounted coil which ive now tryed 3 different coils all with the same result.

boon i tryed using a complete ej20e long-block using the ej18 intake plenum and loom and crankshaft cambelt sprocket, they both run the same it didnt run too lumpey untill i took off the hand break then it ran like it was only on 2 cyl. I havent hooked up the reverse lights or neutral switch would that make a difference are there any sensor in the g-box that might affect the running of the ecu???

wrs_guy said:

i have REMOVED the ej20 motor as i thought that was my problem.. the car is running the factory ej18 now all i have changed now is the the g-box from auto to manual, and its running the top mounted coil which ive now tryed 3 different coils all with the same result.

possible ignitor failure assuming common coil not individual plug coils ;) ;) REPEATED !! :o :o :o:P :P

if the tcu is separate would it be the little box under the drivers side dash that looks like a mini ecu? if so its separate, yeah i just got hold of my mate who has done the conversion a few times he hads a feeling ive got the wireing wrong so he is going to come take a look and well go from there..

thanks every one for all the help its much apprieciated :) !!

titian']

[quote name='wrs_guy said:

/quote]

possible ignitor failure assuming common coil not individual plug coils ;) ;) REPEATED !! :o :o :o:P :P

how do i test the ignitor? i will do that tomoro???

Marky said:

Ok, start from the start

What exactly has been changed, what sensors are you using from the EJ20 or the EJ18

If you kept everything (and that\'s EVERYTHING) from the EJ18 and just used the 2L block, it should have been ok, or at least able to run relatively happily. Not quite right but passable for sure. The ECU will compensate (to a degree....) for the larger displacement as it\'ll be seeing higher load through the AFM. It\'s still not ideal but will at least run.

Do those two plugs share a coil? (I have no idea if those are Coil On Plug or not sorry)

It may be as simple as a broken wire? Are you 100% sure the coils themselves aren\'t working, and it\'s not just fouled plugs not firing from all the cranking it had at the start?

yeah they share a coli ive checked the wires and had checked the leads with a meter and plugs are near new done round 3000km ago and have just been brushed on sunday.

wrs_guy']

/quote]

replace it with a known good one...only way i know. tis the square ali block behind the waste gate control solenoid on drvers side just in front of the suspension strut.

titian']

/quote]

replace it with a known good one...only way i know. tis the square ali block behind the waste gate control solenoid on drvers side just in front of the suspension strut.

oh nah it has a different setup to a wrx 484523_10151142464005325_1448661748_n.jp this is a pic of it when i got it