Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

What exhaust to go for??

Hi I'm Wicksy and I'm new to Club sub,

I've got a 96 sti with Tein coilovers, semi slicks and a Tommy Kairara kit. It's got to be the best handling car i've ever driven!!! I'm pretty impressed for a Toyota boy normally! Tho still getting used to the 4wd thing rather than rwd!

The motor's stock apart from a pod and blow off valve and i want to do the exhaust. I don't want it too loud tho!

What would you recommend and what are the Stainless steel no brand systems off trade me like?

Also keen for a track day too!!

Straight pipe on a boxer FTW ;D +3 for screamer pipe! FTW!!11!!!

If that doesn't float ya boat, I suggest a 2.5" or 3" Full Turboback exhaust, Like the Apexi N1 exhaust. Stainless steel, and highflow cat.....With a silencer, if you don't like loud.

http://fortyone.co.nz/parts/type/Exhaust.html Check that page out, and do some youtube searches of exhausts so you know what you'r getting your'self into.

Yeah I agree with Ray. 3 inch is too big for most cars. You will loose your down low power and torque. You need a massive turbo to flow lots of air to notice the benefits of a 3 inch system, and even then its more a top end power gain.

Good performance exhaust builders will back this up. :)

• 1 month later...

Cheers guys! Being an STI it's already got very much more top end power rather than midrange so a 2.5" prob will be the go, tho it'd be hard to convince myself not to get a 3"!!

Has anyone bought a unknown name system off trade me? If so how'd it work out?

dont get a 3" through the middle..

I have a 3" down pipe and it was 3" to the rear axle.. now its 2"5, it was just waaay to loud and made no noticable difference when i down sized.

The tip (or canon) has as much to do with how loud it is as anything.. go along to a club meet and have a listen to what people have and make up your own mind.

funkytown said:

I have a 3" down pipe and it was 3" to the rear axle.. now its 2"5, it was just waaay to loud and made no noticable difference when i down sized.

The tip (or canon) has as much to do with how loud it is as anything.. go along to a club meet and have a listen to what people have and make up your own mind.

people kept coming up to me at the track day going man you exhaust tip is huge i think its 5"

i have the same as you funky 2.5" ftw but i'd like to get a mandrel bent exhaust one day.

Just have to find that money tree my olds used to always go on about?

i have a 3 inch hks dump and 2.5 inch mid section with version 8 resonator welded in place and a 3 inch rear section with a fujitsubo muffler..

the thing flows extremely well - same as my old full 3 inch setup but the biggest difference is that its super quiet - seriously quiet almost like factory version 7 sti levels

pretty much drive in a quiet neighborhood at 2am in morning and no one notices you have come home - that quiet....

cannot recomend the fujitsubo setup highly enough!!!

best flow for minimum sound ever!!!

the 3 inch dump with 2.5 inch mid section should provise ample flow for most street level power (up to 230-250 kw at wheels i reakon) with minimal restriction and yet not lose any low end torque

with a full 3 inch, i noticed a distict lack of torque at lower revs but with this new setup i get the factory type feel in the low rpm but distinct freed up top end...

Fujitsubo make some awesome exhausts... if you can find a good condition second hand one... alot of people dont like them coz they dont make enough sound....

I run a 3" Stainless front pipe through a 3" HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust system on my Version 7 STI RA - This setup satisfies the local On Road testing station which is good enough for me... and still sounds great when you drive it hard...

On my old Version 2 STI RA I ran a 2.5" Trust front pipe through a 3" stainless HKS Hiper system - that sucker was loud...

On a RS that I had once I used a 2.5 mild steel RAGE system from turbo back. Really quiet.... to quiet for me...

as loud as maybe my 3" stainless front pipe on a Top Fuel 3" mild steel system I used to run on my Version 7 prior to the current set up.

end of the day depend if you want to be able to say to yourself that you have a 3" system or not lol.

I wouldnt go smaller personally than my 3" system, and in my case its not my exhaust that limits my car its the tune on my ecu (at this stage)

QRAF']

[quote name='funkytown said:

The tip (or canon) has as much to do with how loud it is as anything.. b]go along to a club meet and have a listen to what people have and make up your own mind.[/b]

people kept coming up to me at the track day going man you exhaust tip is huge i think its 5"

i have the same as you funky 2.5" ftw but i'd like to get a mandrel bent exhaust one day.

Just have to find that money tree my olds used to always go on about?

I have a 2.5" Mandrel + STI Genome resonator, Excelenta'e!! Quiet while leaving home in the early mornings, (unless I put tha Pedal to tah Metal) and it roars. Awesomeness...

I would deffinately go for a 3inch down pipe, then either a 2.5 or 3inch mandrel system for the rest. I don't think it will make a huge difference power or noise wise. If you don't want it too loud get a good qualtiy hi-flow muffler for the rear (not just a stainless cannon).

dceivd said:

Fujitsubo make some awesome exhausts... if you can find a good condition second hand one... alot of people dont like them coz they dont make enough sound....

I run a 3" Stainless front pipe through a 3" HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust system on my Version 7 STI RA - This setup satisfies the local On Road testing station which is good enough for me... and still sounds great when you drive it hard...

On my old Version 2 STI RA I ran a 2.5" Trust front pipe through a 3" stainless HKS Hiper system - that sucker was loud...

On a RS that I had once I used a 2.5 mild steel RAGE system from turbo back. Really quiet.... to quiet for me...

as loud as maybe my 3" stainless front pipe on a Top Fuel 3" mild steel system I used to run on my Version 7 prior to the current set up.

end of the day depend if you want to be able to say to yourself that you have a 3" system or not lol.

I wouldnt go smaller personally than my 3" system, and in my case its not my exhaust that limits my car its the tune on my ecu (at this stage)

But I know you can use your 3 inches well...... ;)