Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Air intake

hey guys i used the search function but could not find a defined answer on what aftermarket air filter to use on a leggy 99-00 gtb to get the nice sound..? some people say there is nothing you can do and others say just put a pod on. Cheers

put a genuine panel filter in your original air box

remove the outer snorkel(snorkelectomy/marley intake)

and u should have some noise

A pod can be fitted BUT it has to be secured,in a cold airbox and non oiled

stick with the factory box and save yourself the hassles, if you get a pod then put it in a good cold air box you wont be able to hear it much anyway,

snorkelectomy will have just as good noise & just as good performance and be better for your AFM

Snorkelectomy didn't seem to make any difference performance wise on mine when I did it. It did make it slightly louder though.

A snorkelectomy involves removing the intake resonator inside the right front guard.

I used one of these,

http://www.rallitek.com/hiinel.html

Yeah the performance increase was one of those maybe I can feel it ones, but it must of helped.

It does increase the sound so its probably what your after.

Using Marley pipes is a cheaper option but I spend a bit of time on gravel and going through some water so wanted to keep the intake up high in the stock position.

Hey guys, I put a Simota Mushroom filter in my Subaru B4 and it works great!, the engine response is better and yes you do start hearing a nice suction noise and also you can hear the factory BOV, if i was able to afford an HKS mushroom Filter i would have.

but the top filters I recommend for you are either APEXI PODS, K&N PODS or HKS

If your on a budget, go for SIMOTA.... and SIMOTA has a few interesting series of induction systems including carbon fibre airboxes then secure your filter, they have normal urethane pod filters, Heatshield pressurised pod filters and mushroom filters.

and installment isn't too hard, just remove the factory filter paper, remove the airbox, the pipes and the 2 O rings

drill a hole to refit the air flow sensor then secure the pod filter and your done!

+1 for marleyectomy & Factory airbox/Panelfilter

helped with spool up on mine. Its easy as - take out factory snorkle in r/f guard/enginebay.

Replace with suitable marley (or sim) drain pipe running down inner guard to fog light area. I have mine just above foglight to avoid getting water in the intake.

Works a treat, however, there is the odd transient noise and if you have george he'll be screaming his head off.

first pic is inside the drivers side wheel arch above the inner gaurd.

snorkelectomy is the removal of a section of the intake that hides in this inner gaurd.

-smurff

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...