Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×

Borked engine mounts - have i got them?

Marky

Short version -

Car has always had a chattery sound when starting to move from a stop, sounds like a twin plate (but it wont be) - never had a problem on the move etc so never really cared what it was, assumed its clutch or gbox related but put it in the meh basket

went over a pretty savage bump in the road a day or two ago, not like a "bang" hit but more of like taking a judder bump waaay to fast. no sus or rim damage BUT the shuddering has gotten 10x worse and is also noticable on downshifts if not rev matched too well.

car does also have more vibration at idle all of a sudden too

its livable albiet fkn annoying

my instant assumption is engine mounts torn, ive never had a suby engine out sooo a) how can i diagnose this properly (any other ideas are welcomed!) and b) can they be replaced in a driveway without a hoist etc

nope. does get a "clonk" if shifted to harshly when clutch gets let back out (say first to second) or if i go full noise and let off at highish revs

timmah cattle stop feeling is 100% best description

chattery noise is only ever taking off in first - think it might be unrelated as its always been there and hasnt changed

Marky']

nope. does get a "clonk" if shifted to harshly when clutch gets let back out (say first to second) or if i go full noise and let off at highish revs

timmah cattle stop feeling is 100% best description

chattery noise is only ever taking off in first - think it might be unrelated as its always been there and hasnt changed

I got the "clonk" noise when shifting "harshly" except my noise comes from the shifter. I don\'t get the shudder when braking or accelerating fast. Neither is my shudder when I\'m reving highly (3000rpm +)

Marky do we have to meet and compare our shudders and clonks? If you know what I mean.. ;)

[quote name='Al_baru said:

What about when you accelerate or brake fast? Do you get the chattery sound then too?

For me, no oddities when doing that. Just shifting at the lower rpms, except for an aggressive shift where I get the "clonk" or even a plonk noise form the gear shifter.

Does not sound like a broken engine mount... Al had one last weekend and it was very noisy all the time. I had the same noise as

you in my old STi when changing aggressively at autox... I thought it was the rear diff complaining... but nothing was broken.

Maybe yours is your gearbox mount getting sloppy? the rubber on those is surprisingly soft and squishy.

Craaaap sounds like i need to actually go under the car and look. crazy right

gearbox mount could make sense, rear diff mounts could explain it as well, will do the usual trick of take lots of pictures and let the internet diagnose it.

google is no help as per usual, getting as many threads saying yes broken mount as i am getting saying no it isnt

Just use your floor jack under the engine ,....Use a bit of wood to extend to one of the heads....Jack up carefully...You will see if engine mount is a 2 piece or not..............Do both sides...............If its a round one.......Probably Split into a 2 piecer.

Can be replaced from undercar............Awkward job esp driver side

did that, strong enough to lift the car off axle stands (oops)

test drive makes me think its severe clutch shudder, rolling on & off the pedal does nothing, only to do with clutch engagement it seems, drives like something with a brass button plate in it

Marky said:

did that, strong enough to lift the car off axle stands (oops)

test drive makes me think its severe clutch shudder, rolling on & off the pedal does nothing, only to do with clutch engagement it seems, drives like something with a brass button plate in it

Might explain the swaybar. To think the car may have had a rougher life before you jj...obviously.

What, I thought it was one careful lady owner before me shock horror haha - it\'s like the old story of buying a "dead stock" evo and lifting the carpet to find rollcage mounts

Just weird that it\'s started all of a sudden - guessing I\'ve somehow managed to put a hot spot onto the flywheel, weird it just kind of "arrived" without any particular incident to explain it - if I\'d been doing some sick launches bro I could at least say "this is what happens". Maybe I\'ve been riding the clutch without realising it or something. Never ever slips, bites quite hard, but the shudder is pretty severe. Meh

Anyone up north want to do a clutch for me in 3 weeks or so? haha

Here\'s the gearbox mount - smartphones have a use I suppose haha

I\'m not sure if this could cause the shudder - I think they\'re ok (albiet filthy as all hell) - but just getting a quick second opinion if I can?

IMG_20130312_164519_zpsf5526c3c.jpg

IMG_20130312_164805_zpsd4058fe5.jpg

IMG_20130312_164853_zps23299f6a.jpg