Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Starter Motor Issues, Fault Finding

Nick_96_RSB

Ok so i had some issues with my starter motor got a second hand one off a member for cheap and had it replaced, all was good for a week, then a couple of nights ago when it was rather cold it started doing the same thing again

go to start car and starts cranking and then goes to clicking and will not start

being that i\'m parked on a slope i chuck it in gear, roll it forward a little and dump clutch. stop then try again, turns over.

this also resets my boost gauge as if power has been disconnected ( it is a multicolour gauge and resets to the first color in the sequence)

could this be a battery issue rather than a starter issue? or just the replacement starter also bung?

i had a look at my terminals today and the positive side looks to have some green corrosion on it so i am going to go pick up a pair of new terminals tomorrow and give the battery terminals themselves a sanding and scrub with a wire brush to see if cleaning any crap off them will help and also go see if i can get my battery checked to see if it is on its last legs

my windows, stereo, lights etc all still work fine my battery is a 500CCA Century job 55D23LMF is the code on it. no idea how old it is, maintenance free etc

any thoughts?

sick battery, replace with a new one

if its fine when driving its not alternator or an earthing etc prob (most likely)

sorting the contacts out may help it, give that a whirl but its probably a bandaid

if problem persists please see your forum

i think i\'ll just go with new battery and terminals, especially with winter well on its way, i don\'t want to get stuck out in the cold, or worrying if its going to start $180 for peace of mind isn\'t alot really at the end of the day

yeah its just been replaced with another unit in the last couple of weeks, im going to give the poles on the battery a scrub tomorrow and change the terminals to new brass fittings and see if its an electrical connection problem, will also get battery checked to see if it is still working properly first before i fork out for a new one

To add my 2 cents worth

It is the battery, it needs to be replaced, when replacing DO NOT SKIMP, buy the biggest battery that will fit in the hole ( measure all the dimensions and then buy a battery that fits)

NS70/N50zz if it fits in the hole will give you the best performance over the long run.

We are borg said:

To add my 2 cents worth

It is the battery, it needs to be replaced, when replacing DO NOT SKIMP, buy the biggest battery that will fit in the hole ( measure all the dimensions and then buy a battery that fits)

NS70/N50zz if it fits in the hole will give you the best performance over the long run.

Just get a mf50 or like 600cca and maintenance free. Higher than average ns70.

evowrx']

[quote name='We are borg said:

To add my 2 cents worth

/quote]

Really ?

Ns 70/L Marshall/exide( I would not touch century) rated at 650CCA, the new naming for the same battery is N50zz/L is also 650CCA , both would fit my old Legacy and I have a NS70 in my Leone so I am guessing it will fit the Posters Subaru, Both have a Maintenance free option as well.

We are borg']

[quote name='We are borg said:

To add my 2 cents worth

/quote]

Really ?

Ns 70/L Marshall/exide( I would not touch century) rated at 650CCA, the new naming for the same battery is N50zz/L is also 650CCA , both would fit my old Legacy and I have a NS70 in my Leone so I am guessing it will fit the Posters Subaru, Both have a Maintenance free option as well.

Were talking hilux ns70l right? Doubt I would get one in impreza tray. Ns normally being classic style not mf. Also what temp the battery is tested at has a bearing on cca rating. From what Ive seen selling 80-100 batteries a month Id say buy supercharge. We originally had hella endurant which were bloody good but then went to supercharge who were better agaio. We would get 2-3 max supercharge back a month. Of batteries replaced I would say exide were 6-7 out of 10. Also supercharge 36 month warranty on mf. Also they would test up at 50-100cca higher than stickered capacity even after couple of months sitting due to the temp theyre tested at -18deg iirc and I have no idea why.

Unsure how that relates.

Not my experience/opinion just what customers come and buy/replace. Like I said 80-100 batteries a month for industrial/retail/forestry/commercial/whatever. That started to drop off about 4 years ago when everyone got all price conscious was more before that prob 6-8 a day. Everyone wants a warranty even when the batteries are 7-10 years old coz they only bought it last year after all. You may have found otherwise with batteries youve used but so many times exide have been under a year so have to send them off to warehouse etc anyway. Most were even the correct application not NS40 in a TD27 material. I had one customer in that time swear by exide now I know 2 people that do. :D

Might be of interest that supercharge bought exide...? Unsure if it was to use their network or vice versa there are rumours nothing founded yet.

So here is my battery check report,

Alternator is charging properly, but CCA has dropped, also the positive terminal was heavily corroded so got a couple of new brass terminals and a new 530CCA Repco brand battery with 3 year warranty. didn\'t really have time to go hunting around but this should do the trick, pretty much straight replacement of old battery, so far have only changed the positive terminal, but will get the the negative side if it stops raining

so with any luck this is the end of my starting issues and i will get my old starter motor bench tested and hopefully it is sweet and then i have a spare :)

2013-04-09130530.jpg