Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

4 Bolt Closed deck block to 8 bolt V5 STi gearbox Issues.......

Sorry if this question has been asked before, Had a quick look but couldn\'t find much on it.

So I am in the process of dropping a new mac-daddy forged closed deck engine in my V5 Sti. The problem I have noticed is that the block has a 4 bolt bell-housing and the gearbox has the 8 bolt assembly. (from what i have read they changed to the 8 bolt from the V5) Am i going to need a 4 bolt gearbox or can i get away with the existing 8 bolt one in some way?

• General Member

have read 1 guy had issues with cert man as they noticed unused bolt holes, there is a simple way around it if pulled up on it but as funky said no real issue, worked well for 10~20 years with just 4 bolts

JoKer said:

have read 1 guy had issues with cert man as they noticed unused bolt holes, there is a simple way around it if pulled up on it but as funky said no real issue, worked well for 10~20 years with just 4 bolts

Put 4 short bolts into the holes and no ones the wiser

• General Member

pretty much : even the WOF guys are confused over the last set of updates, but yea they just doing their job sometimes

edit found the reference to picky "inspector"

gtlegacy said:

okay am fixing a car for my mate to get pink sticker off because hes in ozzy

ive fixed everything else

the car has a 4bolt motor with 8 bolt gearbox inspector says i need bellhousing bolts whats the go there?

also the starter is from 8 bolt so only held by 1 bolt as thats all thats there to hold it in

Cut the lug off behind the turbo at the top ;)(around the 2 O\'clock mark on the gearbox) Then you can get the gearbox off and back in a hell of a lot easier ;) (when you inevitably have to do a clutch replacement one day!)

Issue Ive had a couple of times is not checking dowels arent in both bellhousing and gearbox. Right fuck off when its sliding home the dowells hit lol. I would tap the hole for the starter stud make it work somehow personally but thats just me if it works who cares.

Keep us updated. What mods it got?

evowrx said:

Issue Ive had a couple of times is not checking dowels arent in both bellhousing and gearbox. Right bother off when its sliding home the dowells hit lol. I would tap the hole for the starter stud make it work somehow personally but thats just me if it works who cares.

Helicoil goes straight into the hole without needing drilling. Just tap it and wind it in. If you tap the existing hole for a stud to go straight in, then you\'ll need a bigger stud than standard and have to drill out the hole on the starter and I\'m not sure if there\'s room for a bigger nut either.

Koom']

[quote name='evowrx said:

Issue Ive had a couple of times is not checking dowels arent in both bellhousing and gearbox. Right bother off when its sliding home the dowells hit lol. I would tap the hole for the starter stud make it work somehow personally but thats just me if it works who cares.

/quote]

Helicoil goes straight into the hole without needing drilling. Just tap it and wind it in. If you tap the existing hole for a stud to go straight in, then you\'ll need a bigger stud than standard and have to drill out the hole on the starter and I\'m not sure if there\'s room for a bigger nut either.

Yea you are completely correct I thought that after posting then saw you said that so meh.

evowrx']

/quote]

Yea you are completely correct I thought that after posting then saw you said that so meh.

Haha, I just thought you were dissing helicoil\'s ;D

Koom']

/quote]

Haha, I just thought you were dissing helicoil\'s ;D

What would you do if i was lol... but no theyre mint just like them rivnut jobs.

420912_5151820852072.jpg

I hope the above photo works....

So Mods.....

Closed deck Block

Dowled crankcase

Version 6 heads

Aries forged pistons

Eagle rods

ACL Bearings

ARP Bolts

Steel shim head gasket

Kelford Camshafts

Valves

Valve springs

and all the head and block work that goes with a new build. 9k spent on the long block alone.

Custom exhaust manifold (built for GT35)

Garrett GT35 (AR63 exhaust housing)

Tial wastegate 38mm (will prob be going 44mm to get better control)

FMIC

Tial BOV

800cc Sard injectors (standard rails ATM. Will be going high flow shortly)

Sard FPR

Walbro 500hp fuel pump

Possum Link ECU ATM (will be moving Link G4 shortly)

and loads more but think right now

your link looks good - but its not right some how - check the permissions on the photo.

(sorry i have super powers to check at this end :P )

also sounds like a reasonable well thought out build, but that turbo is going to be reasonable laggy on a 2.0 :-X

Yea I don\'t know whats wrong, will try redo the image tomorrow. Will give the turbo a go and if its not for me then will look at something different. I did go for the small exhaust housing to try reduce some lag but will see how it goes i suppose.

if its a drag car, if you can spool the 3582 up before launch it should go real well, it will just struggle a bit offboost.

0.63 is about as big as you want to go regardless on a ej motor. its more the wheels being to large than the housings on the 3582 and 2l combo. They make massive power though - i\'ve seen up to 350wheel..

funkytown said:

if its a drag car, if you can spool the 3582 up before launch it should go real well, it will just struggle a bit offboost.

0.63 is about as big as you want to go regardless on a ej motor. its more the wheels being to large than the housings on the 3582 and 2l combo. They make massive power though - i\'ve seen up to 350wheel..

What about r8td r? Heapsa powers. Cant remember the figure but is in dyno thread.