Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

engine swap options for a ej1.6

Especially given how many rando as little changes there are with Subaru looms over the years / models

If its a low end model it may not even run an afm

Turbo swap or don\'t bother is marks marginally educated unwarranted and unrequested opinion

other issues maybe is the 1.6 an EJ series( I know for awhile they were still using the EA in the cheap models)

is the 1.6 single of double OHC ( going on it is an EJ ) if single u will may have to stay single( harder to spot engine swap)

I have a quad cam NA 2 litre Long block here, it will be cheap, could see if the 16 intake manifolds fit and run the 16 ecu,injectors,airflow ( the ecu may be able to handle the increase in cc as it works on th amount of airflow so it may have enough "extra" in it )

The link you just posted proves there is no loophole bro

Will my vehicle require LVV certification if I increase the engine size?

Yes the LVV threshold table states that the replacement engine must be equal or lesser capacity than the OE engine so LVV certification is required.

Will I require LVV certification if I increase the power of my engine?

LVV certification will be required if the increase in power is more than 20%. Adding a supercharger or turbocharger automatically requires certification.

So larger = needs cert

Or more power = needs cert

There is no loophole, the law is quite clear to be fair

The laws on certing go much further than that too - for example a singe turboed legacy should be certed, as it has modifications to the turbo system. In practise you\'d almost never get called out on it BUT point stands

Single turbo doesn\'t require cert because it\'s not actually an \'increase\' in power, nor is it adding a turbo, removing one actually. But yeah increase cap is cert requiring I see(I\'ve been reading it wrong the whole time :( ).although ripping me out is fun; it\'s of no help to the OP. I\'m wrong, coolies: back to helping. The brakes information is also what I was getting at with that link.

We are borg said:

other issues maybe is the 1.6 an EJ series( I know for awhile they were still using the EA in the cheap models)

is the 1.6 single of double OHC ( going on it is an EJ ) if single u will may have to stay single( harder to spot engine swap)

I have a quad cam NA 2 litre Long block here, it will be cheap, could see if the 16 intake manifolds fit and run the 16 ecu,injectors,airflow ( the ecu may be able to handle the increase in cc as it works on th amount of airflow so it may have enough "extra" in it )

engine is a ej16erm2aa

do u really think putting the ej16 mani on a 2.0 block will get the ecu running it

i know its NZ so fully afm dependant for fueling..

turbos seem to have issues with bigger capacity on stock ecu tho....

94 Leone said:

Single turbo doesn\'t require cert because it\'s not actually an \'increase\' in power, nor is it adding a turbo, removing one actually. But yeah increase cap is cert requiring I see(I\'ve been reading it wrong the whole time :( ).although ripping me out is fun; it\'s of no help to the OP. I\'m wrong, coolies: back to helping. The brakes information is also what I was getting at with that link.

Note: LVV certification is always required for the fitting of a supercharger or turbocharger as a modification, or the upgrading of a supercharger, turbo or wastegate, or the re-chipping of electronic engine control units on turbo vehicles.

It\'s an upgrade - it should be certed. it\'s not trying to hammer you its more just correcting stuff that is wrong since others might be thinking the same thing.

Anyway - spoon - in theory factory ecus will cope with a bump in capacity, but it\'s often up the whack - say for a given throttle opening, it will now be having airflow much more than before, idle might be a bit insane etc. no different to say making a massive jump in power via heads/cams etc and sticking with factory ecu. If anything it\'s normally the light load & idle which isn\'t right, full noise & heavy throttle is normally fine.

Fwiw it\'s quite normal on other cars - I.e using 2l ecu, afm and injectors runs passably fine on a 1.6 or 1.8 mitsi motor for example. Not perfect but it runs.

Same goes for running an rb25 on an rb20 ecu, etc etc - works but not ideal

Marky']

[quote name='94 Leone said:

/quote]

Note: LVV certification is always required for the fitting of a supercharger or turbocharger as a modification, or the upgrading of a supercharger, turbo or wastegate, or the re-chipping of electronic engine control units on turbo vehicles.

It\'s an upgrade - it should be certed. it\'s not trying to hammer you its more just correcting stuff that is wrong since others might be thinking the same thing.

Anyway - spoon - in theory factory ecus will cope with a bump in capacity, but it\'s often up the whack - say for a given throttle opening, it will now be having airflow much more than before, idle might be a bit insane etc. no different to say making a massive jump in power via heads/cams etc and sticking with factory ecu. If anything it\'s normally the light load & idle which isn\'t right, full noise & heavy throttle is normally fine.

Fwiw it\'s quite normal on other cars - I.e using 2l ecu, afm and injectors runs passably fine on a 1.6 or 1.8 mitsi motor for example. Not perfect but it runs.

Same goes for running an rb25 on an rb20 ecu, etc etc - works but not ideal

is the low end really that bad as in not liveable?

hmm if one was to bolt a ej20G long block to the 1.6 intake/exhaust mani and use the 1.6 ecu and afm - will it run ok (any better than a straight 1.6 - given ej20g will have lower comp)

no turbo mounted

Someone found the silver spraypaint haha

Just do it, if all sensors etc are used it will run, I have 0 idea what\'s compatible though

So long as all the triggers bolt on, and sensors etc are the same, in theory yes it will run

How well, trial and error - worst case might be able to get sorted with a safc or some mix and matching afms? (like 20% larger afm or something?)

the engine in the pic is a EFI (no carbs that i can see?)

what are the thoughts of running a dohc long block on a sohc ecu?

or what if he were to keep the sohc heads and put them on a 2litre shortblock?

so basically just swap 1.6 shortblock to 2.0 shortblock - keep same ecu and afm and manifolds....

SP00N said:

I posted engine number above if it helps

Yea wikipedia says 1.6 is sohc so a 1.8 sohc may be the next option as the Ecu may just run it

I think lol....

fuk it, not allowed the car now (the BF with the 1.8 ) the missus said FARK OFF to getting another subaru on the property

so unless u can get down to timaru to get engine out, i cant help you sorry

its in storage, the actual owners dont want a thing to do with it.. i am aloud to grab whatever i want but have to arrange for it to be dumped