Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

engine swap options for a ej1.6

Guest hate-evoz

tell your friends to join up bro you always asking on their behalf I feels sorry for you man they lazy lol

haha with his 1.6 i think he is too shy lol

(young fell fresh outta school)

im just glad he got a suby

will dropping a 2. and matching ecu (from the same model work - any rewiring needed?

its all NA stuff

GF3a, if follows the wrx / sti pattern would tell me its a wagon (GF), i would pick 3 being poverty spec or 1.6, and the A being version 1. so it would be a 93/94 build yes?

it still has the same chassis as all the rest so as per above if reloomed, ecu, and motor it should all bolt up.. $$ / worth it i dunno

the subframe mount points are the same so win, just need to worry about GB bellhousing, id put my money on them being identical.

Note Kamineko put an entire turbo running gear in a 1.6 NA auto shit bucket. no issue total bolt up. but he reused is turbo box.

a GC/ GF chassis is a GC/GF chassis is a GC/GF chassis....

With matching ecu should be fine; but there may be differences in pins for legacy/impreza if that\'s where it\'s going. If you get a 2L from the same year: ecu should match fine. Is it a yellow 3 plug ecu, or green 2 plug?

So does any motor of larger capacity (I thought?)

Chances of being picked up on it are next to nothing to be fair

If you\'re gonna go to all that trouble for a 1.8 or 2.0 swap, would it work out fasterer in the end if a 2.5 legacy motor was used? (I don\'t know the figures on power sorry)

End of the day if loom matches ecu matches engine sensors then you have a running engine, given how Lego-y these cars are I can\'t imagine it will be any harder than any other "family" engine swap (I.e rbxx swaps, b16/18 swaps etc etc)

Dumb idea ultimately but we were all there once I guess

Hell some muppets even try and make power out of legacy tts

94 Leone said:

Only more than a 20% increase in power requires a certification.

But if you want it to be worthwhile upgrade higher, or he could try go for a high power N/A build, 2.5 block, 2.2 heads, hi-compression.

Incorrect. Try again sir.

LVV Certification is always required for any engine or drive-train-related modifications unless specified below: (if modification does not appear below, always refer to LVV Certifier)

LVV Certification is not required provided that: (refer to LVV Certifier if beyond threshold below)

 When compared with the OE engine, the replacement engine:

is of the same or less cubic capacity; and

 has equal or less weight; and

 has the same or less power output; and

 uses the same fuel (petrol, diesel, LPG, CNG); and

 uses the same unmodified attachment points and system (ie bolts-in); and

 uses the same family of block and cylinder head from the same vehicle manufacturer; and

 is of the same configuration.

I always understood its EITHER 20% power gain OR more capacity - not simply that the power has to rise

If in doubt, look here

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_LVV_Cert_Threshold.pdf

Its been like that since I first looked into the LVVTA stuff which was probably circa 2005 ::)

Also AFAIcanremember changing the ECU requires a cert. Even chipping an ECU requires a cert.

Back on topic I guess - chances of being caught out are sweet f-all, the motors visually are identical (unless you\'re a Subaru trainspotter type)

But resale etc will be a mofo if it\'s not done legit, unless it\'s sold as a real healthy 1.6l impreza haha

Ditto for possibility of potential insurance uh-oh, if you got a prang and the assessor decided to check engine numbers vs chassis and went wait a minute

Certing would "likely" want brake upgrade etc to suit larger motor, may get by with just pads

Thinking about this too much

The 20% increase thing, There are loopholes; but everything contradicts itself, I definitely remember there was a clause stating no certification was required if engine capacity or power was increased by less than or equal 20%

Just sayin\'. It was there: but I can\'t prove it right now.

Whatever.

Assuming he wants an EJ20, he just needs to find another impreza ecu and ej20 of the same era and it\'ll fit and work.

Ecu, and afm are likely to be the only non-mechanical swaps required.

For certification, he may want better brakes. But it\'s up to the guy as to what he does in the end.

If it was me Id save some face and shut the fuck up lol.

The brake thing is what the cert man says is required not what he may or may not need.

Without knowing the pin out on each you really cant say its a simple plug and play job.