Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Newly installed stereo Whines wiht engine revs?

ozzy

Reposted a bit as I read my last post and it didn\'t make sense.

I changed out my macintosh (amped) head unit today using the din cable / rca hack described in another thread. All seems to be working well, but as mentioned by others I have a whine that increase in line with the revs. Has anyone had and solved this problem? Help.

Cheers

• Admin

Assume you haven\'t installed a new amp or speakers?

I had this problem a few weeks ago, was completely convinced it was the alternator but turned out to be speaker interference.

Try having someone hold the accelerator down until you hear the whine and put your ear to each speaker and you may hear it from there, didn\'t work for me so i just unplugged all the speakers which stopped the noise and put them back in one by one until the noise started again.

a poor connection could be the cause of the interference too if speakers haven\'t been changed.

@we are borg: in what way would a condenser cause this problem? just curious as i\'ve never heard of that before

Cheers for the replies so far. I am a muppet when it comes to this stuff so please bare with me. How would I go about grounding the rca\'s? There is a black wire free, I assume this is the ground and have connected it to bare metal in the car. Does this make it grounded?

• Admin
 ozzy said:

Cheers for the replies so far. I am a muppet when it comes to this stuff so please bare with me. How would I go about grounding the rca\'s? There is a black wire free, I assume this is the ground and have connected it to bare metal in the car. Does this make it grounded?

Yeah, a black wire is probably ground and is probably really important ;)

I\'d suggest you get someone who knows their way around these things to have a quick look over it, basically what you have is probably a ground loop and they\'re a gigantic bastard to locate sometimes.

Once again, is it a Pioneer headunit?

Although whatever it is, if you powered it up without the ground connected then it has almost definitely grounded through the RCAs and probably done something nasty to the RCA ground path. If it\'s a Pioneer the RCA\'s fusible link would have popped the moment you turned it on.

Not a pioneer, it\'s a jvc. cheers. It may now be a case of looking towards replacing the whole system as the speakers are proving to be very average. So maybe new speakers all round, 5 channel amp and a little 8 inch in the rear where the factory sub is located. Would make for a nice clean easy to install set up.

• Admin

Unless you have people in the back alot of the time i wouldn\'t even bother with rears, just put some good components and a 8 inch in and it sounds worlds better, mine did have some bottom rung pioneer speakers in the back that the last guy put in which i just run off the headunit with the volume set a bit lower just for a more surround feel. Thought about dynamat to get a little bit more out of them but decided it wasn\'t really worth it on an 7-8 grand car