Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Fire extinguisher mounting

Johnnynz

• General Member

Just wonder where does everyone have there fire extingusihers mounted?

And where is the best (easiest) place to mount them?

I considered passengers footwell on the ECU cover but its a bit far from drivers seat, and I wasnt to hot on the idea of being on the ECU cover also.

I also considered on the plastic side peice of the centre console but I figure if you cant use a plastic bracket for it you probably cant mount it on plastic either is that correct?

So basicaly where is the best place to mount this?

Cheers

John

i think 41.co.nz sell a mount, tht goes on the frount of the passanger seat.

mines mounted to the transmission tunnel on the passanger side with a metal mounting bracket. but i have no interior on tht part.

i would say it needt to be mounted to a metal part of the car.

-smurff

JoKer said:

Drivers side would be better in my mind - cant reach far strapped in...

but yea there was those brackets that go between front seat bolts...

5mm Gutter bolts is the go minimum

yea, im lookin to move mine, now with the seats in, i thought of tht hahaha,

but for road car, its easyier to reach across

-smurff

• General Member
 newsuba said:

Ditto.

Get a strong, flat piece of metal, some good drillbits and DIY

;)

IMG_7721.jpg

I very much like this. Did you reuse the stock seat bolts or get bigger ones?

Also im assuming this creates no problems with WOF guys or track officials?

Also this would work on the drviers seat to wouldnt it? or am I missing some issue here?

Johnnynz said:

I very much like this. Did you reuse the stock seat bolts or get bigger ones?

Also im assuming this creates no problems with WOF guys or track officials?

Also this would work on the drviers seat to wouldnt it? or am I missing some issue here?

Used stock seat bolts.

No probs with WOF or scrutineering.

Should work on drivers side but in my car space seems a bit tighter and you will have to make allowance for the remote boot opener.

I have this problem too. May put on the drivers side cos the passenger seat always gets moved. Currently have it mounted on the ridge just behind the passenger seat handle, underneath the front lip of the seat...pain in the bot bot.

Johnnynz said:

So I cant just use the metal quick release bracket that comes with the extinguisher?

- Edit - I brought one of those supercheap jobies FYI.

Should be usable as long as the mounting holes line up.

Those US brackets are pretty expensive though.

I'd stick with DIY

• General Member

Ah yep sweet as. Got a bit confused tyhere for a bit and thought I may need the actual holder to be of a certain type.

The mtal bracket DIY idea looks like a goer to me, simple enough as I have a mate who can shape cut or bend steel as needed and a drillbit and spanner will do the rest.

Johnnynz said:

Ah yep sweet as. Got a bit confused tyhere for a bit and thought I may need the actual holder to be of a certain type.

The mtal bracket DIY idea looks like a goer to me, simple enough as I have a mate who can shape cut or bend steel as needed and a drillbit and spanner will do the rest.

for some trackdays the extinguisher needs to be in a metal cradle fastened by at least 5mm gutter bolts as joker said earlier. ie as newsuba pic is and subieboys pic isn't

stolen straight from the MSNZ Manual (Book 34, Schedule A, 4.6 Fire Extinguishers):

(4) Mounting: Extinguishers shall be installed in accordance with the following:

(a) A retaining system incorporating quick release metal fastenings/straps, or material of

equivalent strength (ie Kevlar), secured to the structure of the vehicle by a minimum of two

6mm bolts with panel washers and locknuts.

(b) Hand held extinguishers shall be positioned within easy reach of the occupant/s while

normally seated (not mandatory for single seaters)

I use washers top and bottom and nyloc nuts - about $2-3 for everything at Bunnings? I would suggest using something larger - (ie 8mm bolts) so there is no possibility of a scrutineer being unsure your bolts are big enough.

Using the seat bolts as mounts is a good idea, as they are plenty strong enough and saves drilling holes in your car. I wouldnt personally waste the money buying a mount, just drill two holes in a piece of metal like shown in one of the first posts.