Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

gearbox question

ydragu

JoKer said:

for those that dont know about stuff like this (ie me) is it easier to switch the REAR or CENTER diff to make thme match?

I assume center/back of the Gearbox one

center is irrelevant (where the center is 1:1 (for completeness)). its the front and rear that need to match. your question swapped with "front" as the front is the one that also comes in your subaru 4wd box is the harder to change. The rear being the easiest to make it all match.

And to clints point - dont guess. Use the gearbox numbers and the gearbox charts in the sticky to confirm what you have / need.

just found a leggy with a buggered box and im wrecking a twin turbo one hence no gearbox numbers so the crown wheel and pinion will go straight into the bc diff case or can i just swap the whole diff

thanks heaps for the help guys and the quick response

• General Member
 funkytown said:

no joker. USE THE CHART!

auto and manual with in a model year can differ, and cross model year also different and non logical pattern in diff choice

see that\'s the kinda info we needed in this thread : like pulling teeth hahahhah

Also with the age of the majority of the cars on here, it\'s not unreasonable to think that the gearbox has been swapped at some time in the past and could now contain anything. I don\'t even trust the numbers on the box as the internals can be swapped (rare cases).

(Also another rare case is where a 1.1:1 centre diff is used and then you end up with 4.444 at one end and 4.111 at the other. I had that on a TY755* box I put in my RS)

ydragu, just swap the whole rear diff, checking that the axles are correct or swap them too as the inner cv\'s are different between some models. I\'d only swap the crown/pinion inside the diff housing if I didn\'t have the axles to fit into the replacement diff.

According to my notes that I made when I split it to figure out what it was (there was no info on the net for a TY755VN5AA), the front diff had 40:9 teeth i.e. 4.444:1

The centre diff had 40:37 teeth so was actually 1:1.081

If you divide 4.444/1.081 you get 4.111 and my rear diff has 37:9 teeth i.e. 4.111:1

So it all works out. I think it would be for a mechanical torque split but I\'m too jetlagged currently to figure if it gives a slight torque advantage to the rear or if it all works out to be equal and in that case there must have been some other reason to put in a centre diff that wasn\'t a plain old 1:1 ratio?