• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

boost cut?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BC5RA said:

Bite the bullet and drop it off at a reputable Subaru mechanic, or drop by and see if they will take it out and put it on a select monitor.

would do mate but i live in waipukurau lol thats 60k away from any subbi shop, cant even find my plugs 2 do a cel check, that much wires and crap up there can see anything

i have the same problem as you, i believe that mine is electrical issues as after the car's power is removed the car runs perfectly

After doing some repairs to mine, i left the bat off for 3 weeks, once put it back on the car would start first time, run smooth and didn't has any issues for just over 2 days... (assuming it had time to analysis sensor etc) in the morning it was hard to start, jumpy and started missing again, remove the power for 2 days, plug back in same results...

are you able to pin point any causes with yours? what does it do?

ive replaced-afm,plugs,coils,fuel filter

only at full boost, dont think it matters what full psi is coz at 12 psi it cutout also,at 8psi now, with just me in the car its sweet boosts like a dream, with a load it cuts like once on full psi its like hitting 180speed kut but no as savere, havent hot 180 kut for few years now so myt be just the same as that lol

Guest 1990_RS

How much is too much boost from a 1991 legacy RS? Coz Im running 16psi and apparently its too much.

1990_RS said:

How much is too much boost from a 1991 legacy RS? Coz Im running 16psi and apparently its too much.

Is that PSI on the original engine?

What modifications are you running to allow safe running of 16 psi?

CUDDAS said:

Hey hi sorry i left that out as it looked like a novel, the fuel cut has been removed, & have a modicontrol ecu chip in now, but the GT ecu also had a chip in the ecu when it was auto, i however am still running the same air flow meter, inlet manifold although somewhat modified now, idle air control valve (IAC valve), throttle body, that was on the origanal set up when i bought the car over ten years ago now, & am using a pod filter also without the problems that i have read about, each to their own tho a

Do you run 21 psi often? or do you have a daily set boost..

Boost should be determined by setup.

Guest evolutionsti

People keep advising yellow top inectors.can i run them on a 91' gt with standard computer???then im gonna boost the f..kn ass off this thing!

evolutionsti said:

People keep advising yellow top inectors.can i run them on a 91' gt with standard computer???then im gonna boost the f..kn ass off this thing!

no. the computer needs to run a different tune if you change injectors

CUDDAS']

[quote name='boostin said:

What sort of power at those boost levels?

/quote]

was only dyno'd on 21.psi @ a performance car day in chch back in 05, GT 4spd auto in 2nd gear made 176. kw @ 6500rpm & 1030 NM torque ATW's on a torque performance dynamometer. i'm still using the same engine & heads, but have have had a few changes in engine bay layout & so on, just personal touches here n there It's never really finished. :-\

With a TD05 you should easily be able to make that much power at 15psi. Your engine running efficiently at 21psi should be making well over 200kw atw. Without knowing too much about the setup you have it would seem that your turbo is well out of its efficiency range or something in the intake is choking flow (kinda like a restrictor that rally cars run). Can yours hold that much boost right up through the rev range or does the boost level taper off as the revs rise?

G-unit said:

geez 21psi would be awsome, dont think it would last long on a near stock rs motor tho

I did some not so careful testing once (on grey 380cc injectors) and it seems that a standard RS EJ20 with a freeboosted (i.e. ~25psi) TD05 will last about 5 quarter mile runs before it completely lets go and attempts to split the motor in half. It seems that the rod bolts stretch when running reeeally lean at 7500rpm. Made quite a decent amount of power up until then though.

Can yours hold that much boost right up through the rev range or does the boost level taper off as the revs rise?

Mine is doing this with the VF8... lower down in revs it sits at 14psi but the boost slowly falls down to 11-12 up the rev range..

Running a 14psi chip on the standard boost control solenoid..

I know that the restrictor pill is not in any of the wastegate lines

When i tried a boost bleed tap i could not get any control. It was either free boosting or Wastegate pressure.7psi.

Any ideas boys?

.I would love to get a steady 15psi on the track..

^^^You don't think this could be a symptom of the VF8?

In saying that i ran a Group N 8 bit chip that was the motorsport version only, ran 15psi solid each gear, would hold that to 6500rpm where i would shift.

As for holding that to redline; I couldn't say, I believe in shifting back into the torque.

Guest boostin

Weird. I had no issues with my VF10 holding 13psi with a tap.

Your wastegate diaphragm isn't leaking??

Guest boostin

Actually, if it was leaking it would overboost.

What sort of tap is it? Not a $10 Trade Me special??