Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

boost cut?

so like i was driving home tonight seeing how much i was actualy boosting cause i finaly got a new working gauge was about 11-12 PSI and the engine kinda stalled like it was all good then it felt like a tugg from the engine? what could that be? boost cut? turbo going NO??!!?! and also whats a good turbo upgrade from the stock one? and if u didnt know its a 1st gen legacy GTS

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Subiedo said:

so like i was driving home tonight seeing how much i was actualy boosting cause i finaly got a new working gauge was about 11-12 PSI and the engine kinda stalled like it was all good then it felt like a tugg from the engine? what could that be? boost cut? turbo going NO??!!?! and also whats a good turbo upgrade from the stock one? and if u didnt know its a 1st gen legacy GTS

tug? can you explain more? Kinda stall as in lose power?

Boost Cut shuts down the engine for a second, its very noticeable... Also Gen1 legacy have a 15 PSI boost cut on there ECU (provided that yours hasn't been modified)

Could be a turbo problem, if you were looking to upgrade a TD05 or VF22-23 would be what you would look at upgrading too, There are a few TD05 on TradeMe at the moment if you where looking at getting one

it felt lke the same feelng as speed cut there was a harsh like stop ld say almost as f t suddenly stoped spoolng andd i am gunna look at gettng one if the turbo is fuckng out i wouldnt be surprised if it was the turbo dying engines at 185k its how i work a stock part breaks then upgrade not fix :P also if i upgrade ill need to get bigger injectors too? any reccomendations?

Subiedo said:

it felt lke the same feelng as speed cut there was a harsh like stop ld say almost as f t suddenly stoped spoolng andd i am gunna look at gettng one if the turbo is ****ng out i wouldnt be surprised if it was the turbo dying engines at 185k its how i work a stock part breaks then upgrade not fix :P also if i upgrade ill need to get bigger injectors too? any reccomendations?

Maybe you did hit boost cut then, but it normally occurs at 15PSI

If you are looking at upgrading then yeah injectors etc... I'm currently upgrading my Gen1 92 GT wagon, i'm putting in 440's (yellow top injectors) 550HP in tank fuel pump and doing a split fuel rail TD05 turbo, 2.5" or 3" down pipe and more

My suggestion is to do a bit of reserach and see what it is you want out of the car

What turbo do you currently have in the car a VF10 or VF8?

yea i love low end boost atm my turbo starts spooling after 2000 rpm um.. im not sure what turbo i have atm its stock? engines a ej20 so whatevers stock for a ej20 :P how much all up u think it would cost to upgrade to a VF22-23 or TD05? like including all the injectors and pipes etc? also labour seeing as i dun know shit about what ild be doing haha

Subiedo,

You original question states that your having issues with your car, and now you've moved on to asking about modifications.

Do you service the car yourself?

or do you rarely think of servicing your vehicle?

Subiedo']

i dont service it myself i pay peeps to do it for me and yea its a issue but see if it is fked then ill upgrade it?

[quote name='BC5RA said:

Upgrade what?

+1

Sounds like you're just hitting boost cut. Mine used to do it around 13-14psi on the factory ECU and this would happen all the time on cold nights (not helped by 3" downpipe + CAI).

Could always get it chipped. I quite liked mine when it was basically standard and running on a Group N chip. The chip controlled the boost to a nice solid 15psi. The turbo eventually let go but the way I treated it, that was inevitable ;D

haha yea i think i might put it down to 10psi and see what happens and upgrade whatevers broken its how im doing my car drive it till the stock fucks out then upgrade the broken stock bit to a better bit?

The factory setup is good for an extra 40 odd horsepower very easily and will not push the Factory setup out of there efficiency range.

Best way is as Koom has pointed out with a Chip upgrade; slots straight in.

I'll take a punt and say your ride is a Facelift model, as i seem to remember you admitting you didn't know which series it was ::)

If it is a Facelift then you will need a 16 bit upgrade if it is not a Facelift then an 8 bit chip is what you need.

You say it is a 1991 GTS; there is no such model.

You mean 1991 GT (possibly an s2) it will most likely have a VF10 (factory fitment)

16 bit it will be.

Your looking for an eprom board that houses two 8 bit chips (hence 16 bit)

Early V1/2 WRX also used a 4 plug 16 bit ECU, so you could by one of those with the chip fitted and scavenge the board.

Subiedo said:

yea i love low end boost atm my turbo starts spooling after 2000 rpm um.. im not sure what turbo i have atm its stock? engines a ej20 so whatevers stock for a ej20 :P how much all up u think it would cost to upgrade to a VF22-23 or TD05? like including all the injectors and pipes etc? also labour seeing as i dun know **** about what ild be doing haha

Rather a lot :o

Turbo - 250+

Fuel pump 250

Split Fuel Rail 150-200

Down Pipe 200 {If you buy one already made} {{ Unsure of if you get one made}}

Yellow Injectors 150-200ish (depending where you get them from)

You are looking at a low really and that is without factoring in labour. You don't really need to worry about labour because most of the stuff can be done yourself, just need to research a little bit..

Like anything to do with car, if you can find someone that know what they are doing it can be done fairly cheaply..

BC5RA said:

The factory setup is good for an extra 40 odd horsepower very easily and will not push the Factory setup out of there efficiency range.

Best way is as Koom has pointed out with a Chip upgrade; slots straight in.

I'll take a punt and say your ride is a Facelift model, as i seem to remember you admitting you didn't know which series it was ::)

If it is a Facelift then you will need a 16 bit upgrade if it is not a Facelift then an 8 bit chip is what you need.

You say it is a 1991 GTS; there is no such model.

You mean 1991 GT (possibly an s2) it will most likely have a VF10 (factory fitment)

What about getting this ECU? would this help his cause?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=225025990

rsb_leggy said:

slightly offtopic but with japanese ecu tuned for 100+ octane whats the best way of getting around that in this country where 98 is the best weve got?

Nothing.

Either you buy a Tunable ECU and tune it for the appropriate octane or run octane booster.

Just make sure you use 98 whenever you can, plenty of Subaru's kicking around on it.

Guest boostin
 Bazza-NZ said:

I'm currently upgrading my Gen1 92 GT wagon, i'm putting in 440's (yellow top injectors) 550HP in tank fuel pump and doing a split fuel rail TD05 turbo, 2.5" or 3" down pipe and more

My exact setup, and works very well. You'll need your ECU chipped to run the yellows though. I'm running 17psi and it fair f'n hauls!!

My 8 bit ECU chip cost me $150, supplied and fitted by Dynamic Race.

haha guess what, went for drive 2day gave it sum gas in 5th and full boost and started surging again, should i have reset ecu when i changed,fuel filter,plugs,coils and afm? if so whats quikest/easiest way 2 do so, used 2 haul on higher psi now stock and it does this, suks

• 2 weeks later...

bit of an update, my car only hesitates when have passengers in the car, when its just me and full boost runing 7-8psi its sweet as

getting anoyed with this, local electricians are hopeless and dont seem 2 know anything