Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Single conversion BE5

nickmcgill

Howdy,

I\'m contemplating finally doing a single conversion to my BE5 providing it doesn\'t cause any warranty issues with Subworx.

What would peoples recommendations / estimated costings ?

I\'m assuming I would need a new ECU etc for this too.

I would be getting it done by Richard / SAS depending on when he had time.

Will be run on a auto trans still.

I\'m not looking to make bigger power etc just after more constant power band and not having to use the twins every time I want to pass something.

I also find my primary spools to fast currently and starts building boost pressure after 2k rpm.

Would it be worth upgrading the primary to something slightly larger or would that then go cause issues with the pressure valves for the sequential change over ?

Edit : Timmah also suggested potentially a sequential controller if this might be a cheap yet as effective option ?

and i think that there would be an issue with single turbo v5 ecu and the auto box but thats in my head. And for the money that you could sell that car for there are alot of options for single turbo and manual if thats what you are wanting to pull in the ladies or lady

If I was going to upgrade I would be going to a BP wagon with a EZ30.

Sadly I only just have the cash to run the fuel in this now.

Was going to be a long term thing to look at perhaps around Christmas time.

I think I\'m just going to get a custom made mid section by Richard and potentially a ZS controller if it needs it after that.

nickmcgill said:

If I was going to upgrade I would be going to a BP wagon with a EZ30.

Sadly I only just have the cash to run the fuel in this now.

Was going to be a long term thing to look at perhaps around Christmas time.

I think I\'m just going to get a custom made mid section by Richard and potentially a ZS controller if it needs it after that.

What revision BE5 do you have ?

Its rev B or C?

Nick one small idea - if you could find a VF26 exhaust housing, that in place of your VF25 one would slow down the primary spool a bit and give it a wee bit more oomph where it spends most of its time

I\'m not sure how a Z/S controller would help on the auto box to be fair - if you go foot down, it kicks down past the VOD anyway wouldn\'t it?

Mine\'s Rev C I\'m pretty sure.

@ 94 Leone Yes they have separate units for both although com linked (I think that\'s what it\'s called) so they talk to each other.

In saying that the trip tronic is apparently controlled by another unit again.

@Marky I\'ll look into that, as stupid as it sounds it\'s annoying as hell having it come on boost so quickly.

If I do plant it yes it will go into twin range but I\'ll be suddenly also going 120km/h in a 70 zone and going to redline all the time.

Ideally with the Z/S I would have it tuned to open the secondary up around 3,500rpm as that\'s where the primary runs out of puff.

Giving it better linear power without having to go to such high revs to get the power that I need at the time.

Also people have said that the trans will be the main part of the issue with power loss due to the slush box.

In saying that my sisters BG wagon had an auto trans and it had stupid amounts of torque in comparison to mine on a stock standard motor with only a mid section and tip exhaust.

The ZSSC adjustments:

Transition up/ Single to Twin Turbo 4000--->5000rpm

Transition done/Twin Turbo to Single 3300<----4900rpm

The minimum rpm difference between transition up to transition done is 100rpm (4900<-->5000)and the maximum is 1700rpm(3300<-->5000)

Just out of curiosity - what is done to your car now nick?

I know that just replacing the back muffler and losing the centre cat makes the biggest value for $ difference in feel, definately perks up the midrange substantially and might help your cause (if not done already)

.... and cat removal is also $free if you have a suitable bashing pole hahaha

I was looking at getting the SC but with the availability issues I think I will look into exhaust changes.

I\'m gonna get Richard to make up a 2.5" mid section with two resonators once I\'ve got the money.

Currently it\'s got factory air box ZS intake "S" pipe, 1.75" silicon turbos to intercooler hoses and straight through exhaust rear diff back.

Not sure how much the cats are restricting it but I suppose I will find out soon enough.

Also G-box is naffed from wear and tear so likely have more power loss out of that too...