Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

GR (v11) 2009 STI Tuning and si-drive

Hi all,

Well, I havent been on here in a while, becuase I havent had a Sub in a while, but I recently bought a 2009 JDM STI.

Im just starting to look at tuning options and have a few questions that I dont quite seem to be able to get the answers to.

Ive found alot of articles and they all seem to have very differing opinions.

How does the SI-Drive work? Does it load 3 different maps on the ECU or is it just one map and the SI-Drive changes some "characteristics"

I really like the SI-Drive, its nice to put it in Intelligent mode and save some gas, while being able to switch to sport sharp and get fast throttle response and higher boost.

How is it affected by re-flashing the ECU?

Basically what Im trying to find out is that if I get it dynotuned do I need to get it done with 3 maps by someone who knows what they are doing with the SI-drive?

Also, previous Subarus Ive just got an ECU reflash, is the Cobb port worth it? The V3 looks pretty cool.

the Si drive only changes the sensitivty of the throttle sensor. if you push hard enough the performace is the same in all three settings.

at the end of the day it is only a switch and can be used to access different maps, just a shame that Subaru took the lazy option.

Awesome thanks! Im in Auckland, one thing though, please dont sugegst SpeedSource.

I had alot of work done on my last Sub and Kent is a wizard, but the people who work for him are incredibly unprofessional. Kent rarely works on non-race cars nowadays, so you end up with one of his monkeys.

I had quite a few issues with both the work they did and the work ethic of everyone at Speedsource, which is a real shame, becuase Kent himself is awesome with Subs.

lunchie said:

I would suggest going somewhere that knows their stuff with late model subies. The reflash will do some serious good for this.

Where do you live, I can recommend some good places

bleepsnbreaks']

Awesome thanks! Im in Auckland, one thing though, please dont sugegst SpeedSource.

I had alot of work done on my last Sub and Kent is a wizard, but the people who work for him are incredibly unprofessional. Kent rarely works on non-race cars nowadays, so you end up with one of his monkeys.

I had quite a few issues with both the work they did and the work ethic of everyone at Speedsource, which is a real shame, becuase Kent himself is awesome with Subs.

[quote name='lunchie said:

I would suggest going somewhere that knows their stuff with late model subies. The reflash will do some serious good for this.

Where do you live, I can recommend some good places

/quote]

Torque performance would be my first port of call

grim said:

the Si drive only changes the sensitivty of the throttle sensor. if you push hard enough the performace is the same in all three settings.

at the end of the day it is only a switch and can be used to access different maps, just a shame that Subaru took the lazy option.

Si-Drive is Stupid Drive - as it really isn\'t smart at all.

All it does is knobble the throttle response.

Fuel savings using Eco are illusory as you\'ll get better results by modulating that right pedal.

An STI should only have one setting - HARD OUT

;D

Re-flashing the motor ECU shouldn\'t affect the SI-D.

Best check with the local ECUTEK agents as they and MRT in Oz have mods that can turn the SI-D switch into a real multi-map controller.

In the Garage Section theres a v11 JDM and v12 Aus STi which have done Mods and ECU reflash.

There are settings in the ECU with regard to SI-Drive, but dont have the logs to see what it controls atm. But you only need to tune one map.

What other mods have you done?

At the moment nothing, but Im getting an x-force turbo back exaust and just replacing the panel filter with an apexi one.

Thats getting done in the next couple of weeks, just waiting for the exhaust to arrive.

Torque certainly look really professional and my boss has had s dyno done on his SRT8 Jeep by them.

They just dont answer emails or questions Ive asked them on thier facebook, which I think is a bit rude.

Only problem with EcuTek is then you are locked into only getting your car tunes by an EcuTek tuner as yoru ECU is locked up tight after the reflash, but then again, they do add more features that probably make it worth it.

Does anyone know what method Torwque uses on the ESC? I cant get them to answer me.

philr8 said:

Hi there

We have tuned the exact same car with the exact same mods

Apexi paper filter

Xforce turbo back exhaust

95 octane

14 psi boost

They are shocking in std form and are prone to knocking and piston ringland failure!

Phil

Dynotech Industries

[email protected]

http://www.dynotechindustries.co.nz/news/2008-wrx-sti-25l-turbo/48366

What was stopping it making more power?

95 octane and customer wanted low boost

Pink run was on 18 psi factory boost, as you can see it induces knock at around 5000rpm due to fuel quality

Solution

Turn boost down and remap

Gained 20kw and far better fuel economy!!