Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Needing some advice on 04 GT

tweedo

Hey all,

Needing some help before I go mad or have to take it to a pro.

Not long had my GT and noticed a few things that don\'t seem right to me.

For a start the idle isn\'t right. Coming up to intersection etc it\'ll drop right down to say 300 then up to 1000 then come right.

Also noticed its down on power coming onto boost in 3rd (not too bad), 4th and 5th. Seems to stutter a bit then might finally start pulling like it should but quite high up in the revs though.

I\'ve done a heap of reading and seems like it could be a number of different things but couldn\'t find much on this specific model, most was US model.

So if anyone could perhaps shed some light on issues that are specific to these cars for me to look at that\'d be awesome.

It\'s got about 90thou on the clock too if that makes much difference.

Cheers to all in advance.

has it had its 100k service ?

although it is only lat 90 it means everything on it is ten years old now .

if you give it plugs and all the filters /oils and cambelt , clean the maf etc it might wake it up . and you might notice anything else thats up while your at it

No 100k service yet going to wait til about 95k to do that. Keen to do that upper engine clean though which vacuum hose do I put it in through in these things?

Not sure about the leaks... Tried the whole carb cleaner spray test but nothing showed up though but some of the hoses are quite hard to get into though.

Only ever run 98 in it too.

Think the plugs sound like the go... Will start there and see how she goes!

tweedo said:

No 100k service yet going to wait til about 95k to do that. Keen to do that upper engine clean though which vacuum hose do I put it in through in these things?

Not sure about the leaks... Tried the whole carb cleaner spray test but nothing showed up though but some of the hoses are quite hard to get into though.

Only ever run 98 in it too.

Think the plugs sound like the go... Will start there and see how she goes!

Any vacuum hose will do, just follow instructions on the can. Plugs are a good start, harder to do than a normal 4cyl but still only spark plugs, make sure you gap them correctly too.

I don\'t think I\'d take it to the local dealer to do it but def won\'t be doing it myself haha

Is the one that comes off the BOV all good to put it in through? It looks like it leads into the centre of the intake manifold?

Are the MAF sensors prone to blowing out on this generation? Yas don\'t think it could possibly be that?

I\'ve just had it scanned and showed up clean so no known issues, just thought those things were prone to failure and not likely to throw a code til they\'re completely poked.

I didn\'t get an owners manual with the car so just double checking, the plugs are NGK ILFR6B, gapped to 0.8?

tweedo']

[quote name='Marky said:

Does it have a venty BOV on it?

/quote]

Na mate just got the factory one on it still, will most likely leave it that way too.

Why do you ask?

Is it an intercooler off job to get at all of the vacuum hoses running into the intake manifold too?

Oh well doesn\'t apply here, but stalling while coming to a stop I normally look at venty BOV\'s first as the extra vacuum of engine braking can make some of them leak a bit - then once stopped and the vacuum reduces, they seal up again so problem disappears and can\'t be found

No idea re vacuum hoses but plug gap if you go with .8mm you can rule it out being a problem in future. Closer gap can help an aging or poor ignition system along a bit - i normally gap anything turbo at that out of habit to be fair

subirex said:

if you in auckland, come and see me, ill sort you out.

I wish I was man cos I\'m not at all clued up when it comes to s*** like this haha but unfortunately I\'m at the other end of the country in good ol\' Dunedin.

Think I\'ll be a \'pay someone to do it\' kinda guy when it comes to the plugs too so I\'m sure wherever I take it will know correct gap for the plugs anyways.

Another thing I\'m curious about is that this thing apparently has had the 2nd cat removed ... what effect would this have on it if any?

tweedo']

[quote name='subirex said:

if you in auckland, come and see me, ill sort you out.

/quote]

I wish I was man cos I\'m not at all clued up when it comes to s*** like this haha but unfortunately I\'m at the other end of the country in good ol\' Dunedin.

Think I\'ll be a \'pay someone to do it\' kinda guy when it comes to the plugs too so I\'m sure wherever I take it will know correct gap for the plugs anyways.

Another thing I\'m curious about is that this thing apparently has had the 2nd cat removed ... what effect would this have on it if any?

Hey, Did you get this issue sorted? What was the cause resolution etc?

cheers

• 3 months later...

I had a similar issue. The MAF was showing up so replaced that and disconnected battery overnight but although that seemed to help while the air fuel relearned it did not go fix it. Did some more research and replaced the O2 sensor that fixed it but there are still some issues usually noticeable under load in 5th i still seems to miss. I think a good tune may fix this.