Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Advice on changing cars

Modern cars seem to wear kms much better than old ones, even subarus.

A friend of mine in Dunedin who runs a car yard regularly buys 300kms + cars that have a good service history esspecially the 2003-2009 shape legacys and has next to no issues with them, so NO I wouldn\'t consider 150kms on any car post 2003-2005 to be high enough to put me off, only thing to consider is that as soon as you hit 180kms most people start to get wary (imo without good reason) and as such the value of most cars will tank past 180kms.

Because of this I would consider how long you plan on owning the car and if getting $ back when you sell it is important, if so then maybe go for something with lower kms but if not then I wouldn\'t think twice about those kms for my own car

As far as the mechatronics unit goes that was from the mouth of a mate that works servicing them, dunno if he mistyped or just didn\'t know but as I said it is a potential issue but certainly not something to put you off, also tbh those DSG boxes are actually VERY reliable and I think the few failures HAVE been blown out of proportion as you said.

My mums one is a 2ltr GT, I have heard some terrible things about the 1.4 engines, one aussie journo compared it to the original twin turbo legacy torque hole issues. (the power drop between the 1st and 2nd turbo)

She just threw some really nice new continental tires on it and it is just mental through the corners. I followed a friend up along a twisty 1 way bit of road and he couldn\'t shake me in his 02 wrx (not sti) so I was impressed.

The fuel econ those golfs get is stupid good too lol

As soon as I pay off my short term debt I plan on picking up either a Mk V gti (edition 30 for the nicer s3 engine and turbo) or a V9 wrx hatch back.

Those Edition 30\'s are only a remap and catback away from 320hp, IN A GOLF LOL!!!!!

Yeah but you have to be seen in a european car lol

Even if the engines are serviced and really healthy you still have to take into consideration the condition of all the bushes etc, i\'d call you a liar if you told me no parts were worn out at over 300k

Roo said:

Yeah but you have to be seen in a european car lol

Even if the engines are serviced and really healthy you still have to take into consideration the condition of all the bushes etc, i\'d call you a liar if you told me no parts were worn out at over 300k

Bwahaha

Love that tartan interior (Without trying to be offensive, to me a golf owner has to fit a certain demographic which rhymes with bipster - much like how people see subaru owners all backwards cap wearing etc)

In context damn near any turbo hatch/go-fast thing of recent years will make good power with simple touches, and looks are an entirely subjective thing - cant stress enough the whole "drive everything you can" point.

Hell here\'s something completely left field if you wanted http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/lexus/auction-657743855.htm

So so many options haha

Roo said:

Try test drive one of those new SSS turbo pulsars too, think they\'re well priced iirc and sounds like there\'s been some success with them already

One of few late model cars I would own tbh

Are you joking ?

The new SSS with 140kW, CVT gearbox and OAP looks doesn\'t sound like a performance car.

The VW 1.4 twin charge is actually a pretty good motor, nothing like a TT legacy.

:D

320bhp in a FWD Golf is mental !

Don\'t even think of it without uprated suspension, brakes, front LSD etc.

;D

newsuba']

[quote name='Roo said:

Try test drive one of those new SSS turbo pulsars too, think they\'re well priced iirc and sounds like there\'s been some success with them already

One of few late model cars I would own tbh

/quote]

Are you joking ?

The new SSS with 140kW, CVT gearbox and OAP looks doesn\'t sound like a performance car.

The VW 1.4 twin charge is actually a pretty good motor, nothing like a TT legacy.

:D

320bhp in a FWD Golf is mental !

Don\'t even think of it without uprated suspension, brakes, front LSD etc.

;D

haha yeah, just what the motoring mag said about the 1.4, never driven one myself.

Yeah problem is the mazda MPS spins up crazy even with an LSD and only 270hp lol.

Anyway, I hope the author finds something cool to buy

one of my mates bought one of the Mk.V 32\'s, as soon as that exhaust flap opens up it sounds amazingly raw.

My last car was a Mk.IV GTI, great car but had some serious envy for those R32 bumpers and Konig seats, they look amazing.