Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

High Pressure in Coolant system

sti555

I noticed in the last 2 weeks my coolant pressure builds up pretty quick from header tank.when i turn car on it takes about 2 mins before it starts pushing coolant out of the header tank with cap off and after a 30min driving i lose about 200ml of coolant from header tank and it fills the overflow tank..am getting cooling system pressure tested and a test for exhaust gases in coolant on monday but just want to know if anyones had this issue before

-car does not overheat and fans cycle

-brand new radiator cap

could these systems be from a blockage in the coolant system from a bad hose or a air bubble in the cooling system after changing coolant hoses..pretty sure its not the head gasket as these symptoms happened after replacing coolant hoses and no coolant in oil or vice versa

cheers

Had this problem on a GTB and it was the hoses from the top tank were around the wrong way (One goes back to rad from top tank and one goes from cap to overflow bottle) if you\'ve taken them off its very easy to put them back wrong, so the cooling system cant pressurize properly.

But if there right then to me sounds like a blown HG sorry mate.

lol i did put them on the wrong way at one point in time but fixed that but thanks anyways,im pretty sure it aint the head gasket as no over heating or water in oil or vice versa.i just drained the coolant system and bleed it,if i dont top my header tank up to the top and fill it half way it wont push any into the overflow tank no matter how long i drive it.fingers crossed it was just a airlock in the system

i filled the coolant system with water then went for 30min drive.then put 2 liters anti freeze coolant in and went for another 30min drive..and now the water in the overflow tank is just water with slight brown after flushing system and no green..i dont think my coolant system in circulating right there should be green in there.checked bottom radiator hose and is hot so dont think its the stat.

thinking of doing head gaskets for peace of mind but highly doubt heads are cracked as temp doesn\'t go over 90C then fans bring it down to 79C.car would have to be over heating to crack the heads from what i understand

can anyone recommend a shop for head gasket/cambelt job in Auckland that doesn\'t charge the world.got 3 quotes already and there\'s a $700 difference between the 3 and are all doing exactly same job and are respected shops

boon']

[quote name='sti555 said:

did a tk test a the dye changed colour after 5mins of running.just gona try some k seal before i get head gasket done,fingers crossed :D

/quote]

Don\'t half arse it, the gasket is fucked, put a new one in it.

haha i dont have money growing out of my ears like some people.im just going to use k seal till i figure out what im doing with the car.no point doing the head gasket if im going to forge the engine or drop a v7 sti block in