Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Leaking Coolant BG5 Help waned Nth Shore

Hey guys,

short story is I have a 2L TSR second gen legacy.

Drove it yesterday morning and within 10 mins notice the temps up and manage to get home without it getting too hot.

Had to refill the entire radiator with water to check for a leak, and unfortunately I could eventually see a tiny bit of steam/water coming out the exhaust.

The coolant isn\'t bubbling yet when it\'s running, and it\'s not missing at all.

Just want to confirm this is 99% likely to be a head gasket? And that there aren\'t any obvious ways for it to leak at any other point in the system?

Had the cambelt done last year, so will likely try and get this fixed. It\'s something I\'d feel I could replace myslef, just don\'t know anyone with an engine hoist/would prefer to pay someone to help for a day to make sure it\'s all good.

cheers guys :)

Cheers Joker, It just doesn\'t seem to be doing anything you\'d expect a Head Gasket to be if it was that, other than the coolant leaking with it appearing out the exhaust. I\'ll have a look at the crossover pipe, presumably I could tell straight away if it was this?

cheers

Just a thought - anyone fiddled with your idle air solenoid? I pulled mine off to clean it and the gasket inside, if not replaced can pump water in to the manifold because it has a water jacket to warm it all up...just a thought (BE5 B4)

B4_685 via Tapatalk HD

So your radiator has been leaking for a while unnoticed, just this day it had finally leaked enough to cause an over heat. The oil in your water may have already been there but has only just been noticed because you drained it or filled it from scratch loosening the scum off the bottom maybe. So a new radiator and a good engine/heater coolant flush. If it didn\'t get too hot your head gasket may be fine.

Or your thermostat finally gave up and seized that morning causing the overheat that popped the radiator hole. So either way a new radiator and thermostat.

Or maybe a blocked heater core? Probably wouldn\'t happen overnight.

Because the radiator blew a hole (weakest link) the chances are your HG is mint. Fingers crossed.

Edit: The steam out your exhaust is probably just condensation build up?

Cheers man, yea, I think its the thermostat thats gone and the radiators got a leak as a result. The heater isn\'t warm at all, but speaking to my neighbor last night who\'s a mechanic he\'s going to come round tonight and run some tests on it. Be awesome if it\'s something simple

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP - Ok guys, really need help now! :)

So, car runs mint, oil is perfect AND it flew through a TK test.

Symptoms are; burning coolant and it\'s eventually coming out the exhaust, but it\'s not missing or bubbling out the radiator?

I think its the Head Gaskets, but how can I know for sure? If i get under the engine, when I turn it off I can hear it kind off \'breathing\' like air is being sucked into the system...

Any thoughts?

Please :)

Cheers Guys, JoKer I\'m on the north shore.

Yea, going to check the plugs tonight, and try get a compression test done.

Is it normal/possible to pass the TK if it is a blown HG? My understanding would be, if it\'s the HG then cylinder fumes have to enter the coolant system and therefore fail the test?

boon said:

On a non-turbo car there is only one place that water can enter the exhaust, and thats via the buggered head gasket.

Or crack in the head on an exhaust port ( seen it in a non SUbaru) crack in a cylinder, if you are loosing water into the exhaust and it does not show up in a TK test and there is no bubbling then I would look at a cracked head

I had an old civic which did exactly that, well it was on the intake side somewhere so also showed itself with a misfire over time too... but anyway, was a fault which changed in intensity with how hot or cold the motor was too

HG was mint