Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Alloy wheel nuts

Lionbrown0

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, i cant seem to find anything in the VIRM about alloy wheel nuts?

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof/general/tyres,-wheels-and-hubs/tyres-and-wheels

I also cant see anything on the LVVTA site, other than a statement in a newsletter

http://www.nzfwda.org.nz/?module=uploads&func=download&fileId=101 (Page 8 )

Occasionally LVVTA has it reported by LVV Certifiers that vehicle owners are turning up for LVV certification with aftermarket wheels fitted, which are attached with alumini- um wheel nuts. LVVTA emphasises that due to an inherent lack of tensile strength in commonly-available aluminium compared to high tensile steel, aluminium wheel nuts must never be used.

Does a statement in a newsletter make it law?

evowrx said:

Old news and accurate.

Thats what my wof boy said when I asked him. I dont have alloy nuts just asked the q. On the site it says - incorrect type? So not definite there.

http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof/general/tyres,-wheels-and-hubs/tyres-and-wheels

Also dont know if its new or not but talking to the cert chap up here he said its all good now to revin with same plates/tags if you can come up with some original paperwork identifying that it is the dereg\'d car.

Wheel nut "type" would refer to the likes of if its tapered or ball/radius etc, would it not?

Unless there is something specifically in the WOF VIRM stating that you cannot use alloy wheel nuts, then i cant see how it can be illegal. Even the fact that the only reference to it in the LVVTA is in a newsletter makes me question the legality of them failing anyone for it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • General Member
 evowrx said:

22. A wheel nut is:

a) missing, or

b) loose, or

c) has deteriorated, or

d) is of the incorrect type, or

e) has insufficient thread engagement to the wheel stud.

this bit may be relevant : but it doesn\'t go on to say what types are ok

bit of a dead end, but wof guys are usually right and you\'ll have a hard fight proving them wrong

evowrx']

Old news and accurate.

Thats what my wof boy said when I asked him. I dont have alloy nuts just asked the q. On the site it says - incorrect type? So not definite there.

Also dont know if its new or not but talking to the cert chap up here he said its all good now to revin with same plates/tags if you can come up with some original paperwork identifying that it is the dereg\'d car.

[quote name='evowrx said:

22. A wheel nut is:

a) missing, or

b) loose, or

c) has deteriorated, or

d) is of the incorrect type, or

e) has insufficient thread engagement to the wheel stud.

this bit may be relevant : but it doesn\'t go on to say what types are ok

bit of a dead end

Read the whole thread. Getting common to post without reading it seems.

The virm is a guideline based on the regulations, so if you are looking at something using the guideline and you have further questions then you dig deeper into the actual regulation.

I could find out about the use of alloy nuts by going thru the regulations but I cant be bothered.

when it comes down to it I would not use alloy nuts on a road car, they are not as strong as steel, you can get "pretty" steel ones and the weight saving would be negligible