Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Pre tune purchases.

AdamOst

So I bought a PFC ecu which ill eventually get dyno tuned, what other things should i buy to make the most fo a basic tune. Currently have 2.5in turbo back exhaust with an otherwise stock engined v6 STI. Ill look at upgrading the fuel pump? and the tuner said the intake will outflow the turbo so that doesn\'t need changing, is there anything else I should look at. Does the normal PFC do the boost control or do I need to buy an aftermarket EBC? They seem to think I dont need one but ive read mixed answers. Aiming around the 200kw mark I guess. Ill also put new oil/filter etc through as well.

If the tuna is happy to say its not needed then dont waste your $$

Ive seen countless examples of people spending several hundred $ on a standalone boost controller with 0 benefits over what their ecu of choice can do already

End of the day all it needs to do is pulse a solenoid at a certain rate, and it will raise your boost. (Ive used the aux injector output on an e-manage to do this and it worked perfect, for example)

I have mapped more Power FCs than I can remember and can confirm that the Power FC ECU can control boost without the boost control kit if configured correctly. However on v1-2 applications this limits boost to 1.1 bar. Higher boost control can be obtained by fitting the boost control kit on v1-2 applications. All the boost control kit comprises is a 3 bar map sensor and a 3 port boost solenoid.

On V3 applications and above the Power FC ECU can also control boost without the boost control kit up to 1.6 bar.

The only limitation of Power FC ECU is that it cannot provide 3D boost control such as the factory ECU can with an ESL board fitted for example. This means that you cannot set boost level per rpm and end up with a flat boost profile. Therefore you cannot taper boost levels with rpm which limits your ability to obtain optimal efficiency from the turbo at high rpms. However most EBCs are also unable to do this except for the likes of the Apexi AVCR in any case.

In all honesty, I\'m not sure what it was

Car was owned by elderly gentleman and in near stock form.

Looking back at our notes It was a 1999 wrx ra vltd

Phil

evowrx']

[quote name='philr8 said:

Just fuel pump, catback exhaust and panel filter

Regards

Phil

Dynotech industries

/quote]

TD04?

It would have been interesting to see the IAM and learned fine ignition correction on the stock ECU before it was removed. Running 18 psi boost and on the OEM ignition map it must have been pulling some timing. No wonder there was a significant increase in output.

Looks like you have a boost spike from looking at the torque curve post mapping?

As with all our Subaru mapping we run the car as it arrives to us. We then reset Ecu and get iam to 16 or 1 and carry out our base line reading.

No timing was pulled and iam was at 16

The Dynapack is super sensitive and can pick up a dip in power even if we switch the headlights on!

The boost peaked at 16.3psi via a MBC

You see everything with the dynapack, nothing is masked or hiding like it is with inaccurate road dyno software, variable roads, conditions, airflow etc

I posted only to show OP that good gains are to be had with a PFC

More than happy to discuss mapping techniques via pm with you or others

Regards

Dynotech industries