Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Genuine STI or not?

Ben

For loner and Roo yes its a copy.... sue me.... and for johnnynz I posted because of the "rebuilt with foz suspension" and "its too high" comments, people have forgotten what a stock car looks like.

I drive a GTBL with the stock blisteins and my ride hight is 160mm ground clearance and 335mm from hub center to guard (vert) and to me this feels too low.... anyhoo im not trying to start anything just saying remember the heritage of the cars you drive....

HI all,

Thanks for the flurry of information. The more help I can get the better with this one!

Ride height is a easy fix not too fussed about that, more concerned the engine is a legitimate STI engine.

I called LTSA and they confirmed the car was NOT a insurance right off and the rego had just lapsed at some stage.

Ben said:

HI all,

Thanks for the flurry of information. The more help I can get the better with this one!

Ride height is a easy fix not too fussed about that, more concerned the engine is a legitimate STI engine.

I called LTSA and they confirmed the car was NOT a insurance right off and the rego had just lapsed at some stage.

Test drive will tell you if it\'s an STi engine ;)

Good that it\'s not been written off at least.

• General Member
 WingnuMcSpanners said:

For loner and Roo yes its a copy.... sue me.... and for johnnynz I posted because of the "rebuilt with foz suspension" and "its too high" comments, people have forgotten what a stock car looks like.

I drive a GTBL with the stock blisteins and my ride hight is 160mm ground clearance and 335mm from hub center to guard (vert) and to me this feels too low.... anyhoo im not trying to start anything just saying remember the heritage of the cars you drive....

No one has forgot stock height, Loren even posted a pic of 3 at stock height on page 1...

No worrys mate, as far as the block goes there is not much difference between a std block and a STI "tuned" short block,

if memory serves only real differences are; head gaskets, pistons, wrist pins and some later models have a billet crank vs the forged equiv. both however have a more refined balancing than stock.

Most of the STI goodies are bolt on ancillaries, I mean in terms of comparison there is only 1 difference between the man. gearbox and short block of my non-STI GTBL and that beast..... the wrist pins.

Hope I helped a little tis a nice car and a fair price too...

loner']

[quote name='Ben said:

HI all,

/quote]

Test drive will tell you if it\'s an STi engine ;)

Good that it\'s not been written off at least.

Yeah thats what im thinking. My last Subaru I owned was a V7 WRX, not the STI model. I have not been in a STI for roughly 3 years but I\'m hoping for a bit more poke compared to the V7 anyhow.

My 2c is that I wouldn\'t bother with that particular car. From the pictures it looks fairly battered about, and everything from the doors forwards doesn\'t quite line up (along with the door and wing being different shades in pic 3)

That mixed with the fact its riding on forester or GD suspension (that is NOT standard ride height) makes me suspicious.

Also when it comes to buying cars, I always tend to look at the wheels and tyres. A car that has curbed wheels running on mismatched cheap brand tyres like this car (yellow sea tyres, total performance bro!) indicates to me that the owner doesn\'t over care about the car. If they can\'t be bothered spending money on the only thing that holds them on the road, they can\'t care too much about making sure the car is serviced properly.

It might be fine, but go over it with a fine tooth comb before you put down any money.

Also the STi motors have different heads, with more aggressive cams etc.

Thanks for seeing the door shade being a different colour !

I did notice this but wasn\'t too sure if it was just angle/being parked on grass.

What other flaws did you notice - I could see a small dent on the drivers fender but other than this and Possibily the door I thought it was fairly straight .

I also noted the tyres

I plan on driving up to see the car on 4th so will see what that brings.

What is the value ? Given its about to need rego, warrant and cambelt

Just rap the panels with yo knuckles see if it there is any fill. Personally I think its worth more than 6 given its a V5 sti so bigger brakes/VF2* etc. Timing is $600 odd for genuine parts and do it in your garage then reg/wof so plan on 1g + tyres if you change them. Timing and struts are the only things additional - reg/wof/tyres are maintenance on any car imo.

Cheap struts from subaruspeed under $200.

But if its been bumholed walk away.