Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Flooded engine wont start. running out of ideas

whatshouldiget?

Hey again guys. Car is starting to really F**K me off lol.

I changed the manifold to an sti one and also installed some yellows. all went well. straight swap with no dramas.

I\'m having trouble starting the car now. Been at it for the last 3 days. Engine is showing signs of being flooded but i\'m not 100% sure.

First time i went to start it after everything was back together i forgot to plug the camshaft sensor back in lol so that\'s what properly caused the flooding.

so took plugs out cleaned them and let them dry overnight. next day cranked motor a few times to get rid of the fuel in the block. installed plugs back in hoping it would fire up but no go. just keeps turning over and over and occasionally some "puff" from the exhaust and also some air venting from the air filter. so again took plugs out to find that they are covered in fuel so i repeated the process with no luck getting it started. I\'ve tried accelerator to the floor while cranking as well. I was going to go buy some new plugs but I\'ve got two sets of platinum\'s which are only about 10k old so I\'ve been trying them.

Any ideas of what i should try next? i wanted to pull the fuel pump relay out today and try cranking it over but couldn\'t find the relay.

any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the leads in the right order?

Maybe the injector o-rings are leaking?

Funny, I have a mate and he has greys when it\'s supposed to have yellows and he had the same issue when he changed to yellows and went back to greys in the end

insert type v5/6. Yeah that\'s what is confusing cause the car ran fine with the greys when it\'s suppose to be running yellows. cars only running wastegate pressure atm, im assuming due to the greys that\'s why i wanted to install yellows so i could run factory boost. Would the leads in the wrong order stop it from firing up?

Couple of things, firstly, if you crank it over with the cam or crank sensor unplugged the ECU doesn\'t inject any fuel at all. But I\'m not sure if you had it unplugged or not installed entirely?

I\'d be looking at leaking injector seals in that case.

Secondly, if it was running fine with greys, then what testing did you do to ensure that you needed to run yellows? If the ECU is supposed to be running greys (sticker on the case is not a reliable way of telling either as they\'re really swappable) then you\'ll be over fueling by quite a lot and just wasting fuel while washing the bores.

All v5/6 ecu run yellows. Try swapping greys in and see if it starts. Because youre getting fuel the cam sensor and injector plug are correct now so can eliminate that. If it starts and runs with greys take it to a dyno and check afr at factory boost.

If its pissing fuel out past the injector seals after swapping them around then it\'ll still be getting fuel into the cylinders. Just un-metered, bucket loads of fuel.

I\'m confused too. If its v5/6, how do grey injectors end up in the fuel rails? I thought they only went up to v4?

As above. so im probably over fueling with the yellows. I bought new plugs today but still no luck of getting it started. just more puffing out the exhaust. It sounds like there is air being released some where after a few cranks but im not entirely sure where. Is that normal? could it be that the injector seals are damaged and there is pressure leaking causing it not to start? either way im going to have to pull injectors out again to try the greys or check the seals. how can i tell whether or not the ecu is a genuine j2? If i pull it out, open it up and take a pic will you guys be able to tell? It should be though cause from what i gather, the earlier model ecu\'s dont fit the v5/6 loom.

whatshouldiget? said:

As above. so im probably over fueling with the yellows. I bought new plugs today but still no luck of getting it started. just more puffing out the exhaust. It sounds like there is air being released some where after a few cranks but im not entirely sure where. Is that normal? could it be that the injector seals are damaged and there is pressure leaking causing it not to start? either way im going to have to pull injectors out again to try the greys or check the seals. how can i tell whether or not the ecu is a genuine j2? If i pull it out, open it up and take a pic will you guys be able to tell? It should be though cause from what i gather, the earlier model ecu\'s dont fit the v5/6 loom.

So I take it you have changed the engine?

You say you are getting fuel as can smell it on plugs and you are popping/farting out intake?

First check that you got spark easy with wasted set up pull plug lead off one head bang a plug in it and earth it out whilst cranking you will see it sparking.

Secondly normally if injectors fail to seal you hydrulic engine has it is unmetered under pump pressure.

Thirdly if you have fitted another engine check Cambelt timing as if out by more than 3 teeth will give you this problem to as ecu is out of sync

yeah coil pack is upside down but their are numbers on it so ive run leads from cylinder one to number one on the coil pack etc. There is no cel. Pretty sure there is no vac leak cause i put everything back on that came off. Map sensor is plugged in, afm is plugged in, everything is plugged in. Yeah battery died during my mission today lol but i hooked it up to the bmw and the cranks suddenly had more life in them but still no start. As evo wrx said, Car was purchased as is. all i did was replace the wrx manifold and P1 grey injectors with a v3 sti manifold and yellows that came with. I inspected the seals prior to installing them and they were good. ran completely fine with the wrx mani and greys but was running wastegate pressure. Want to run factory boost and figured the greys were the reason it was running only 8psi. Car is popping/farting out the exhaust when im cranking it, not the intake. A slight psssh noise like its releasing pressure is coming from the bay some where. i suspect it to be intake.

Thank you to everyone that has chimed it to help me, especially evowrx. really appreciate it!!