Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Airbag Light on!

ARGHAYE

Hi all

The air bag light is on in my BG5 gtb. im trying to get the flasher codes to come out of it but i seem to be missing something. does anyone know the plug/procedure to make this happen? just want to make sure its not something simple before i take it to my auto sparky mate =)

cheers

Richard

ARGHAYE said:

Hi all

The air bag light is on in my BG5 gtb. im trying to get the flasher codes to come out of it but i seem to be missing something. does anyone know the plug/procedure to make this happen? just want to make sure its not something simple before i take it to my auto sparky mate =)

cheers

Richard

Probably just a Dirty Wheel Sensor. Can be fixed by spraying the Back of your Rotors with Brake Cleaner, the Sensor works of the Notches on the Rotor. Rusty Notches, or dirty Sensors stop them working.

For the best job, remove Callipers and Rotors, then give the Rotor a good Brush up.

Rosssub']

[quote name='ARGHAYE said:

Hi all

cheers

Richard

/quote]

Probably just a Dirty Wheel Sensor. Can be fixed by spraying the Back of your Rotors with Brake Cleaner, the Sensor works of the Notches on the Rotor. Rusty Notches, or dirty Sensors stop them working.

For the best job, remove Callipers and Rotors, then give the Rotor a good Brush up.

Air bag light not abs :P

Right then, LOL. Do BG have Seatbelt Sensors etc, under the front seats?

Check your Seat Belt Sensor Wiring, Loom Plugs etc under the Front Seats. A loose or Broken Wire trips the ABS Light. Most likely if a Seats been adjusted recently?

I.E. Passenger Air Bag only active when Passenger Seatbelt Engaged.

Yeah it\'s a lot of guesswork without a diagnostic scanner but try this

>disconnect battery and wait 20min

>unbolt both front seats

>plug and unplug plugs a few times each side

>reassemble

As ross said the wiring under the seat is the usual culprit. Mainly the pretensioner circuit.

Easily identifiable as air bag associated wiring has yellow plugs and yellow sheathing

Roo']

Yeah it\'s a lot of guesswork without a diagnostic scanner but try this

>disconnect battery and wait 20min

>unbolt both front seats

>plug and unplug plugs a few times each side

>reassemble

As ross said the wiring under the seat is the usual culprit. Mainly the pretensioner circuit.

Easily identifiable as air bag associated wiring has yellow plugs and yellow sheathing

i think it must have logged a code during the single turbo conversion when i swapped steering columns, hopefully just needs to just be reset with scantool

If you put the Front Seats right Back, during the Steering Column Swap. Chances are it is just one of the Plug/Wires, under the Front Seat. Stretched beyond it\'s normal range.

Even just reach under and wiggle the Plugs a bit. The Seats only need 4 Bolts removed to come out/Roll Over for inspection.

firstly, if it has SRS airbags then it must have a light ( will not pass WOF without it) so removing the bulb is nogo

secondly, in my experience 9 times out of 10 it is the clock spring ( unless it is a commodore then it is the controller under the centre console)

You have changed the column, did the light come on straight after this change ? is the airbag in the new column/steering wheel the same as the one that came out of it( the airbag ecu will be looking for a specific resistance and it may not be the same with a different airbag)

Rosssub']

went to auto sparky today, easy reset with scantool! must have just been from having clockspring disconnected during swap..

/quote]

Nice. ;D

Was you Battery connected while doing your Steering Column?

that would do it. you should remove the battery power for a prescribed amount of time before working on airbag systems for safety reasons. also if airbag connectors etc are disconnected and reconnected while un-powered, no fault codes will be triggered

Rosssub said:

It\'s the \'Prescribed amount of Time\' for Memory Drain, that makes me think disconnecting the Battery for half an hour could do it?

Providing the Initial Fault was fixed? :-\

sorry i don\'t follow

the prescribed time is set out in the manufacturer\'s manual. i don\'t want to quote because i don\'t know the suby specified time off the top of my head. we are talking minutes though

i am assuming no actual fault. just that things where swapped over while power was still active which triggers a fault code in the airbag ecu - which can only be reset by scantool. this has happened, the ecu is now happy. horrah!

I mean disconnecting the Battery, to Drain all ECU/Air Bag ECU Memory. Same way you can reset the Engines ECU/CELs etc.

The Fault (clock spring), was fixed. So Draining Memory Voltage, wipes the Fault? No Scan needed for reset?