Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

96 250t replacement stereo wiring?

SuperSub

Firstly Im a bit of a noob with installing stereos, only done it twice before. So go easy on my silly questions :-)

Im planning to install a cheapy Sony MP3 head unit to replace the radio/cd/cassette unit in my 250t.

Im wondering if there is a how to anywhere on how to install? I presume its as simple as removing the console fascia around the unit and putting the new one in with a loom? If so where would I get a loom from and how do I know which one I need? Is there a wiring diagram anywhere in case I have to hardwire it?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SuperSub said:

Brilliant, thanks for that. Any idea where the screws are to remove the panels, its one of the fake wood grain ones.

The looms are probably about $30?

never removed one in a legacy.

Can\'t imagine it would be to different from an impreza.

Get a trim removal tool (plastic) or you can hori it and use a screw driver. Wedge it between the face panel and side bit. Then lever towards you. It should pop the clips out.

Once you have it off there should be 4 or 6 screw holding the stereo/tray in place.

Yeah there are 2x screws to take out in the ashtray compartment and you might need to take out the cup holder as well. I always take out the screws in the centre compartment between the front seats and take the hand brake surround and then the gear lever surround off to get easier access to the screws in the ashtray bit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

agghhh, that might make it easier, im gonna have to find them by trial and error i guess.

thanks for the help guys, im a bit nervous as last time i had an import radio i couldnt get a loom to fit it. but if its a common loom maybe repco etc might have one.

if its anything like my old bg legacy

the easiest way was to remove the whole center console

two screws under the center tray lid thing,

i had a hi lo gbox so unscrewed that

unscrew gearknob

they the back part of center console lifts out,

then the gearstick part

then theres two screws which the gearstick plastic part covers

and two under the cup holder, slide it out then get a stubby screw driver or something to undo them

i heard you can get the bottom screws without taking out center console but its not hard to remove anyway

those are the hidden screws

then the radio bracket ones are pretty obvious

that sounds like major surgery :-)

do i need to worry about power to the aerial so it still goes up and down when the head unit power is turned on and off?

where would i buy a single din tray from, jaycar or would repco stock them?

got it apart. aside from the 2 screws quite far back holding the metal tray in, didnt have a phillips long enough to reach it. dropped one of the screws down inside the carpet on the side of the gearbox well, frustrating. dont think ill ever get it out lols.

why wont it provide enough power do you think? i mean a usb powered HDD, not a 3.5" one that u use with a power supply. i think there maybe an aux in under that usb cable cover too, but ill go have a look and confirm. more than likely it will be a usb stick or our windows phones anyway.

ok got the stereo, it has an aux in(even comes with a cable) under the USB slot, its a prewired loom coming out the back of the sony, can i not just join those wires to the correct wires in the existing japanese stereo loom? if so is there a wiring diagram around?