Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

96 250t replacement stereo wiring?

SuperSub

When I did mine I just got the subaru end adaptor, chopped the 2 other bits off and connected the stereo loom to it. All of the wires on the adaptor were labelled making it even easier. I figured it was easier to solder to the adapter than try and poke around inside the centre console and frying other wires by accident.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok the way i understand it.

you have the wires from the car and speakers etc, into a loom, then the male loom from the original stereo fits into that.

i was planning to connect the wires from the male stereo loom to the wires on the sony loom so it plus straight into the sony loom.

i would have thought the original stereo loom would be different to the sony one?

To do it your way, but with only half the price of that loom, then only get the Subaru half. That way you can keep the car-side wiring plugs intact, chop the brown plugs off and connect the wiring to your new stereo\'s loom, using either bullet connectors. or a "chocolate block" (which would probably be cheaper).

Don\'t be rangi with twisting and taping. Or even better.. solder them together.

I do this with any headunit I ever install.

i guess it could pay just to pay for the looms as one day i might wanna chuck the old stereo back in when i sell the car?

plus i dont have a good wiring diagram to know which wires from the sony head unit go to what on the existing loom.

why do i need a subaru loom, thats the bit i dont get, isnt the exisiting radio loom in the car already a subaru loom?

There are 2 parts - The car side and the headunit side. There are brown plugs in the middle which match everything up. Since your headunit wiring will not have the right plugs on to match the car-side adaptor that you will buy, you will just need to chop the brown plugs off and connect the wiring using connectors.

If you browse some of the threads inside the ICE section, you will find what colours are what. If there\'s something you can\'t find, then I\'m pretty sure it will be somewhere, or I can find it, having done many stereo installs in subarus over the years. All the wiring colours I\'ve encountered are the same (impreza, legacy, from 1994 to 2002).

The car side I dont really want to chop as I may want to put the original back when im finished, so I could chop the original radio side and wire that to the sony wires (with its plug that goes into the head unit)?

Ok managed to get the old head unit unbolted, damn those ones further in are a bit painful without a magnetic screw drive head haha.

Anyway its a Clarion model.

So I see there is only one loom in there. So what I need is a look that matches it so I can wire that male loom to my sony loom?

I dont know why I need 2 extra looms, looks like I just need one, one to fit onto the current adapter so I can wire my sony to it?

I also noticed on the back of the head unit it had another female input, was round and about 9 holes. Not sure what that is.

Also the damn aerial is hardwired into the clarion, what the, to do?

Thanks for the help, I know Im a bit slow understanding this stuff.

Stereo needs constant, ign and ground

Speakers are 8 wires in matching colours

Clip clip cip - join join join

Keep the old head unit plug just in case if you want to redo it back to stock, which is again just clip clip join join and walk awaaaay

Or just go to repco and buy the subaru to sony adaptor, plug play and enjoy

Aerial might be a pain mind you

guy at repco said i needed 2 adaptors, he confused the FROCK out of me.

yeah the aerial has me perplexed, i think it even had 2 aerial wires going in. oh yeah and i also need power source for power aerial.

who cares, the net isnt about being policed by control freaks its about finding and sharing information, right?

thanks dakta, thats the route i might take, just the double aerial (male and female, which i believe is just to get extra boost) is an issue and its a non standard length so will need an extended made job to reach.

im thinking it easier now to modify the clarion to accept an aux.

You will only need to get one loom adaptor, if the new Sony headunit comes with it\'s own, which I\'m assuming it does. You will then chop off the brown plugs of the loom adaptor you buy, and then you will have all the wires to connect to your Sony\'s loom.

Can\'t get any simpler than that really. No need to buy a second loom adaptor to replace what you already have.

And with the aerial... pull out the trims from the passenger footwell so you can get under the carpet. You may just find the aerial wires tucked down under there, out of the way.

thats what i had thought scooby, thanks for getting me back on track. i now realise what the guy meant was 2 iso looms.

as for the aerial, i think you are right. im not sure how im going to get one long enough for the new radio, i guess make one up, that plugs into the plugs near the passenger side.

If it\'s as I\'m thinking.. the aerial wire will be long enough to reach where it has to reach... it will just be tucked down under the carpet as it\'s not being used. Have a dig and if it\'s there, it will be long enough, I\'m 95% certain of it.

Thanks scoob. You mean on the passengers side inside the carpet in the centre console unit?

What is the tidiest method to use to connect my sony HU wires to the loom wires? i was just going to leccy tape them, but that often comes apart over time.