Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Rosssub's Single Turbo Conversion.

Rosssub

I was going to drill new 1.5mm holes for the high and low mark, then dremel the max hot/overfill notch.

P/N 11140AA120 Standard dipstick

P/N 11140AA150 T/S dipstick

P/N 15144AA011 Tube (identical)

Picture009.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Edited by Rosssub

I was originally thinking I would reshape the original VF27 turbo bracket, for the VF36. But after a trial fit I think I'll just find an original twin scroll bracket.

Here's a single scroll WRX bracket fitted:

Brackets_001.jpg

The twin scroll flange sits 30mm lower:

Brackets_002.jpg

My original VF27 bracket fitted:

Brackets_003.jpg

Even bigger height difference:

Brackets_005.jpg

Also both look much heavier than the twin scroll bracket:

VF36/VF37 Turbo Bracket, OEM p/n 14421AA091:

$T2eC16ZHJIIE9qTYLTEpBRpy7QbNeQ~~60_12.J

$T2eC16FHJGYFFkknK5QQBRpy5sr6Qw~~60_12.J

Manifold trial fit, checking pipes, clearances etc:

Parts_001.jpg

Original BH engine loom cleaned, checked and re-taped:

New_engine_disassembly_003.jpg

Loom installed, I've relocated my purge control solenoid into the BBOD, (instead of front of manifold).:

Loom_on_manifold_on_002.jpg

Manifold on:

Loom_on_manifold_on_003.jpg

Loom_on_manifold_on_004.jpg

The version 7 GDB/GDB manifold/header tank mounting point, is 20mm higher than the BH/V5/V6 header tank. So the GDB header tank hoses I'm using were almost kinked when installed. So I've painted some 10mm spacers (big nuts) to raise the GDB header tank slightly when on the BH manifold, then used longer bolts. The 32mm stainless pipe bend is for my BOV recirc:

TMIC_and_header_tank_on_001.jpg

GDB header tank/GDB bottom hose installed, with 10mm spacers fitted:

TMIC_and_header_tank_on_006.jpg

Top V7 header tank hose in. Original BH drivers side TMIC mounting bracket back in:

TMIC_and_header_tank_on_007.jpg

32mm stainless bend, painted and fitted into my original BH TT BOV recirc hose:

TMIC_and_header_tank_on_003.jpg

TMIC back in:

TMIC_and_header_tank_on_008.jpg

TMIC_and_header_tank_on_011.jpg

BOV recirc now ready for a straight length of hose to the new version 6 intake pipe:

TMIC_and_header_tank_on_010.jpg

Now I just need a turbo mounting bracket and a few lengths of black silicone/rubber hose, for the BOV recirc and engine breather pipes/catch can:

TMIC_on_001.jpg

94 Leone said:
So, you're not going split fuel rail with this manifold/side feeds?

Nah, will do it when the version 7 manifold/baby blues go in. I couldn't warrant the extra expense just for engine break in, (temporary measures). I've got 2 sets of version 7 fuel rails/lines here ready to go.

I've ordered a new dipstick from Subaru, $29+gst. With a 7-10 day wait coming from Japan. I'll put measurements up when it arrives. I set the engine breathers up yesterday, just using 1/2" Dayco heater hose from BNT for now.

Right bank head breather running over the turbo inlet, then straight across the back of the manifold to a T-junction at the other side:

Breathers_in_001.jpg

I finally got around to blocking off my PCV valve properly, with a 1/2"npt bung from hose & hydraulics:

PCV_blocked_002.jpg

With the PCV blocked off, I've run my main block breather vertically straight into the intake. I will Tee the smaller block breather into the head breather hose above it, just need another T-junction:

Breathers_in_001a.jpg

I've reused half of an original BH head breather hose on the left head, running to the T-junction just inside the manifold runner:

Breathers_in_002a.jpg

Both head breathers T'ed together, then run under the manifold to the front intake pipe breather port:

Breathers_in_002b.jpg

This pic is showing the TT heater pipes, under the TMIC. With the STI y-pipe on, the drivers side heater hose has no room. The original BH firewall heater hose will be kinked and rubbing on the y-pipe:

heater_pipes_under_TMIC_001.jpg

It will also make fitting/removing the TMIC a PITA and still be in the way once the version 7 STI manifold/TMIC go on:

heater_pipes_under_TMIC_002.jpg

The version 5/6/7 run one of the hard lines sideways towards the left bank head, leaving clear space for the STI y-pipe. Here's a GDA heater pipe I'm thinking about swapping over:

Single_turbo_heater_pipe_001.jpg

While waiting for parts and the manifold was off. I've painted and installed the version 7 block coolant crossover pipe.

Version 5/6 STI: (uses the smaller temp sensor for the dash temp gauge)

Heater_pipes_changed_008.jpg

Version 7 WRX/STI:

Coolant_crossover_gange_V6_V7_002.jpg

My original BH5B top hose/alloy pipe was the same as the version 5/6, with the angled front. Now I'll have to fit the GDA/GDB top radiator hose, (less of a bend in top hose). Bottom outlet/hose stays the same. :)

On ‎8‎/‎06‎/‎2014 at 10:42 PM, GC82GO said:

Looking at your photos makes me wanna take my motor out and clean It, nice motor build man...

Thanks GC82GO, it's taking so long I ran out of parts to clean up.

really? odd; I thought mine was straight(just checked pictures, it isn't) ; as I'd bought Silicone radiator hoses for a GC8(a while ago) but they didn't match up properly :/ assumed BH had simply used GD style radiator changes...

To finish of the BOV recirc, I've fitted a 425mm length of 28mm I/D straight reinforced silicone hose to the new intake pipe:

GDA_heads_001.jpg

Manifold back on with all engine breathers and BOV recirculation sorted. Also the relocated TT heater pipe:

Recirc_in_001.jpg

The new twin scroll dipstick should be here early this week:

Done_001.jpg

While working through the engine bay cleaning I've swapped the clutch master cylinders over. This is the original BH that will be jammed underneath the version 7 STI TMIC when it goes in:

Clutch_master_swap_002.jpg

The new version 7 STI clutch master cylinder fitted:

Clutch_master_swap_011.jpg

Here's the two side by side. The version 7 STI master cylinder has two hard lines running to the slave cylinder, the BH only has one. So I've blocked the front GDB port with a threaded blanking bung:

Clutch_master_swap_006.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The version 6 STI J2 ECU went in this evening. I've used these ECU pinouts:

BE/BH rev ABC:

http://www.brdevelopments.com/docs/MY99%20Legacy%20TwinTurbo%20ECU%20pinout.pdf

Version 5/6 WRX/STI:

http://www.brdevelopments.com/docs/MY99ecu.pdf

Fuel pump relay pin moved.

The WRX/STI runs wasted spark with cylinders 1&2 and 3&4 firing in pairs, so only 2 pins/wires used at the ECU. The TT uses COP (coil on plug) with a separate ECU pin/wire for each cylinders coil.

The STI ECU boost control solenoid, uses the same pin as the BH primary boost solenoid inside the F/L guard. I want to use my ECV solenoid in the BBOD for boost control so I've swapped the pins/wires over at the ECU.

Here's a diagram showing the pins I've changed, using the STI diagrams plug numbers:

Red_J2_into_BHB_Copy.jpg

To change ECU pins, I've popped the white clamp section of the ecu plug up with a flat head screwdriver, the white section lifts about 2mm:

Engine_bay_ready_ECU_in_017.jpg

Then gripped the wire I wanted near the plug with pliers, then a sharp tug and the pin pops out. I've labelled the wires to avoid mix ups, this is all four BE/BH coil on plug ignition wires/pins removed ready for splicing:

Engine_bay_ready_ECU_in_020.jpg

Cylinder 2 coil pin cut off, then the wire exposed at the same point on cylinder 1 wire:

Engine_bay_ready_ECU_in_022.jpg

Soldered together, cylinder 1 and cylinder 2 coils now firing together, (wasted spark).

Engine_bay_ready_ECU_in_023.jpg

All four ignition coil pin/wires spliced and heat shrinked, all other pins moved:

Engine_bay_ready_ECU_in_025.jpg

STI ECU installed ready to go:

Engine_bay_ready_ECU_in_026.jpg