Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

HOORAY for Govt cost cutting

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd think if they were really speed LIMITS they would enforce penalties from 51km onwards not 11km above said limit. It is revenue gathering, but you have to remember all the other good work police do around the country e.g search and rescue operations, children's road safety/bike safety.

Basically the whole system needs an overhaul, but its never likely to happen :'(

Guest Oscar

What is the alternative for breaking the law like speeding? A court appearance and a conviction+loss of licence if found guilty?

Yeah, I know what I'd rather have.

Guest keltik
 matdaymon said:

You'd think if they were really speed LIMITS they would enforce penalties from 51km onwards

Then anyone with a wonky speedo would be screwed. The problem really isnt with speed limits or road rules in my opinion. The driving test needs to be harder and more emphasis should be given on what to do when things go wrong. I was stunned when i wasnt tested on parallel parking or emergency stops. All i had to do was pilot the car around town without scaring anyone, then a u-turn on an empty road.

Hell even teaching people how to sit in a drivers seat properly would save a few lives/horrific injuries.

Oscar said:

What is the alternative for breaking the law like speeding? A court appearance and a conviction+loss of licence if found guilty?

if they were serious about reducing the road toll then yep thats what would happen, but there not, they are just looking for an easy way to gather extra coin and because a car requires constant looking at the speedo to see what speed your doing....(yes there are exception like cruise control etc) which i think is dumb in itself as your no longer concerntratiing on the road ahead. (potential for more accidents)

unfortunatly the police they are given the job by the govt under the guise of saving lives....

id rather see a complusury "safe driving test" or similar and if you dont show up and pass then upgrade it to a criminal charge. this way you will be changing the mindset, and eventaully you wouldn't have speeding as an issue, but then they will find another way of taxing you - as if its not bad enough now!

Guest Oscar
 dubbedup']

[quote name='Oscar said:

/quote]

if they were serious about reducing the road toll then yep thats what would happen, but there not, they are just looking for an easy way to gather extra coin and because a car requires constant looking at the speedo to see what speed your doing....(yes there are exception like cruise control etc) which i think is dumb in itself as your no longer concerntratiing on the road ahead. (potential for more accidents)

unfortunatly the police they are given the job by the govt under the guise of saving lives....

id rather see a complusury "safe driving test" or similar and if you dont show up and pass then upgrade it to a criminal charge. this way you will be changing the mindset, and eventaully you wouldn't have speeding as an issue, but then they will find another way of taxing you - as if its not bad enough now!

Or use the Finland driving test as a model to base the NZ test on. The whole system needs an overhaul, one thing isn't going to fix it.

keltik']

[quote name='matdaymon said:

You'd think if they were really speed LIMITS they would enforce penalties from 51km onwards

/quote]

Then anyone with a wonky speedo would be screwed.

But then they'd have a very good incentive to fix them then wouldn't they?

I agree with you on the teaching drivers though, especially the seat one! Little "ganksta" twats driving around not able to see over the steering wheel! Would be nice if their airbags failed and knocked their ****ing heads off!

Guest dynofiend

Dont blame the police for the job they are given to do, the tools they are given to do it with, or the system they have to work within. None of those things are within the power of the police to change!

dynofiend said:

Dont blame the police for the job they are given to do, the tools they are given to do it with, or the system they have to work within. None of those things are within the power of the police to change!

this is true, but they can surgest to govt to change things...

Guest loren
 dynofiend said:

I'm not sure why, but whenever someone on here, hears the Police being criticised, they immediately think of the uniformed Police on the street,

and become all defensive of them... and can't see that maybe people are criticising the Police establishment, and all the managers and

politicians etc that control the Police... not the individuals handing out tickets/following orders.

Pretty stupid really.

It's also funny that once upon a time, there was the traffic police, MOT, and the actual Police. The MOT were a completely different organisation

to the Police. Everyone hated the MOT... then they were merged with the Police. I heard from a cop that I was at uni with, that the real Police,

the people who were police in the times of the MOT, also hated the Police that were once MOT, and got "promoted" to being real Police officers.

They called them the "snakes".

i have no problems with them, but the system is corrupt, and unfortuantly its gonna stay that way untill enough people band together to stop it...NZ is slowly spiraling out of control, it has become far to PC, there is a rebellion brewing, but not im my generation.

(i read above and all i can think off is a 911 truth activist lol)

Guest keltik

Your being way too dramatic. Rebellion? Corrupt? Spiraling out of control?!?

Go live in the UK for a bit. New Zealands doing just fine if you ask me.

• General Member

Or south America.

Mate of mine got some amazing footage of a guy being hit by a speeding car in Brazil. Old guy got out of the BMW, handed the cop and the guy he hit a wad of cash each and drove away.

Wont see that in NZ.

- Edit - Actualy more stuffed it into the coat of the guy he hit.

Johnnynz said:

Or south America.

Mate of mine got some amazing footage of a guy being hit by a speeding car in Brazil. Old guy got out of the BMW, handed the cop and the guy he hit a wad of cash each and drove away.

Wont see that in NZ.

yeah, nobody in nz has wads of cash

• General Member
 wrx_lou']

[quote name='Johnnynz said:

Or south America.

Wont see that in NZ.

/quote]

yeah, nobody in nz has wads of cash

Lol, im from Wanganui man, its the first wad of cash I ever saw aue...

Guest swiftbrad
 loren said:

I heard from a cop that I was at uni with, that the real Police,

the people who were police in the times of the MOT, also hated the Police that were once MOT.

and this one time, at band camp...-

Guest loren
 swiftbrad']

[quote name='loren said:

I heard from a cop that I was at uni with, that the real Police,

the people who were police in the times of the MOT, also hated the Police that were once MOT.

/quote]

and this one time, at band camp...-

you're just trolling brad. nothing to offer.

I had a real interesting chat with the last highway patrol cop that gave me a speeding ticket. He was one of those ones parked up in the shadows on a deserted straight piece of highway late at night.. anyway. He readily admitted that it was all just a bit of a game, And wasn't really about safety at all.

His words? "yeah mate, i know the roads well lit, two lanes wide and completely empty, but (wry smile) the law's the law!"

At which point he starts tellig me about the speeds he's busted people at down there, complementing my car, and agreeing with my assertation that its all a bit of a game.

I'm kinda hoping that this whole radar business could be signalling a shift in government focus when it comes to the police. God knows they need to have a greater presence where it matters, and less focus on being the countries second largest tax collector.

Guest keltik

If you need a radar to check a cars speed....is it really going dangerously fast?

Sure the radars usefull for proof, but if a cars hooning down any stretch of road at an unsafe speed it should be obvious to the naked eye

Guest loren
 keltik said:

If you need a radar to check a cars speed....is it really going dangerously fast?

Sure the radars usefull for proof, but if a cars hooning down any stretch of road at an unsafe speed it should be obvious to the naked eye

They don't even need proof... it's their word against yours, and in court their's is worth a whole lot more.

Guest loren
 pl0x said:

Im sure they need the radar reading, if you ask to see it and they cant then they cant give you ****??

They are allowed to follow you, noting the speed on their speedo... and that's all the evidence they need. no radar required.

I believe more experienced officers are allow to just make an estimate based on looking at you, and that is allowable as evidence in court... no radar or speedo.

loren']

[quote name='pl0x said:

Im sure they need the radar reading, if you ask to see it and they cant then they cant give you ****??

/quote]

They are allowed to follow you, noting the speed on their speedo... and that's all the evidence they need. no radar required.

I believe more experienced officers are allow to just make an estimate based on looking at you, and that is allowable as evidence in court... no radar or speedo.

Not any more.

Was proven the officers sense of speed was affected by traffic around him and weather conditions believe it or not.

Guest loren
 Swindog']

[quote name='pl0x said:

/quote]

Not any more.

Was proven the officers sense of speed was affected by traffic around him and weather conditions believe it or not.

well that's good.