Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Engine Rattle Under Load

Guest r0ksta

Guest r0ksta

Plenty of others? Please show me then as Ive found only less that one handful that seem like anything that is worth a glance.

rsb_leggy said:

change your colour options there might be a few more. but yeah there seems to be way less sedans than wagons a

that could be because Subaru sell over twice as many wagons then sedans( dont ask me why :) )

Leaks at cam seals =no

leaks at cam covers= YES it is designed in(and yes this is in jest)

r0ksta said:

Oh forgot to mention, the compression tests on all 4 came out all fine, so would that be an indication if it was an engine/piston problem?

The AA inspector said it was in the front of the engine and could be heard if you popd the lid up

why did the AA inspector have the hood open driving up a hill?

also what sort of an AA inspector could not be a wee bit more specific as to where the noise is and what is causing it...

Also where is the car as some one on here maybe close enough to go have a look for you

( I doubt I will be as u mentioned an AA inspector and there aint none of them around here)

From Experience.

option 1. Heatshield on up-pipe. It's at the front of the engine, and can rattle to varying degrees.

Option 2. Heatshield on Down pipe. At the rear of the engine, and can rattle under load at between 2-4k.

Option 3. Pinking. Detonation. The car is being run on too low a octane Fuel. STAY AWAY. this car will likeley blow the bigend.

Option 4. Damaged Keyway on crank. Will need a new crank/pully wheel.

Option 5. One of about two million other things that could be loose/broken. Its a rattle. Impossible to diagnose over the net, especially with third hand information!

Those are your top 5 options.

Guest r0ksta
 RSB said:

From Experience.

option 1. Heatshield on up-pipe. It's at the front of the engine, and can rattle to varying degrees.

Option 2. Heatshield on Down pipe. At the rear of the engine, and can rattle under load at between 2-4k.

Option 3. Pinking. Detonation. The car is being run on too low a octane Fuel. STAY AWAY. this car will likeley blow the bigend.

Option 4. Damaged Keyway on crank. Will need a new crank/pully wheel.

Option 5. One of about two million other things that could be loose/broken. Its a rattle. Impossible to diagnose over the net, especially with third hand information!

Those are your top 5 options.

Thank you, that is what I was looking for.

The car is in Nelson. Its going to a mechanics today and they will ring and tell me what they find.

Its from the FRONT of the engine and seems to be a rattle/chatter rather than a internal knocking sound if that is any help.

My suspicion is the heat shield or something else that is loose and chattering/rattling around.

But the AA Inspector definately said in the front of engine, slight rattle/chatter.

climb under with a large spanner. gently tap all heightsheilds. Usually goes 'clunk', a loose one will make a rattle noise

The main reason why people are jumping to doom and gloom is because its only under load. Normally a heatsheild rattles whether loaded or not, just depends on being at right revs. Big end bearings/pinking etc are most noticable under load.

just my 2c worth. my old leggy wagon (in my sig) had a really bad metallic rattle (it even fit the stones in a tin can description 100%)... but it only happened when decelerating at about 4-5k rpm. That was my up-pipe heat shield. I just jumped under there, when the engine was cold and grabbed every heatshield and gave it a good shake. It was pretty damn obvious the one that was loose....

If its only when the engine is loaded up, i'd say its det, but i dunno... the interweb is a useless thing for describing noises and guessing what they are.

Guest r0ksta

Success!!!!!

Bought a 1996 Legacy RS!

Currently has a race pro BOV and some 'stage 4' exhaust. Exhaust is not quite what I would like, not really loud enough to get that subaru rumble. Looks basically just like its just a resonator and thats all thats been put on.

What can I get down south in Chch or Dunedin or Invercargill that can make it sound louder and get that real rumble going on instead of having a sort of rumble like it is now. Dont want the high end crakle that some of them get but whats the best for that deep down low rumble toned exhaust note? A proper cat back? Cats out? Sizes?

Appreciate any info guys.

Choice.

why do you have 2 threads asking the SAME question???

come to pizza night on wednesday night (you're in chch i believe), see if you like the sounds from any of the cars, then ask what exhaust they have. then go get your own.

r0ksta said:

Success!!!!!

Bought a 1996 Legacy RS!

Currently has a race pro BOV and some 'stage 4' exhaust. Exhaust is not quite what I would like, not really loud enough to get that subaru rumble. Looks basically just like its just a resonator and thats all thats been put on.

What can I get down south in Chch or Dunedin or Invercargill that can make it sound louder and get that real rumble going on instead of having a sort of rumble like it is now. Dont want the high end crakle that some of them get but whats the best for that deep down low rumble toned exhaust note? A proper cat back? Cats out? Sizes?

Appreciate any info guys.

Choice.

Was this the one that had the rattle and if it was what was it?

Guest r0ksta

Yea Im in Chch only for tonight as I go to keep moving south...

To answer some questions. I thought Id see what reponse I would get from people over 2 threads and also yes it was the one with the apparant 'rattle'. The AA Report said it had large scratches, bumper ding etc etc so I flew down to expect the worst. The 'scratch' they indentified as 'large' was about 5 inches long and hardly noticible. The rattle was no where to be heard at all, Im wondering if the inspector was mistaking it for the actual engine noise haha but I have noticed (like on my 97 WRX STi I had years ago) when starting from cold cold, the pistons make a little rattle until its warmed up to temp, and IF anything, i would think it was that the AA dude was picking up.

What gas do you guys run your cars on? Im currently pumping bp ultimate 98 into mine, works good? Can they go on 91 or na? The dude I bought it off reckond his mates car blew up by putting 91 in it...hmm

Guest r0ksta

I dont mind running it on the highest octane, I was just asking whether it was possible and reasons why it would not be possible to run them on 91, just out of interest. I seek out BP Ultimate anywhere I am in NZ. Ran my Holden on it and it worked a treat until it went way over $2 being premium but now its sitting around 1.70 something I think