Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

highest octain?

• General Member

Im with the Force Ten fans, I have been using it with no issues since I got my rebuild.

Done almost 20,000 k on it no trouble.

And while were on the subject, if you regard using Ethanol blend as taboo you bvetter come around pretty quick, its my understandin that by 2010 (I think) all fuel companys must offer an ethanol blend as an option.

As it so far Gull and Mobil have done it to there 98 im guessing BP and shell (do they do 98?) will also.

Guest boostin

I ran on Force 10 for a while. I seemed to have a lot higher fuel consumption on it though, like 100kms less per tank than Synergy 8000.

boostin said:

I ran on Force 10 for a while. I seemed to have a lot higher fuel consumption on it though, like 100kms less per tank than Synergy 8000.

Is your Synergy 8000 not 10% Ethanol? As it is down here, mind you I did hear someone say it was being trialled here first...?

Guest boostin
 Munkvy']

[quote name='boostin said:

/quote]

Is your Synergy 8000 not 10% Ethanol? As it is down here, mind you I did hear someone say it was being trialled here first...?

Nope. Only Gull is 10% up here.

boostin said:

Interesting, I got a increase in mileage per tank (decrease in consumption) - based on 12 month logbooks covering just under 62000Km in a Falcoon...

The only detailed comparisons I have is from Targa last year - I was doing a job that required us to go through the stages before everyone and we were in a bit of a hurry ;) (road was closed most of the time). I used BP98, Gull Force 10 and Mobil 8000, I found no discernable difference in fuel economy between any of them (we travelled in excess of 3000km during the week and used over $800 in fuel). However it was hardly the must subjective of tests, as we had different weather conditions, different levels of driver enthusiasm and different levels of weight onboard. So the only consistency was that it was the same car, driver and similar kays between refuels :) And yeah, no discernable economy difference.

AFAIK

Rally NZ conducted some tests for the NZ rally championship on pump fuels. AVgas being leaded is slowly being banned from some motorsports.

Anyways E10 made the most power but fuel consumption was higher.

It was going to be mandatory for all pump fuel in NZ to have 10% ethanol but that has now been scrapped.

Qwerty said:

Anyways E10 made the most power but fuel consumption was higher.

It was going to be mandatory for all pump fuel in NZ to have 10% ethanol but that has now been scrapped.

Bit of a bummer, an interesting but semi-useless fact (possibly) is that E10 burns cleaner therefore there are less deposits in ya engine...

Just on avgas. The majority of avgas sold in NZ is 100LL. That is, 100 octane - low led, and has a pale blue label. So watch the stuff with LL written next to it, as mentioned earlier in the thread, it kills o2 sensors over time. Unleaded avgas is also available, i have no idea where from though.

And avgas jetfuel/AvTur/JetA1

Guest loren
 nzkaosnz said:

hmmm - in chch, they sell at the track. When we were there, the guy just let us fill cars directly before trackday - no msnz licence required. That was a while ago.

by the by, avgas != jetfuel.

kerosene = jetfuel

• 2 weeks later...

Avgas or Racegas which is typically BP106 is all the same.

The only difference between Avgas and Racegas, according to BP who I rang to find out, is that "Racegas" is Avgas that is too old to use in planes.

So the smarmy faced w***er at the servo got upset with me when I corrected him about all the extra goodness that is in BP106 "Racegas" that he was trying to palm off at $3-20 a litre.

If you want Avgas then you can usually buy it from an aero club, but must go into a container. You should take two containers tho.

When they are filling up the second container you tip the first one in your car and then offer it up again for filling.

The best Avgas to get is the stuff the helicopter pilots use. Thier stuff is always fresh whereas the aeroclub stuff may be a little old.

Dont bother stocking up for a rainey day either as it will go off after about 3 months even in a sealed container.

loren said:

at wellington airport you can get two flavours of avgas, BP at the aero club, and shell

at the flight school only 100 meters away. both way cheaper than at the track.

What sort of liter prices are we talking..

I'm coming down for a three day sales trip next week and may chuck a couple of containers in the company car..

Guest loren
 madmike']

[quote name='loren said:

at wellington airport you can get two flavours of avgas, BP at the aero club, and shell

/quote]

I'm coming down for a three day sales trip next week and may chuck a couple of containers in the company car..

I haven't bought any since April, so don't know exactly... I think when petrol was around $2, avgas was $2.50. It's usually about 50 cents cheaper than at Manfield anyway.

madmike']

[quote name='loren said:

/quote]

Mike, just get Avgas from the Taonui airfield on the way to Manfeild. As Loren said, its about 50 cents per litre cheaper than the Mobil near the track. I got some the other week and it has now gone up to $2.20/litre.