Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

WHAT POWER CAN FACTORY MAIN STUDS HANDLE

lol. it amazes me that someone building a motor capable of 450 kw would come on here and ask that question.

makes me think that you don't have a sh1t show of making an engine that can handle that power level.

loner said:
lol. it amazes me that someone building a motor capable of 450 kw would come on here and ask that question.

makes me think that you don't have a sh1t show of making an engine that can handle that power level.

it amazes me too. I heard from ppl thy be fine then i hear from others change them. Thought id ask the good ol clubsubbers as theres alot of knowledgable ppl on here.

nextlevel said:
it amazes me too. I heard from ppl thy be fine then i hear from others change them. Thought id ask the good ol clubsubbers as theres alot of knowledgable ppl on here.

Seriously though, if you are going to build a subaru engine capable of 400 to 450 kw, you must have built many engines

in the past and have attained a whole lot of first hand knowledge... surely.

Edited by loner

lachlan said:
wtf are you going to do with a 400 kw wrx ? is it a race car or just for bragging ?

Drag car in low 11s iirc.

Get a proper builder dude dont want to end up fckd over, out of pocket and car like minhaaj.

As for the q theres no real answer they could cause issues at any level. Replace them with arp if shooting for 350wkw- as you will only want more later.

Lol ARP 260-4701 can be had for about $250 fairly sure factory subaru oem headstuds will cost about that anyway and you certainly wouldn't re use them.. not that i think they will handle 400kw so why would you even consider using factory studs when your doubling the factory output? i would use L19

Edited by hijacka

FWIW when your finshed torquing the head down leave it over night and re torque the head the following day.. i end up with 95lbs on a/b and 90 on the rest using arp have always found the next day will need another 5lbs or there abouts

whoops main studs.. hmmm factory will be fine just makesure you replace the seal washers.. arp would be alot better! they have a very nice mains tud kit thats worth getting imo you'll pay around 500 for it but its a nice bit of kit

• Admin
 hijacka said:
FWIW when your finshed torquing the head down leave it over night and re torque the head the following day.. i end up with 95lbs on a/b and 90 on the rest using arp have always found the next day will need another 5lbs or there abouts

To throw a cat amongst the pigeons, any reason you torque to a value rather than to stretch?

I'm cautiously building my first motor at the moment and anything like that is getting done to a stretch value not a twist one... partly because so much can affect torque value, like lubricated vs dry threads, whereas stretch (and inherently clamp force) is a constant.

lol at measuring stretch on the the main studs . yeah def measuring stretch on something a foot long in thou .

like the training for just about every industry standard in every thing says . "as per manufacturers recommendations"

im against re torquing stuff . unless specified . you will find you are just squashing the head and can keep torquing for ever if you did . the proper clamp ( seal ) is achieved as a by product of bolt tension vs material compression . re torquing it isnt acheving anything than maybe removing some elasticity of head / block that is probably required .

boon said:
To throw a cat amongst the pigeons, any reason you torque to a value rather than to stretch?

I'm cautiously building my first motor at the moment and anything like that is getting done to a stretch value not a twist one... partly because so much can affect torque value, like lubricated vs dry threads, whereas stretch (and inherently clamp force) is a constant.

If you use arp head studs you use the lub that comes with it and install to there specs however i go 30/60/85/ then 95lbs on a and b and 90 on the rest. just remember to leave it over night and re-do the last sequence, Oem bolts are stretch bolts thats why you do 90' swings backoff blah blah.

• Admin
 lachlan said:
lol at measuring stretch on the the main studs . yeah def measuring stretch on something a foot long in thou .

like the training for just about every industry standard in every thing says . "as per manufacturers recommendations"

im against re torquing stuff . unless specified . you will find you are just squashing the head and can keep torquing for ever if you did . the proper clamp ( seal ) is achieved as a by product of bolt tension vs material compression . re torquing it isnt acheving anything than maybe removing some elasticity of head / block that is probably required .

Subaru case bolts are a bit of an exception really. But rod bolts, that kinda thing, if you dig hard enough the manufacturer usually does specify a stretch value as well as a torque option.

As long as it works though, I guess.

evowrx said:
Drag car in low 11s iirc.

Get a proper builder dude dont want to end up fckd over, out of pocket and car like minhaaj.

As for the q theres no real answer they could cause issues at any level. Replace them with arp if shooting for 350wkw- as you will only want more later.

True is manaj car screwd . Nah im building again. Already got all the parts just purchased arp main stud kit 2 hours ago online thats the last peice of the puzzle. .

10sec the goal this nytwars. Already got 11.4 missing all the way down lol

Actually measuring the stretch is impossible on the case BOLTS because you cant get at the other end when tightening to make a measurement and they are BOLTS!. head studs etc are possible. angle torque is the most accurate method when stretch cant be measured.