Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Needing v7 wrx help

Kyleej15turbohelp

If you can get a tune for that money, do that. Factory the ECU does run rich and you can make money + more economy with a simple tune. Plus the car will feel a lot nicer to drive.

I have a version 8 WRX wagon and all I have done is:

- TD05

- Silicone intake

- Deatchwerks DW200 fuel pump

- Spark plugs

- Decatted downpipe

And a road tune and the car feels 100x happier and wants to move.

Be careful what you read on the Subaru Parts NZ page.. there's more to it than bolting on a VF30.

Realistically, what I would have done in your shoes is saved up, bought a 2.5" Turbo back exhaust, DW200 or Walbro fuel pump, turbo of your choice then get it all installed and straight off to get tuned. Then look at an engine later if your current one is limiting power or blows up.

And also read: http://clubsub.org.nz/forum/showthread.php?37777-How-to-get-power-out-of-your-WRX-STI

Edited by Timmah

Kyleej15turbohelp said:
Yea thanks I was looking at that a chip tune is around 1250$ I was thinking maybe doing v7 Sti turbo injectors and v7 sti ecu.

Would this work

Chip tune? shouldn't need one, factory ECU is reflashable.

VF30 will bolt on, you'll need oil and water lines.

Injectors will fit.

V7 STi shouldn't be needed as your ECU is reflashable, unless the STi ECU has more cells for tuning.. not worth it.

Kyleej15turbohelp said:
I might follow that link you sent me starting with the breathing modifications the reflash to get the most out of it following on to the turbo, injectors and fuel pump then reflash again.

Sounds like a good plan. Hopefully there is a tuner in your area who is reasonably priced and future retunes will be discounted :)

A Deatchwerks DW200 fuel pump is pretty affordable and depending on the K's your car has done, it might pay to bump it up the priority list: http://www.nzperformance.co.nz/fuel-system/fuel-pumps/deatschwerks/dw200-500hp-intank-pump-subaru.html

There was a user a while back who had a V7 WRX wagon and with a 2.5" exhaust and a retune, he was getting 180kw, but of course his top end was lacking due to the TD04.

My car has only done 147 thousand Ks so pretty good, I'm gonna be sure to have a look around Auckland. Most mechanics are pretty reasonable to young ones like me. Gonna buy a 3 inch catless turbo back exhaust and a bigger TMIC as well as a decat up pipe as I can afford them. Will also search for a decent ecu reflash price and save for that. So the wrx build begins.

nice exhaust (swap up pipe if your one has a cat)

sti top mount (or FMIC if you want)

VF23/30/22 turbo

decap injectors if you can or sti pinks

tune

will be a nice street car all over. have done a few of them and they get a lot better over the stock wrx setup.. dont need to push too much boost to get some decent results

boon said:
How the f*ck is an un-tuned GDA ECU running a GDB EJ207? By rights it should be freaking the hell out over a variety of things. At the very least I would expect that it is knocky as hell.

I agree!

Then again my Version 8 ECU has been running an unknown engine with not too much issue for 10,000k's before it was tuned... Mechanic suspects it's from a Forry.

I think to get the best advice you need to be a bit more forthcoming

Didn't you have a n/a impreza you were turboing? Is this still the case or do you have a non-sti wrx which now has a v7 block, with some other heads on it

Making good power is very simple with these - factory sti turbo (from pretty much any generation), decent exhaust, fuel pump and squirters, either the V7 STi top mount or better yet a front mount, and a retune and you'll see 200kW ATW give or take. It doesn't make for a big flash spec list but it gets the job done just as effectively as the guy spending double on shiny bits

In the real world it's a fckload for a street car especially a low budget one, no need to spend money on extra bits and bobs at this point - avcs is brilliant for waking it up faster and giving more overall but it's quite a pricey undertaking if you aren't building the motor yourself.

The reflash you can semi safely DIY, or there's a few members who I'm sure would donate a couple hours to do one with you. It isn't rocket science so long as you don't get greedy, 95% of the hard work is done for you by off the shelf tunes - for whatever reason a lot of the NZ community seems to be a bit afraid of it at times