Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

B4 Brakes! are they good enough?

Hey Everyone,

Im currently loving my B4 except the brakes, These things go very fast and yet they decided to put brakes on them that look they came off a 1600 corolla or something. Its not just the looks that concern me they dont pull you up very quickly either which in a car like this is of quite some concerne. Im no expert but they dont even look like 2 pots havent all WRX's with the same power had at least 2 pots and some of the newer ones 4 pots?

Does anyone else find them under rated for the car?

JoKer said:

new/better pads/fluid

Yeah I concur... my wagon has smaller discs than the b4 with two pots. Good fluid with good set of pads made a huge difference....... I still want 4 pots for the track however but for around town they are fine..

JoKer said:

new/better pads/fluid

yes most are as big as STI's of same era

Hmmm ive been scouring trademe and you seem to be right (no surprises realy) but they do look lsightly smaller ill have to take your advice and get some better brake pads i think. will chaning the fluid help also?

GT_Head']

[quote name='JoKer said:

new/better pads/fluid

/quote]

Yeah I concur... my wagon has smaller discs than the b4 with two pots. Good fluid with good set of pads made a huge difference....... I still want 4 pots for the track however but for around town they are fine..

Definately 4 pots would be great, did your B4 have two pots hmmm im adamint mine arent ill take some pics and post them later tonight as im a bit of a noob when it comes to identifying breaks (btw my spelling probably sucks)

Guest keltik

If you dont have 2 pot calipers, i have a set for sale :D

New pads and it should pull up nicely. Bendix ultimates will set you back around $140 from BNT

keltik said:

If you dont have 2 pot calipers, i have a set for sale :D

New pads and it should pull up nicely. Bendix ultimates will set you back around $140 from BNT

Ill let you know tomorow if mine are two pot or not. Bendix seem to be quite good ive herd alot of good things about them.

Brembo ftw :-)

DSC01417.JPG

Are they better? Hell yeah! Do you need them? not really. At the end of the day, a good set of 4 pots with good pads and fluid will outperform a good set of 2 pots. Larger discs provide more stopping power than the 294mm standards. Keep an eye on trademe for the standard subbie 4 pots, theyll bolt straight in

Carbon said:

DSC01417.JPG

Are they better? Hell yeah! Do you need them? not really. At the end of the day, a good set of 4 pots with good pads and fluid will outperform a good set of 2 pots. Larger discs provide more stopping power than the 294mm standards. Keep an eye on trademe for the standard subbie 4 pots, theyll bolt straight in

grrr.. so want!! 4pots will do for now..

Carbon said:

DSC01417.JPG

nice rims, what are they?

Ive heard that braided brake lines are the most noticable upgrade for the brakes on these cars. You should also be able to find some cheap 4pots from sti Wrxs if you want something a bit bigger.

Guest loren

bigger area doesn't mean more pressure. Look at clutches... the hardocre clutches have much less area... i.e. 3 puck.

JoKer']

saw a discussion somewhere more pots doesn't necessarily improve braking (clamping) PRESSURE

only if pad area is increased (and it usually is) when úpgrading 'pots'

More "pots" generally increases braking "feel" if the rotor diameter and pad area is kept the same. To increase braking force (Using same friction material in the pads) you need to go to either a larger diameter rotor (which increases the braking torque applied by the pads) or to a larger area pad. The pads on the 2-pot and the 4-pot Subaru calipers are about the same and the rotors are both ~297mm

Also increasing the thickness of the rotor increases the heat dissapation of the rotor so the pads don't overheat as easily. Thats why if you want real brakes, you use the biggest diameter that fits in your wheels, with the thickest rotor (~32mm) and then the biggest caliper you can find, like a Tarox 12-piston caliper :P

[quote name='BigWillieStyles said:

Ive heard that braided brake lines are the most noticable upgrade for the brakes on these cars.

/quote]

Nope.

The most braided lines will do is give peace of mind.

;)

Agreed