Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

2000 WRX STi: What's it worth?

falco

Hi - value question. I've been offered this car in Japan, and wondering what I should be thinking about paying for it. It's a 2000 STi, pretty original and tidy, but very high k's - 248,000.

It can probably be registered in NZ, but I'd be running the risk that it'd be a parts car. What do you think it'd be worth here, both registered, and unregisterable?

wrx-sti.png

I doubt you would be able to register it. It will only have a 2 letter emission code. You can generally only register 2005 or later. Plus at the sort of mileage would it even be worthwhile as a parts car?

If it only has 2 letters in front of the GDA then it will not comply.

sti_zpsz9hdw8qn.png

It wouldn't be hard to register under the SIV programme (there are still even slots available this year), but I don't think that helps me that much. The mileage doesn't worry me greatly either. But I really just want a parts car; at this price and mileage, it doesn't seem worthwhile. Having done rough calculations, I'd be lucky to get away with less than NZ$6000 landed. I don't mind paying a premium for the STi bits, but that's going too far. I was pondering registering it and driving it around for a while, but that idea's completely unrealistic I think.

This is for my Brumby conversion project. Anyone know of any better options for engine (+ loom, computer etc), box, front suspension, complete brake assemblies all round? I'd prefer to buy a complete car so at least I know the engine starts and runs before I start pulling it to bits.

Would it make it in under SIV?

I don't actually know how many were built but I doubt it would be identified as a collectors item. It's not a coupe.

To have a vehicle identified as a special interest vehicle, the NZ Transport Agency must deem it to have historic value or it must meet three of the following four requirements:

The vehicle (or its make, model and submodel) is identified as being a collector’s item in one of the following magazines or their respective websites – Australian classic car, Car and driver (US),Automobile (US),Motor (Australia), Motor trend (US), New Zealand autocar, New Zealand classic car, Road and track (US),Top gear (UK),Top gear NZ, Unique cars (Australia) or Wheels (Australia)

The vehicle’s make and model has been (or was) manufactured in annual volumes of 20,000 units or less

The vehicle is, and was manufactured as, a two-door coupe or a convertible

The vehicle is, and was manufactured as, a high-performance vehicle.

Nope - an older coupe would make it easier. But depending how you define models (being an STi), it should come in under 20,000 units per year. That might be pushing it, but I know of a few questionable cases that went through OK. I don't think NZTA minds too much so long as you aren't being really cheeky. For me, it's all academic now anyway. Just need to find a parts car.

Alternative - any EJ20 single-turbo, halfway decent 5 speed manual box, Impreza front suspension/brakes, Impreza rear brakes. Just more messing around, and not as good a result. I'm not in any hurry though, I'll see what shows up.