Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Best bang for buck mods to go with Tune - 07 Spec B

jmalk

Looking at getting my Spec B tuned in the future and I'm looking at what mods to install prior to the tune to get the best bang for buck. I've heard you can make some pretty serious power with a few things like the Subtech DP, bigger TMIC and an intake system when paired with a good tune - does anyone have some advice on what track to go down?

I don't want a FMIC as I'm trying to keep it looking relatively factory, and looking at spending the money to get good quality parts (Process West intercooler, etc).

Not looking to get a particular HP number or anything - I'd basically like to make as much power as possible while keeping the motor resonably safe.

Edited by jmalk

• Admin

Processwest TMIC

Subtech downpipe, or just a downpipe decat

CAI

Silicone turbo inlet - not needed if on a tight budget.

3 port solenoid

Should get you to 160-170wkw fairly easily. Got 169kw on mine with the stock intercooler which at that point was the weakest link as it was struggling to keep intake temps down.

Definately don't do a front mount with a stock turbo, you'll be very dissapointed :(;)

They really don't flow enough to fill the extra pipe volume so low end response suffers quite a bit.

Probably wouldn't have done it on mine if going for a different blower wasn't in the near future

Edited by Andy_Mac

Andy_Mac said:
Processwest TMIC

Subtech downpipe, or just a downpipe decat

CAI

Silicone turbo inlet - not needed if on a tight budget.

3 port solenoid

Should get you to 160-170wkw fairly easily. Got 169kw on mine with the stock intercooler which at that point was the weakest link as it was struggling to keep intake temps down.

Definately don't do a front mount with a stock turbo, you'll be very dissapointed :(;)

They really don't flow enough to fill the extra pipe volume so low end response suffers quite a bit.

Probably wouldn't have done it on mine if going for a different blower wasn't in the near future

How much of the loss of response is tune related tho? Looks bad ass in person so fmic tis good.

• Admin
 evowrx']How much of the loss of response is tune related tho? Looks bad ass in person so fmic tis good.

Definately do love the look of it. Not sure, Matt reckons there's not many way's left to get it spooling any faster since its such a small comp to be filling that much piping. Not sure if he's gone down the route of really optimising the AVSC settings yet. Gonna have a chat to him on the phone tomorrow.

With the dyno results today, sure romraider/virtual dyno isn't very consistant but the final tune before the front mount had it sitting at 170-180kw/290-320nm which is still pretty close to what i'm getting with the logs currently so don't get how it was only ~10kw higher than the dyno with the old setup but today it was ~40kw. Had the laptop in the car so really should have had it running to see what the ecu was seeing for boost/iat/g/s and a few others.

Seeing 270ish g/s peak in road logs so that would definately equate to more than just 140wkw.

[quote name='killervq30de said:

As I found out today, dyno now and see how it's going. I thought mine was making ok stock power but looks like I'm running way rich sapping power.

Better that than too lean like most of the older imports. Even a tune with everything stock can net some pretty decent results.

Edited by Andy_Mac

sobanoodle said:
What sort of figures did stock 5AT spec.B produce? Curious as I went for a test drive in one just a few days back and it felt rather sluggish down low (at least) compared with mine (or maybe I was expecting too much).

I don't think you can base it off one car. I drove a manual 05 gt and 06 auto when I got mine and they both felt sluggish. Where as mine didn't. Same for when looking for a gtir years ago and 350gt skylines, some cars are just below par.

Andy_Mac said:
122kw. Was running fairly rich apparently so should have got more than that

If that's my figure then yeah and actually dropped under s# run. I blame no airflow and the running rich. The rich part makes sense as my car sits around 7.6 odd with 100% round town flooring where others seems to be round the 8.5s. Will have to look into o2 and knock sensors

I saw a 130kw, that's 30% drive train lost so seems reasonable

I would say that the cooling benefit of the FMIC will outweigh any reduction in response.

In saying that, I think something else is at play if your response has suffered with the introduction of FMIC. Was the FMIC installed and tested back to back with no other modifications at the time?

• Admin

Full throttle response is alright its just low load where the air is taking too long to get from the MAF to the o2 so the fuel trims are all on the piss as it thinks they're wrong, but really its just taking longer than expected to get through.

Fairly certain I have got a pre turbo exhaust leak because even before the frontmount it took a ****load longer to spool than most with the twinscroll leggy turbo.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

Lots more than you'd probably ever throw at it. Can get the line pressure upped with a tune which will help with slip alot. Look on some of the Aussie and US forums. There are guys on both who achieved some decent power before needing to go for the valve body mod which is when keeping the auto starts getting expensive.

Andy_Mac said:
Lots more than you'd probably ever throw at it. Can get the line pressure upped with a tune which will help with slip alot. Look on some of the Aussie and US forums. There are guys on both who achieved some decent power before needing to go for the valve body mod which is when keeping the auto starts getting expensive.

Thanks Andy once again!