Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

Does any body have pod filter installed on their BE/BH?

Hi all,

Does anybody have pod filter installed on their BE/BH? If so, are you guys using any sort of heatshield? The boost seems to stay at 6psi when moving from a heavy traffic (assuming this is due to the infamous heatsoak and the ECU going into some sort of retardation mode) so I had a look at this shield:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Carburation-induction/auction-234567666.htm

and I really don't think this is going to help at all.. Just wondering what you guys done in terms of shielding ur pods from the heat :)

Cheers

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got a pod on mine and it goes fine. With that said, I still wouldnt mind a shield.

There is a nice box one that Ive seen a company make, however that one looks quite good.

keltik said:

Have seen 3 turbos in the last 2 days with damaged compressor blades due to pod filters

How is that even possible to damage the turbine blades with a filter?

boostcut said:

when something is spinning at 100,000 rpm and more anything foreign in the air will damage it.

Similar to FOD (foreign object damage) aviation term used for aircraft taxing on the tarmac.. where foreign material is ingested into the aircrafts jet engine.

Reuben you must be proud of me hahaha 8)

D-Style said:

Had pod filter. Took it off and went back to standard airbox. Got sick of forever cleaning inlet, and replacing AFM. I did leave the ZS intake pipe on thou.

Everyone has different outcomes.. I change back to the factory airbox over summer as it gets quite hot back home.. during winter i change back to the POD, POD im using is part of the Zero/Sports Super Direct Flow Kit which has ZS POD Filter and bling Intake Pipe 8)

No AFM problems so far *touch wood* because the kit came with a very good bracket to prevent it from flexing and bumping around. I think most people put PODS on and they dont securely fasten their AFM.. hence why failures arise due to shock and vibrations when the AFM is flailing around unsecured.

Guest keltik

Actually most failures arise from the pod filters allowing a fine film of crap to accumulate on the wires. The crap doesnt have the same thermal properties so the sensor reads wrong and explodes big end bearings.

Or at least thats what i was led to believe.

keltik said:

Actually most failures arise from the pod filters allowing a fine film of crap to accumulate on the wires. The crap doesnt have the same thermal properties so the sensor reads wrong and explodes big end bearings.

Or at least thats what i was led to believe.

that could be also a factor too bro, im just giving my 2cents auuu 8)

That doesnt sound very nice, I might put my box back at some stage to be safe.

Ive got one of those stainless steel filters, im sure its not good at filtering. I have a apexi i was going to change it to try out.

Guest keltik

dsc04087custom.jpg

Miata net tested pod filters and paper filters for filtration ability and every single pod filter including K&N replacement panel filters came out crap. Countless other people have also tested pod filters vs paper filters on the dyno and seen no difference.

With the potential to damage air flow meters and turbos - why would you bother? Especially when removing the snorkus thing gives you a similar sound.

The only time i can see an advatage to using one would be if your intercooler piping doesnt allow room for the factory airbox

Guest keltik
 BC5RA said:

Come on now keltik.

Surely you are arguing from a longevity point of view?

Im just saying untill i see some proven consistant results - i see no good reason for a pod filter. ESPECIALLY on a fuel injected turbo motor with a delicate air flow sensor. On a non turbo n/a with no carbs and no afm - maybe its not so bad for longevity.

There is of course the obvious BAD idea to do it because its cooooool

Fair call.

For the most part it's a mod done by those who have no clue - thats where (I believe it gets it bad rep) I've not had lost any AFM's due to oil contamination or otherwise.

I've known a few who remove the Mesh pre-hotwire element through to running the AFM with no Filter on it at all.

keltik']

[quote name='BC5RA said:

Come on now keltik.

Surely you are arguing from a longevity point of view?

/quote]

Im just saying untill i see some proven consistant results - i see no good reason for a pod filter. ESPECIALLY on a fuel injected turbo motor with a delicate air flow sensor. On a non turbo n/a with no carbs and no afm - maybe its not so bad for longevity.

There is of course the obvious BAD idea to do it because its cooooool

I'd agree - std airbox desnorkled can make well over 200kw atw - which no TT will do anyways.

I doubt you would lose a turbo blade maybe wear abit more clearence on the blades and nick the leading edge.

With some of the poor filtration of the pods i'd worry about wearing out bores. lose abit of ve

The BE airbox is way way better than the old BC airbox ;)

my pod destroyed two AFMs, so im back on factory airbox with the shit in the guard removed, it sounds pretty much excatly the same as it did when the pod filter was on.

get a link so you can remove the AFM all together, then run a pod :P

I've run a Pod since i owned my car, only because the previous owner changed it and i don't have the equipment to go back to stock.

so far i haven't had any problems with it and I'm fully aware that one day i will have an issue but for now its nice and loud induction noise so staying

I've installed a simota pod since purchased and apparently they are notorioous for breaking afm, but hey

intake noise is increased and the standard bovs suddenly make some noise.

shame on me I know

ive seen afms goin cheap so guna try my luck *touch wood*