Please check your junk folder for registration emails ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $0.00

VF8 with Z4 ECU

SpeedySub

Hi guys

My knowledge on turbo things is very limited but trying to learn as much as possible.

I have a EJ20g running a Z4 ECU and a TD05. Very happy with the performance.

But I also have a VF8 that I would like to try out. Can I run the VF8 with the Z4 ECU? or will this cause problems as not the standard turbo for it and is slightly smaller.

Will it cause over boost/spikes? blow up my engine or will it be sweet?

I have tried googling and searching, but it only comes up with the TD05/Z4 combo.

Sweet. Just curious. I'll PM you my address and details.

As this is all new to me so trying to learn as I go.

Would be interesting to see the difference between the 2 turbos and ecus.

Im definatly not complaining about the power, just took it for  lunch time spin. I think Im becoming addicted to boost!. The Outback has hardly had a drive in the last 2 weeks, the misses has driven it more than me:P

• Subscribed Member

All good, I learnt a heck of a lot playing with that car and also got addicted to the boost :P It's hard not to want to drive it!

In this case, with the TD05 being a bigger turbo, the Z4 calls for more boost, and sooner. Giving it the additional fuel that is needed with that. 
So with the VF8 it may run quite rich, and just not as smooth as you'd expect.

I'll organise the stock ECU to be shipped up early next week :)

Ummmmm I would take a stab and say that it will run fine, be slightly less powerful over all but probably slightly quicker to spool. I'd stick with the td05, they are a great turbo for the ej20! Spend time/money upgrading other components before I'd waste $100 on a turbo swap (keeping in mind you'll have to do the gaskets around it). Swapping the turbo is not exactly a quick job, It'll take you half a day if you've never done it before and you'll need gaskets/exhaust goo/wire brushes/6 point socket set/offset spanners. All that for less power ? 

Defiantly have no issues with the TD05. Was just wondering how it would affect the VF8 and how it would produce power and at what revs .  As I said at the start my knowledge is very basic when it comes to turbos. I have the tools and time to do any work as it's not my daily. At this point it's more of a learning lesson to see what the car would be like with the original turbo and ecu and with a different ecu if possible.

TD05 is universally considered an upgrade from the VF8.

You current ecu is suited to the TD05, and runs 12.7psi and makes about 260hp.

TD05 has a 9 psi wastegate spring and the VF8 will have a 6 psi wastegate spring, if you rely on the ecu to control boost, then not running the correct ecu for the Turbo will result in poor boost control.

Easy method to circumvent this if needed but - I would stay with your current setup.

• Like 4