Sign in to follow this  
NTYCME

Noise after its been driven for a bit

Hey all

I've got a 3.0R manual wagon (BPE is it?) and for the last few months its been making a random noise

After I've been driving it for a bit when I turn sharply (as in in the driveway) it makes a clunking noise

It wont do anything after the 15-20min drive to work (city driving) but it will do it if I head out for say a half an hour drive on the open road. Could be heat related?

To me it sounds like I've got a locked dif lol

Any ideas?

8 hours ago, NTYCME said:

Hey all

I've got a 3.0R manual wagon (BPE is it?) and for the last few months its been making a random noise

After I've been driving it for a bit when I turn sharply (as in in the driveway) it makes a clunking noise

It wont do anything after the 15-20min drive to work (city driving) but it will do it if I head out for say a half an hour drive on the open road. Could be heat related?

To me it sounds like I've got a locked dif lol

Any ideas?

Full lock turns is usually how you check for stuffed axles / cv joints - they will do it regardless of temp tho as its a mechanical thing (sloppy joint).

I'm just thinking out loud, could be your clutch? aka low speed, full lock - would be closer to stalling, more load on the drive-train turning at full lock etc.

When did you last change the tranny / diff fluid? (transaxle?).

I sometimes get a very slight clunking sound when I reverse in full lock out of my driveway (cold) but I think thats the AWD system and loose gravel coming into play (trying to get traction).

You can jack the car up and spin the wheels to feel/hear play in the bearings and c.v's etc 

How many km's are on the car?

Last idea is that it could be the power steering perhaps - lots of things make similar noises haha

Edited by Omsin

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:28 AM, gotasuby said:

Your centre diff needs replacing. 

Sorry for the delay, didnt get a notification about this

With these legacy's will I need to replace the box or can the dif just get done?